R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #46
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I got one for Christmas. Haven't got it together yet... Stay tuned for updates. Hope to get it going in the next couple weeks.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Anybody have theirs up and running? I have ordered one and hope to have to this week. I did get the speed controller board add on. Hoping it will make runs more consistent with the computer controlling things.
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_2 View Post
Anybody have theirs up and running? I have ordered one and hope to have to this week. I did get the speed controller board add on. Hoping it will make runs more consistent with the computer controlling things.
I will likely buy tonight with the ESC controller too. What sensor board and flywheels you are getting?
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice

I bought the 180 amp board, a 13.5 motor in spec mode can easily draw 35 - 40 amps. Will give me plenty of overhead. I bought the larger 124 aluminum flywheel for my purposes, I'll explain why below.

I race dirt oval, I have a Tekin gen 2 speed controller which can record voltage and rpm among other things during a race, my motor gets to about 18,000 rpm during normal use. A lap is about 4.5 seconds cutting that in half you have about 2.25 seconds per half lap which includes going into and coming out of a corner. I'm letting off for a fraction of a second in the corner and accelerating again, I figure 2.0 seconds of acceleration. The 124 aluminum flywheel in the comparison graph on the website with a 13.5 motor looked to have the closest intersection of 18,000 RPM and 2.0 second point. Won't really be able to tell until I get it and try one of my motors. The 90 aluminum flywheel looks like it spun up to fast. The steel looked to slow. Really won't know until I get my motor with a torque rotor installed and see how it does. With all the above in mind seems like I really want to see how a motor accelerates in the first 2.0 seconds. Not sure how much data beyond that I will need or use.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_2 View Post
I bought the 180 amp board, a 13.5 motor in spec mode can easily draw 35 - 40 amps. Will give me plenty of overhead. I bought the larger 124 aluminum flywheel for my purposes, I'll explain why below.

I race dirt oval, I have a Tekin gen 2 speed controller which can record voltage and rpm among other things during a race, my motor gets to about 18,000 rpm during normal use. A lap is about 4.5 seconds cutting that in half you have about 2.25 seconds per half lap which includes going into and coming out of a corner. I'm letting off for a fraction of a second in the corner and accelerating again, I figure 2.0 seconds of acceleration. The 124 aluminum flywheel in the comparison graph on the website with a 13.5 motor looked to have the closest intersection of 18,000 RPM and 2.0 second point. Won't really be able to tell until I get it and try one of my motors. The 90 aluminum flywheel looks like it spun up to fast. The steel looked to slow. Really won't know until I get my motor with a torque rotor installed and see how it does. With all the above in mind seems like I really want to see how a motor accelerates in the first 2.0 seconds. Not sure how much data beyond that I will need or use.
I understand your reasoning, but a flywheel dyno doesn't work like that. As long as you have sufficient data points, and those points are accurate enough, the spool-up time is immaterial (until it gets so long that the motor overheats, or gets so short that there are too few data points). The power curve will still look the same regardless of the flywheel inertia, if the data is good.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic

I plan to get both Aluminum and Steel 124mm size flywheels.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #52
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 299 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.joyner View Post
Anybody tried one of these yet?
For the comparative price the Eagle Racing MD2 dyno is a much better option at least until they can price this one more competitively.
nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

I tried getting an MD2 could not find one in stock anywhere. Even tried the manufacturers website no lock says out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
For the comparative price the Eagle Racing MD2 dyno is a much better option at least until they can price this one more competitively.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #54
Tech Fanatic

Pulled the trigger on this but the 180 Amp boards are out of stock so I settled on a 90 Amp for now. You get better resolution if you are not pulling the amps anyways. Got the 124mm Aluminum flywheel and the ESC controller card and will entertain a steel flywheel later.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Mine came in today:

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice

I received mine also, took a few minutes and put it together. Now I have to figure out what I am going to mount it on. Will probably start with a pieces of plywood. Need to figure out how I want to arrange and mount the pieces. Might have to track down a pieces of laminated counter top to mount it on.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #57
Tech Initiate

I've finally got mine up and running... Tinkered around and did about 20 runs just playing around.

Now to learn how to interpret the data to benefit you on the track.

I'm still waiting for my aluminum plate to get finished. Right now I'm mounded on some MDF just to get it going.

Looking forward to playing with this more!

First runs....
https://youtu.be/1consAmx-3o

Last edited by Unspoiled; 02-10-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Unspoiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #58
Tech Initiate

Has anyone else pulled any runs on their dyno yet?

I'd like to start an open discussion on motor tuning. I'm curious on how people are going about tuning the motors... Keep in mind I'm tuning for touring car on asphalt.

In trying to interpret the datat... I'm personally starting to think that setting it to "X" amps during free rev may not be the best way to go!

I have been looking at finding an all around balance between torque, power, and RPM. My priority is power, torque, and then RPM. Then gear for a motor temp around 160 deg on the track.

Any other opinions?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspoiled View Post
I have been looking at finding an all around balance between torque, power, and RPM. My priority is power, torque, and then RPM. Then gear for a motor temp around 160 deg on the track.

Any other opinions?

Thanks!
Maximum power is the whole point of the dyno. Power is the product of torque and RPM, so the only thing they will tell you is whether the gear ratio needs to be changed from motor to motor.

If the dyno also calculates efficiency, use that as a second selection criterion.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Maximum power is the whole point of the dyno. Power is the product of torque and RPM, so the only thing they will tell you is whether the gear ratio needs to be changed from motor to motor.

If the dyno also calculates efficiency, use that as a second selection criterion.
And it's also possible that you might need that peak power at a slower part of the track, more than you need top speed on the straight, so that gearing solely on the temperature might not be the best way?