Old 09-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default minipro 540 motor dyno

Just Came Today https://www.miniprousa.com 540 Motor Dyno
Old 09-09-2016, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Wish they gave more info on it. They don't tell you how to read it .. With all the connections it has how is it interfaced ?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

it looks like it's interfaced with the mini usb port to the PC and additional Sensors on to the board.
But I don't see sensors available for rpm and temperature.
How safe is it with these big fly wheels and low turn motors anyway.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys,

My apologies for not been as clear in the descriptions. We are currently working on adding more pictures, detail descriptions, and videos in the next couple of days.

Now, how the board works?

I took a few pictures now to share it here:

1. The board as the built in rpm sensor. That is the only built-in sensor on the board. The reason we did that is to make the board up gradable. When new sensors are released, only a simple firmware update will be required to use them.

2. The board has 5 type of ports:

-2 ports for temperature sensors - that will be in-stock next week.
-1 LCD Port
-1 Throttle port
-1 Current and voltage port

3. As for the safety of the flywheel - It has an enclosure aluminum case with screws in the front and bottom of the case.

Let me know if you guys have any questions
Attached Thumbnails minipro 540 motor dyno-1.jpg   minipro 540 motor dyno-2.jpg   minipro 540 motor dyno-3.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm thinking what people really want to know is what will we need to purchase in order to make the dyno usable, how does it all connect together, etc. I'm left with the following questions that I'm hoping your videos will answer:
1. The board that comes with the dyno, which has all the various ports, connects to a PC via a usb cable? Is it provided with the dyno?
2. With only the rpm sensor that comes with the board, the computer software will read the RPM sensor via the usb part and you can see RPM over time on a graph in the software?
2. To use the temperature ports, you will have to purchase separate temperature sensors the plug into the sensor board and can be connected to the motor and/or battery?
3. The LCD port will display information from the last run on the dyno? I'm guessing this is for using the dyno without a computer? Maybe shows some averages of the numbers that were captured?
4. The current and voltage ports are for plugging in separate daughter/expander boards that will allow the current draw of the motor and the voltage samples to be taken while the dyno spins up? This data will also be gathered by the PC via the usb port and used to display via the computer software along with the RPM.
5. How much will the extra cables, modules, ect, cost?

Any information would be helpful.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

And to add a Question or 2.
Will it be able to monitor the timeing of the motor thru the sensor board ?
Will it come equipped with a esc or do we interface are own? I could see a nitch for either one ...
Mod guys would like to check boost and timing effects
Spec guys would like to use a std no boost esc with steady voltage power supply to keep consistancy.
Will the pc run the throttle input thru the board to a esc?
What motor range has been tested ?
Will pc show a graph showing the acceleration (tq)curve , power, efficiency, amp draw ?
And last but not least ,
On a given motor ,let's say a 17.5 , how long does it take to spool up with this wheel ?
Old 09-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This was on the web site description.

So I am guessing you test with the ESC of your choice

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION

Torque: 1N/m Max (with GT2 2mm Belt)
RPM: 100K Max
Units: English & Metric
Adjustable Reading and Logging Rate: 20Hz, 10Hz, 5Hz, and 2Hz.
PACKAGE CONTENTS

mini D for Motors Kit with 124mm Alu. Flywheel
540 Motor Mount
16T-3.175mm Shaft Pulley
mini D Electronic Board v1.1
**Motor, ESC & USB Cable are sold separately **
SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS

Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10

I'm interested in knowing if you can vary the load at all, say I want to test a 17.5 at 22 amps to get an loaded rpm reading...or a 13.5 at say 37 amps at a lower voltage.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour
ThiI'm interested in knowing if you can vary the load at all, say I want to test a 17.5 at 22 amps to get an loaded rpm reading...or a 13.5 at say 37 amps at a lower voltage.
The load comes from accelerating the flywheel from a standstill until the motor hits its max rpm and can no longer accelerate. Initially it'll pull over 100A, and drop to a few amps by the time it's at max rpm. There's no need to vary anything else.

Not sure about the belt drive, that'll need to be very tight to prevent slip and adds an extra unknown variable.

And they'll need way more than a 45A current sensor.

Good to see an off the shelf tool available though, should provide people with hours of fun.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This works like the Fantom Dyno which can be modified for brushless motors. Data is the same. Big advantage to the Fantom is no belt. The flywheel mounts directly to the motor. I have two of them but I find that a Turbo Dyno is more informative.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Answers:

1. The board that comes with the dyno, which has all the various ports, connects to a PC via a usb cable? Is it provided with the dyno?

-The board connects to a PC via USB cable. The board is included in the dyno, but the cable is not. Is a simple micro usb cable (android usb cable will work)

2. With only the rpm sensor that comes with the board, the computer software will read the RPM sensor via the usb part and you can see RPM over time on a graph in the software?

That is correct. The rpm sensor reads the timing between the markers and send the number via usb to the graphic software. In the software you can see it (1) Live; (2) in the graph ; and (3) on the Summary Screen that shows the max rpm. In addition, you CAN add more markers to the flywheel and change the settings in the board.

2. To use the temperature ports, you will have to purchase separate temperature sensors the plug into the sensor board and can be connected to the motor and/or battery?

That is correct. The sensor will be connected to the board and you can connect 1 to the battery, and the second one to the motor.

4. The current and voltage ports are for plugging in separate daughter/expander boards that will allow the current draw of the motor and the voltage samples to be taken while the dyno spins up? This data will also be gathered by the PC via the usb port and used to display via the computer software along with the RPM.

-That is correct. Right now I'm using an AttoPilot and they have a 45A, 90A, and 180 amp sensors. I will have my own current/voltage sensor later this fall. But the key point is that you can use different type of current sensors and experiment. You will not be stuck with my sensor or attopilot.

The current and voltage will be saved in the graph, and you can see the max values at the specific rpm. Example, the motor had a 23.1amps @12,000rpm. I attached a quick screen capture of the application showing the summary page. Please ignore the actual values because those were taking a long time ago

I hope i answer your question.

Originally Posted by tbrymer
I'm thinking what people really want to know is what will we need to purchase in order to make the dyno usable, how does it all connect together, etc. I'm left with the following questions that I'm hoping your videos will answer:
3. The LCD port will display information from the last run on the dyno? I'm guessing this is for using the dyno without a computer? Maybe shows some averages of the numbers that were captured?

Attached Thumbnails minipro 540 motor dyno-old-sample.jpg  
Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
And to add a Question or 2.
Will it come equipped with a esc or do we interface are own? I could see a nitch for either one ...
Mod guys would like to check boost and timing effects
Spec guys would like to use a std no boost esc with steady voltage power supply to keep consistancy.
What motor range has been tested ?
Will pc show a graph showing the acceleration (tq)curve , power, efficiency, amp draw ?
And last but not least ,
On a given motor ,let's say a 17.5 , how long does it take to spool up with this wheel ?
Answers

Unfortunately, you wont be able to monitor the motor timing thru the sensor

Its not equipped with the ESC. you need to use your own. The way you do it is: You connect the esc in the current sensor, and the battery at the end of the current sensor.

Yes that is our plan to offer two type of throttle sensors :1 that is manual, you control it and an auto that can run different maps via the pc.

At this moment, it plots Power, Torque, and Current draw. But, an acceleration , and efficiency curve can be added in future updates. So eventually, yes, you will have more graphs.

I will get back with you to check. But usually a few seconds because i want as much points as possible

Hope I answer your questions.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 AM
Tech Rookie

tbrymer, I answered all your questions but for some reason was sent to the moderator for review, it should get approved soon (I Hope) - if not I will re-answer it later today.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by daleburr
The load comes from accelerating the flywheel from a standstill until the motor hits its max rpm and can no longer accelerate. Initially it'll pull over 100A, and drop to a few amps by the time it's at max rpm. There's no need to vary anything else.

Not sure about the belt drive, that'll need to be very tight to prevent slip and adds an extra unknown variable.

And they'll need way more than a 45A current sensor.

Good to see an off the shelf tool available though, should provide people with hours of fun.
At the beginning of the design, we considered a direct connect motor to the flywheel, but we felt that will limit other users that want to use different size of motors (ex. if the shaft is different, you cant use the flywheel) That is why we used the belt & pulley system (which can be updated to allow more torque).
Old 09-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by old_dude
This works like the Fantom Dyno which can be modified for brushless motors. Data is the same. Big advantage to the Fantom is no belt. The flywheel mounts directly to the motor. I have two of them but I find that a Turbo Dyno is more informative.
You can do a direct connect if you want too, but we do not offer the motor holder at this moment.
Attached Thumbnails minipro 540 motor dyno-5.jpg  
Old 09-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Since it was not approved, I'm answering it again.

Yes, the board connects to a PC via a usb cable. The cable is not provided, that cable is the "micro usb" cable used in many android phone charges. I will sell that cable , but you can find it in any retail store as well.

That future of RPM vs. Time will be added in the next major software upgrade, in addition to other graphic features.

That is correct - You can use one temp sensor for the battery and the second for the motor.

One of the features the LCD will have is Actual Run Values and Max Run Values of the last run. And you wont need to use the computer if you have the LCD

That is correct

Which extra cables or modules you refer?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.