R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #61
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Vacation and expense. You're not going to get around the expense of going but I know that if I had the opportunity to go that I would have worried about using so much of my limited vacation time to go. Several of the people I know who do race outside have the same issue with large events.
I hear you, same for us and the fact that we can take Elias only one time out of school every year. This is an even bigger problem and therefore we decided to attend the IIC this year.
Ulti Tires
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man777 View Post
Hey all: Why so few north American mainly USA/Canada drivers at this event? Was it the travel or this race no longer as high a priority to some drivers as the iic snowbirds or Cleveland indoor? P.S. congrats to Volker on a long overdue world title. Thanks
I think in the late 90's / early 00's a lot of the top American guys would compete in on road. Mark Pavidis, Brian Kinwald etc were all regulars around the paved stuff. That seems to have buttoned off now.

No doubt there are guys there more than fast enough to compete, but they seem more interested in the dirty stuff. Just look at the 1/8 dirt worlds it's a sea of American flags in the Amain
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #63
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post
I think in the late 90's / early 00's a lot of the top American guys would compete in on road. Mark Pavidis, Brian Kinwald etc were all regulars around the paved stuff. That seems to have buttoned off now.

No doubt there are guys there more than fast enough to compete, but they seem more interested in the dirty stuff. Just look at the 1/8 dirt worlds it's a sea of American flags in the Amain
Sadly, I think overall sales # and budgets drive some of those decisions
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Sadly, I think overall sales # and budgets drive some of those decisions
Agree completely, not a cheap hobby all things considered
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

6 drivers from the ROAR bloc of IFMAR went for Touring Car. Out of the 150 on the final standing list that is extremely low.

Team Associated sent their best from North America, but the others did not, notably XRAY and Yokomo from North America.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190mph View Post
6 drivers from the ROAR bloc of IFMAR went for Touring Car. Out of the 150 on the final standing list that is extremely low.

Team Associated sent their best from North America, but the others did not, notably XRAY and Yokomo from North America.
Xray and Yokomo may not care if there is an American there when they have some of the top drivers wheeling their cars already. Paying to have an American come there who may not be an A finalist probably isn't something they feel is important.

I think what we need in the states are a couple more "big" asphalt races that can compete with the big carpet races we have here. Right now the only two well known asphalt races are the Reedy Race and the ROAR Nats so there isn't much attention paid to racing outside compared to the indoor races we see. That may get more people interested in running modified TC outside, and interested in the possibility of running at the Worlds.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:55 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

Xray and yokomos top drivers from north America (Paul and Andrew) had family and school occupying there time right now.
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #68
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=hanulec;14651437]Yes

Will be good to see you again
thisguy2849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #69
Tech Fanatic

School in August?

Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
School in August?
Andrew's first year of university is about to begin, and he has pretty clearly stated for the past year or so that his plan has been to ramp down racing to prioritize his education. Hopefully that's ok with you.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Sure it is okay. Important thing to do.

He races with us in St. Catharines, Ontario Canada from time to time at our temp track we setup in a community hall by the way.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
School in August?
Yep, I spoke with his dad a couple weeks ago and it's time for Andrew to go to University. Toy cars are great but he needs to focus on the big picture for a few years.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #73
Tech Fanatic

Its all about being able to get off work for enough time to go to a race like this. I would of loved to go and improve on my D-main finish from 2014 but its too much time from work. I dont get paid to race, so work takes priority. Next worlds I go to will probably be the next one in the US unfortunately. I think most Americans are in that same boat.

Texas EOS 2017!
Chris Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #74
Tech Master

I was surprised that the Aussie team outnumbered the US team, never thought I would see the day... I would have expected it would have been fairly easy travel wise to China but lot's of goods points as to the reasons why - fairly consistent across the world I think.

Unfortunately don't see a big turnout for the next world's with it being in South Africa. Nothing against them, it is just so far away.

For those complaining about the LiveRC coverage, just remember they were streaming from China... and had to get that stream through the Great Firewall of China...

From talking to the boys over there, internet was patchy to say the least. Even though they set up VPN's before getting there, they still had trouble accessing FB, etc... (FB blocked in China).
TQ Wire, RW Racing - Pinions & Spurs
vr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Even with a VPN, you're then at the mercy of the speed of the VPN's servers, as well as the reception and speed of the local infrastructure.
Did seem starnge getting 4G on the Great Wall, when parts of the journey to the track in Beijing I couldn't get a signal at all lol
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote