tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #17
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpczx6 View Post
anyone have the link for Scotty broadcast
I honestly wish LiveRC would just broadcast Scotty...he's the best in the biz!
fenton06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Team Bomber Gold Compound foam tires are 2016 IFMAR 1/12th World Champions!
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Lol
Well put. Tires helped the driver make the difference!

Congrats to Naoto!
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
But is there anything special / are these tyres difficult to source?? You see a lot of people moaning about tyres, but if it's something that's readily available, then i'm not sure how much argument they have.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Roche RC must be excited. Is that their first World Championship?\

I do like that car also.

My Outdated R/C Car collection:
Associated B44, Associated NTC3, Tamiya TRF415, TRF415 MSX MRE, TRF416X
190mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
But is there anything special / are these tyres difficult to source?? You see a lot of people moaning about tyres, but if it's something that's readily available, then i'm not sure how much argument they have.
Certainly not that easy to source in the pits at the event... when they are basically the same rubber as a well known and popular racing brand also attending with a big team... 😉
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:19 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

I was just i a middle of writing my post about few things that made my wonder how far average racer is from top drivers ( especially considering their equipment), when i opend REDRC page to look for a quotatation about one thing ( but that i would coment later on)

It was just posted on redrc:

http://www.redrc.net/2016/08/trinity...r/#more-118016

I was wondering what are top drivers using in their cars. I knew it was a sort of voltage booster but i couldnt find a manufacturer of their boosters. Its funny how grate resources top drivers have that are still far from reach of a average driver. That leads to my main though about what is happening in 12 scale around around the World, especialy at big races.

Following the broadcast from WC in Bejgin i found quite many parts that suggested that drivers are struggling with tire selection, even in top 10 differences in results as high as 2-3 laps ( from 39) looked quite strange. And many drivers comments about loosing grip at the end of runtime, which is considered rather elementary problem in 12scale.

I also would like to make a coment on a quite provocative sentence ( in my opinion sentence that is doing a "bad job" for 12scale):
also found on REDRC: while the 50 entry count was up slightly on the 2014 numbers, with all A-finalists clearly the best in the world, it is clear that in the best interest of keeping 1:12 alive, IFMAR, the drivers and all involved manufacturers need to collectively work together in finding solutions that make the class more appealing and try and return it to it hayday when far more World Championship touring competitors took part.

In my opinion main problem in 12 scale is that there are free tires.
Most drivers coming to WC are privateers, thaey make the real count of competitors. Knowing that they would come to a race where there would be a group of drivers using some magical tires that would give them a huge advantage couse that many good , fast racers decide not to come.
If there was similar problem with tire selection in Touring classes , also entry for those classes would be small.
Other problem is that at most big races in europe 12 scale is not invited. ( LRP masters, ETS - formula 1 cars are not Touring cars ,yet they have been added to Touring, DHI cup). Some may say that 12 scale is not profitable for organizers- i cant agree with that. With controlled tires , and trends to cut tires so low that you can use them at most two times , in my opinion with 20 drivers just tires sold by organizers would cover quite a bit of race expences.

So in my opinion if there is going to be any future for 12 scale racing , that would include also privateers , controlled tires must be used.

In all other on road classes it works just fine, why should not in 12 scale.
blazeblazucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #24
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

I do agree with the control tire recommendation. I really like this clas but going to a big event can cost a lot in comparison to my TC and even my off road at sometimes. I think that's why I liked World GT so much. You only have one tire choice. Rubber 1/12 tires don't seem so bad to me anymore I guess but time will tell.

I am confused about your voltage booster inquiring. Even for pros a voltage booster isn't a advantage or a edge giver over regular Joe's. A voltage booster is used so you don't need a receiver pack when using a 2s only electronic speed control. It just maintains steady power for the servo because 2s ESC are made to run on 7.4 volts not the 3.7 volts used in 1/12.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

PRO VS JOES (Privateers)

The Worlds is about the BEST irrespective of a professional or privateer designation. At that level - these drivers are well accomplished, have advanced knowledge and can most importantly can 'wheel' a car.

There is absolute truth that having an affiliation for chassis, motor/battery, electronics and tires/foam can help gain a competitive advantage. The majority of racers that can qualify for a Worlds level event have degree of skill, practice and commitment that is a level higher than most want to invest. Whether that investment comes from their own or through a network of supporting companies - the folks that make this event plan, practice and attend with a no-fail approach.

Sure there are folks that are truly employed to develop/race/represent these companies. Those are a few in the big world of R/C. But at the Worlds - these are the guys that are showing up for work - this is their office.

SPEC TIRE (FOAM)

The 12th scale cars story has always been about foam. The magical foam that either we as racers make more 'mystical' because we want to believe that if we had those 'mystical' tires - we would go as fast as these guys. Racers chased Masami for years and the illusive Yokomo foam, that could have been as simple as kit foam, and few ever found that magical combination he had. Naoto has said to be a student of Masami - makes sense that he knows what it takes to go fast.

Teams (and Privateers) might welcome a spec tire. At least the folks that don't know/have access to what is ideal would surely like one less thing to separate them from the fast guys. My guess the fast guys will always be faster.

Although a spec tire might reduce the complexity of choice - consider that although the racing form different at races like TITC for rubber TC - racers went through hundreds of sets to find a couple of choice sets. Did having a spec tire really reduce expense and selection?

. . . .

Big time racing costs time and/or money. Surely racing can be simplified by providing an ala cart list of what is approved for motors, batteries, tires and bodies but we have to remember that these worlds-level drivers are have spent the last few years planning for this week of racing. This is their Super Bowl and have trained to perform. For most of us, the best thing we can do is get out of their way, sit back and watch an amazing show.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeblazucki View Post
I was just i a middle of writing my post about few things that made my wonder how far average racer is from top drivers ( especially considering their equipment), when i opend REDRC page to look for a quotatation about one thing ( but that i would coment later on)

It was just posted on redrc:

http://www.redrc.net/2016/08/trinity...r/#more-118016

I was wondering what are top drivers using in their cars. I knew it was a sort of voltage booster but i couldnt find a manufacturer of their boosters. Its funny how grate resources top drivers have that are still far from reach of a average driver. That leads to my main though about what is happening in 12 scale around around the World, especialy at big races.
The booster is Laje. I used one at worlds in 2014 - they are very good. Laje is the same company that makes the Motolyser that Trinity now sells - they are Swedish and (historically) haven't really been distributing product in the US.

There are plenty of things you can focus on for 'resources top drivers have that are still far from the reach of the average driver', but I would recommend not using Laje products as your example - they are/were relatively easy to obtain with essentially no language barrier - I think I had mine in less than a week after paying via PayPal.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
The booster is Laje. I used one at worlds in 2014 - they are very good. Laje is the same company that makes the Motolyser that Trinity now sells - they are Swedish and (historically) haven't really been distributing product in the US.

There are plenty of things you can focus on for 'resources top drivers have that are still far from the reach of the average driver', but I would recommend not using Laje products as your example - they are/were relatively easy to obtain with essentially no language barrier - I think I had mine in less than a week after paying via PayPal.
I almost agree. Almost ,because i have never came across with those boosters, even having been racing 12 scale for 18years. I can imagine that this because of some sort of ignorance , as i dont search so intensively internet from a to z. Among pro racers ( and lets say semi pro) that i have talked with they in most cases used 1s esc that had boosters inside.
For those who write things like "additional booster dont give advantage ..."- i put to them that in my opinion they must have little or almost no experience in Modified 12 scale ( lets say since lipos exceeded 6500mAh).)
Additional booster allows you tu use a esc that is able to carry higher current than 1s dedicated ESC. thath why Naoto and Marc decided to use Fleta pro not 1s. It just dont shut down doe to overheating as it has better casing.

Talking about handout tires for 12 scale- some say that it would not lower costs of racing. It would - just as it helped WGT class grow, just as it helped IC8 and IC10 classes settle down all problems with tire wars at WC and EC.
It also reduces costs of travel - you just have more than 10kilos less of your lugggage.

In my opinion handout foams and handout tire additive is a must have for WC and EC in 12 scale.

For those that think different , please take in consideration historical facts like homologation of batteries, motors,bodies - general body guidelines etc.
It all hapened for a reason. If rules would keep tires and additives open number of racers would never increase.
blazeblazucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

The Laje booster is pretty funny, look on their web site and it was 'added' to their web shop sometime in 2011!! I didn't know about that one specifically, but one of the racers in the uk made and marketed one under the 'rc dynamics' brand. I think I had one of the prototype ones at the 2010 worlds.

I agree on spec tyres, I don't know why 12th doesn't go that way. I think it should. At least it would remove the myth on tyres. Sure, sometimes many years ago there might have been some funky stuff around, especially at some of the tarmac worlds races. I don't believe that it goes on so much now. I think some might like to believe that is the reason, and of course some brands are better than others in certain conditions.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so what was the reason for the boosters to start with as I thought most were using life or lipo batteries in mod for the receivers.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer View Post
so what was the reason for the boosters to start with as I thought most were using life or lipo batteries in mod for the receivers.
From what I have read some of the speedos they were using (prototypes) were not setup for 3.7v 1 cell use. Using the booster was lighter than a small 7.2v battery pack to power the servo and receiver. Boosters have been around forever since they changed the rule in 12th scale to only use 1 cell 3.7v batteries. They do not put anyone at a disadvantage when used. They are used to boost the voltage from the racing battery from 3.7v to 7.2v which is what a servo and receiver are designed to use.
Bubonic-X is offline   Reply With Quote