R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-03-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch
Default Broke my foams, question...

Well my Jaco 2 layer foams broke this past practice. I seen a little crack starting, then I was racing with them and they just broke...why exactly did that happen and is there anyway to prevent that from happening agian?

Today Im going to hit up the track for some practice, I was wondering if it's fine to use my rubber tires (carpet track). Should I put the tire tri action stuff on them and whipe it off, just so they have stuff on them and don't fall apart fast?

Thanks, Mike.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

A few things:
Out of the box foam tires are always too tall, causing poor handling and they're extra vulnerable to chunking (losing foam). Next set of foams you get have them trued down to a more usable size like 2.3-2.4 inches tall.

Glue the outer edges of the tire with a bead of super glue to hold it together better and prevent traction rolling.

Also checking your body's wheel wells make sure there is plenty of clearance between the tire and body when turning or rubbing a board or getting t-boned by a friend.

Those three things should help protect your foams, as well as staying off the boards.

If what you're describing is the plastic wheel cracking and breaking the solution is to not hit stuff and other cars and not get hit by them.

Rubber tires on carpet is fine, goop on the tires is fine, make sure the tire is glued down really well, when the rubber pulls away from the rim the handling gets really bad.
-Dangerous with power tools-
gacjr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
Tech Adept

i think super glue will be to brittle i find shoe glue on the outer edges the best its got a little flex and wont chunk as easy [ just my 2 cents worth]
serpentrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Tech Master
Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

The only thing that will stop your rims from cracking os to not hit stuff. Unfortunately it will happen. Nice thing is that Jaco rims are pretty tough. As soon as you saw the crack you should have supper glued it stop it from getting any worse.

The other stuff said before me will help your tires from chunking and will not stop the rim from cracking. Only use super glue on the outside edge of the foams if you are getting too much side bite or are traction rolling. Otherwise adding super glue to the outside bead to hold the foam to the rim better is not needed on Jaco's and will cause you traction for no reason.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to Michael Barch

I did true them down before using them, thanks for the tips guys.
Michael Barch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I am not 100% sure these new JACO is still waranteed by the same old JACO....my experience was (nitro) using nitro shoes (jaco brand too)...the foam is start splitting in the middle and eventually the foam will came loose or something (not sure that is the same case as you)...

That happened to more then 5 set of foams........send the JACO back and they refund me back with 5 new set of foams, never happened again.

Jaco explained there were a batch of bad foam at that period of time.....not sure your case is same as mine, contact JACO and I am sure they will send you a set after received yours, if that is not a race mistake, it is a good trouble shooting infomraiton for JACO.

P.S....had cracked rims on Nitro shoes as well, again, send those back, and got all new set from Jaco, they claimed there were a bad batch of plastic rim at that period of time as well....GQ does exactly the same thing, talk about good customer support.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mark G

well you could try ca glueing the out side rim just help alittle from chunkin them up ive some ppl do that at the track
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote