R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #46
Tech Initiate
 
Unspoiled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 35
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I got one for Christmas. Haven't got it together yet... Stay tuned for updates. Hope to get it going in the next couple weeks.
__________________
AJ Lorello - Gilbert, AZ
Associated, Hobbywing, Trinity, Airtronics, MKS, Losi, Orion
Unspoiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 AM   #47
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 62
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Anybody have theirs up and running? I have ordered one and hope to have to this week. I did get the speed controller board add on. Hoping it will make runs more consistent with the computer controlling things.
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_2 View Post
Anybody have theirs up and running? I have ordered one and hope to have to this week. I did get the speed controller board add on. Hoping it will make runs more consistent with the computer controlling things.
I will likely buy tonight with the ESC controller too. What sensor board and flywheels you are getting?
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #49
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 62
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I bought the 180 amp board, a 13.5 motor in spec mode can easily draw 35 - 40 amps. Will give me plenty of overhead. I bought the larger 124 aluminum flywheel for my purposes, I'll explain why below.

I race dirt oval, I have a Tekin gen 2 speed controller which can record voltage and rpm among other things during a race, my motor gets to about 18,000 rpm during normal use. A lap is about 4.5 seconds cutting that in half you have about 2.25 seconds per half lap which includes going into and coming out of a corner. I'm letting off for a fraction of a second in the corner and accelerating again, I figure 2.0 seconds of acceleration. The 124 aluminum flywheel in the comparison graph on the website with a 13.5 motor looked to have the closest intersection of 18,000 RPM and 2.0 second point. Won't really be able to tell until I get it and try one of my motors. The 90 aluminum flywheel looks like it spun up to fast. The steel looked to slow. Really won't know until I get my motor with a torque rotor installed and see how it does. With all the above in mind seems like I really want to see how a motor accelerates in the first 2.0 seconds. Not sure how much data beyond that I will need or use.
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #50
Tech Elite
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,498
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_2 View Post
I bought the 180 amp board, a 13.5 motor in spec mode can easily draw 35 - 40 amps. Will give me plenty of overhead. I bought the larger 124 aluminum flywheel for my purposes, I'll explain why below.

I race dirt oval, I have a Tekin gen 2 speed controller which can record voltage and rpm among other things during a race, my motor gets to about 18,000 rpm during normal use. A lap is about 4.5 seconds cutting that in half you have about 2.25 seconds per half lap which includes going into and coming out of a corner. I'm letting off for a fraction of a second in the corner and accelerating again, I figure 2.0 seconds of acceleration. The 124 aluminum flywheel in the comparison graph on the website with a 13.5 motor looked to have the closest intersection of 18,000 RPM and 2.0 second point. Won't really be able to tell until I get it and try one of my motors. The 90 aluminum flywheel looks like it spun up to fast. The steel looked to slow. Really won't know until I get my motor with a torque rotor installed and see how it does. With all the above in mind seems like I really want to see how a motor accelerates in the first 2.0 seconds. Not sure how much data beyond that I will need or use.
I understand your reasoning, but a flywheel dyno doesn't work like that. As long as you have sufficient data points, and those points are accurate enough, the spool-up time is immaterial (until it gets so long that the motor overheats, or gets so short that there are too few data points). The power curve will still look the same regardless of the flywheel inertia, if the data is good.
__________________
Howard Cano
When race results are re-calculated using the IOF (Index Of Fun), I always win.
1993 ROAR 1/8 Pan National Champion
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #51
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I plan to get both Aluminum and Steel 124mm size flywheels.
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #52
Tech Champion
 
nexxus's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 7,980
Trader Rating: 299 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.joyner View Post
Anybody tried one of these yet?
For the comparative price the Eagle Racing MD2 dyno is a much better option at least until they can price this one more competitively.
nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 62
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I tried getting an MD2 could not find one in stock anywhere. Even tried the manufacturers website no lock says out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
For the comparative price the Eagle Racing MD2 dyno is a much better option at least until they can price this one more competitively.
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #54
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Pulled the trigger on this but the 180 Amp boards are out of stock so I settled on a 90 Amp for now. You get better resolution if you are not pulling the amps anyways. Got the 124mm Aluminum flywheel and the ESC controller card and will entertain a steel flywheel later.
__________________
Yokomo BD8 x 2 , BD7 2016, YRX-12, Tamiya TRF419, Associated B6, B6D, B5M Factory Lite, B64D, B44.3, RC8B3, RC8B3e

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Mine came in today:




__________________
Yokomo BD8 x 2 , BD7 2016, YRX-12, Tamiya TRF419, Associated B6, B6D, B5M Factory Lite, B64D, B44.3, RC8B3, RC8B3e

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 62
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I received mine also, took a few minutes and put it together. Now I have to figure out what I am going to mount it on. Will probably start with a pieces of plywood. Need to figure out how I want to arrange and mount the pieces. Might have to track down a pieces of laminated counter top to mount it on.
christopher_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #57
Tech Initiate
 
Unspoiled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 35
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've finally got mine up and running... Tinkered around and did about 20 runs just playing around.

Now to learn how to interpret the data to benefit you on the track.

I'm still waiting for my aluminum plate to get finished. Right now I'm mounded on some MDF just to get it going.

Looking forward to playing with this more!

First runs....
https://youtu.be/1consAmx-3o
__________________
AJ Lorello - Gilbert, AZ
Associated, Hobbywing, Trinity, Airtronics, MKS, Losi, Orion

Last edited by Unspoiled; 02-10-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Unspoiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #58
Tech Initiate
 
Unspoiled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 35
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone else pulled any runs on their dyno yet?

I'd like to start an open discussion on motor tuning. I'm curious on how people are going about tuning the motors... Keep in mind I'm tuning for touring car on asphalt.

In trying to interpret the datat... I'm personally starting to think that setting it to "X" amps during free rev may not be the best way to go!

I have been looking at finding an all around balance between torque, power, and RPM. My priority is power, torque, and then RPM. Then gear for a motor temp around 160 deg on the track.

Any other opinions?

Thanks!
__________________
AJ Lorello - Gilbert, AZ
Associated, Hobbywing, Trinity, Airtronics, MKS, Losi, Orion
Unspoiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:48 AM   #59
Tech Elite
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,498
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspoiled View Post
I have been looking at finding an all around balance between torque, power, and RPM. My priority is power, torque, and then RPM. Then gear for a motor temp around 160 deg on the track.

Any other opinions?

Thanks!
Maximum power is the whole point of the dyno. Power is the product of torque and RPM, so the only thing they will tell you is whether the gear ratio needs to be changed from motor to motor.

If the dyno also calculates efficiency, use that as a second selection criterion.
__________________
Howard Cano
When race results are re-calculated using the IOF (Index Of Fun), I always win.
1993 ROAR 1/8 Pan National Champion
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #60
Tech Regular
 
pphaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Maximum power is the whole point of the dyno. Power is the product of torque and RPM, so the only thing they will tell you is whether the gear ratio needs to be changed from motor to motor.

If the dyno also calculates efficiency, use that as a second selection criterion.
And it's also possible that you might need that peak power at a slower part of the track, more than you need top speed on the straight, so that gearing solely on the temperature might not be the best way?
__________________
XRay X10'16, Roche Rapide P12-2017, Roche Rapide P10W, Carisma GT24R
pphaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:16 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net