R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes

Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 AM   #106
Tech Rookie

I'm seriously considering getting one of these kits.

Can anyone tell me if the body post mounts are in the same position as the Ultimate?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #107
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes. Yes they are.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #108
Tech Rookie

I just ordered this kit and a bunch of parts after running across this forum/thread. Trying to start from scratch, because the stuff I had 15 years ago is gone and was mostly nitro anyways.

My main questions are these:
1) What fan are you using for the motor? I think it requires 40mm, but not positive.

2) What Lipo battery do you suggest for this setup? Reedy Sonic 540-M3 Motor 13.5 Spec + XR10 Pro ESC

3) What should I be looking for in a servo? They seem to be different sizes, but many work?

4) Trying to get a budget transmitter/receiver for now I think. FrSky seems to have a cheap variety. Have any of you used one or do you recommend something else? Already having spent so much, I am trying to upgrade this later. Maybe there's an aftermarket for transmitters?

Cant flippin wait to get this kit in and start building it. Looks like a challenge.
crbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #109
Tech Master

I have plenty of 30mm tornado fans, which is what I mounted. There is a bolt on mount for a 40mm fan, but I just sticky tape mine

I am using reedy 5000 packs, but just about any full size 2S hardcase will work.

Can't go wrong with a futaba 9551 servo. But if you are on a budget, check out the powerhd Titanium low profile servos. The flysky controller is.....You'll get what you pay for. The futaba 3pv is nice. The futaba 4pv is even better. Controller is typically a 1 time purchase. Recommended you do it right the first time.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 PM   #110
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
I have plenty of 30mm tornado fans, which is what I mounted. There is a bolt on mount for a 40mm fan, but I just sticky tape mine

I am using reedy 5000 packs, but just about any full size 2S hardcase will work.

Can't go wrong with a futaba 9551 servo. But if you are on a budget, check out the powerhd Titanium low profile servos. The flysky controller is.....You'll get what you pay for. The futaba 3pv is nice. The futaba 4pv is even better. Controller is typically a 1 time purchase. Recommended you do it right the first time.
Ill get the futaba 9551. Read some good reviews on it already, just needed the nudge I guess.

Yeah, just the amount of batteries is overwhelming. Prolly going to get 2x Gens Ace 2s Lipo 50C w/Deans Connector 7.4V 5000mah. Then get a 100C 6000mah+ a little later when Im not crashing into walls the whole time. Still need to read up on batteries before I start charging.

I found a 40mm fan that my local hobby shop can order in. It's like $13 and I think it should fit on the frame. Wont mind replacing it if I need to later or switch to something smaller.

I have been looking at the futaba 3PV. The 4PV has 4 channels, but what components do those channels pair with (why need the 4th)? Also, does the 4PV offer better control over the car, or does it just have more features and better interface? While we are on the subject, R203GF vs R304SB for a receiver? Having trouble finding info on the difference.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #111
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillS View Post
I have 2k AE in it right now, I like it but I can feel the diff snap a little coming out of corners under hard acceleration. Highly recommend switching out the 2 degree hubs for 0 degree hubs and adding toe at the RR block.
Do you have the part number for the 0 degree hub?

What difference does it make adding toe at the RR block instead of the hub?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #112
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbr View Post
Ill get the futaba 9551. Read some good reviews on it already, just needed the nudge I guess.

Yeah, just the amount of batteries is overwhelming. Prolly going to get 2x Gens Ace 2s Lipo 50C w/Deans Connector 7.4V 5000mah. Then get a 100C 6000mah+ a little later when Im not crashing into walls the whole time. Still need to read up on batteries before I start charging.

I found a 40mm fan that my local hobby shop can order in. It's like $13 and I think it should fit on the frame. Wont mind replacing it if I need to later or switch to something smaller.

I have been looking at the futaba 3PV. The 4PV has 4 channels, but what components do those channels pair with (why need the 4th)? Also, does the 4PV offer better control over the car, or does it just have more features and better interface? While we are on the subject, R203GF vs R304SB for a receiver? Having trouble finding info on the difference.
R304sb is a 4 channel receiver, with telemetry. For racing, either receiver will work.

In regards to the controllers, the 3pv feels good. It will be a radio that you can use for many years comfortably. The 4pv is an enhancement in that the operating system is much more streamlined and fluid, while the 3pv is mechanical and forces you to go through a rigid flowchart of steps in order to make changes. 4pv also has a nice large screen with backlight, which the 3pv does not.

Compared to a flysky, both the 3pv and 4pv will be head and shoulders above it.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:46 PM   #113
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
R304sb is a 4 channel receiver, with telemetry. For racing, either receiver will work.

In regards to the controllers, the 3pv feels good. It will be a radio that you can use for many years comfortably. The 4pv is an enhancement in that the operating system is much more streamlined and fluid, while the 3pv is mechanical and forces you to go through a rigid flowchart of steps in order to make changes. 4pv also has a nice large screen with backlight, which the 3pv does not.

Compared to a flysky, both the 3pv and 4pv will be head and shoulders above it.
That's reassuring, because I ordered the 3pv.

Hopefully I will have enough free time this weekend to complete the build.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #114
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqgti View Post
Finally received my screws, nuts, and shims. Here it is after everything was swapped out:

The screws and the shims don't quite match exactly, but at least there is no more pink
Please let me know where you got those shims.The only thing I dislike about this kit is the pink...
TXNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #115
Tech Regular

Quote:
I actually like the R204GFE receiver best. It keeps the wiring neat and the range is still good.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #116
Tech Rookie

Default Optional BLACK spacers just arrived

http://os.3racing.hk/products_list.php
Yes!! 3Racing just released black aluminum spacers to replace the pink ones on the Advance. Smart move...
TXNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #117
Tech Master

It would have been better had they included black ones in the kit.

I bought the black yeah racing ones and a box of stainless screws from rcmart when I first ordered my Advance.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #118
Tech Rookie

Finally got around to building the car this weekend. All I have left to do is mount the electronics. My only concerns are these:

1) What is keeping the back end of the battery from sliding inward and rubbing against the belt?On page 21 of the manual you can kind of see a little nub connected to the motor mount that might act as a buffer (similar to the one on the servo) but I see nothing in the kit or instructions for this. And if I pull on the back end of the battery it will rub against the long belt.

2) The big bore shocks...not really sure what I'm doing but I got them built. Now the spring doesn't naturally rest against the top of the shock. It more so just rattles about. Not sure if I can bring that ceiling down to meet the spring? I'm a shock nub and could use some guidance.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #119
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Finally got around to building the car this weekend. All I have left to do is mount the electronics. My only concerns are these:

1) What is keeping the back end of the battery from sliding inward and rubbing against the belt?On page 21 of the manual you can kind of see a little nub connected to the motor mount that might act as a buffer (similar to the one on the servo) but I see nothing in the kit or instructions for this. And if I pull on the back end of the battery it will rub against the long belt.

2) The big bore shocks...not really sure what I'm doing but I got them built. Now the spring doesn't naturally rest against the top of the shock. It more so just rattles about. Not sure if I can bring that ceiling down to meet the spring? I'm a shock nub and could use some guidance.
I was able to get the shocks and suspension figured out, but still not sure what to do with the battery and belt issue
Old 03-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #120
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I was able to get the shocks and suspension figured out, but still not sure what to do with the battery and belt issue
Eyyy we did it fam. I took the peg off the servo and moved it to the motor mount, and it works to block the battery from connecting with the belt. I just gotta order the extra M3x10 flat screw M3 x6 x4.5 spacer and M3 countersunk washer.