R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Mod Racing Guidance

I wanted to start this thread to get to grips with all the issues and things to remember when moving from a blinky or boosted stock class to full modified racing, mostly outdoor, and ensure I'm not making any basic costly mistakes.

I've been racing 13.5 boosted for a few years but want to move to modified racing, mostly on large outdoor asphalt tracks. What are the recommendations people are living by? Affects of esc settings in terms of where to start with boost and turbo, gearing? Any standard changes I need to be thinking about?

What are peoples observations of the pitfalls of modified racing? I want to know what you did wrong at the start, and how you got around it.

I've been racing for long time, but I like to do my research before jumping into a new discipline. Thanks for any responses in advance.

www.pbmracing.co.uk - Reds Racing
Awesomatix A800X - Reds Racing TX120 - Reds Racing VX Certified 13.5 - Sanwa M12S
JimboAMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Belts tighter than Stock.
Slightly safer setup and possibly bodyshell.
Turn everything down on the ESC, or even start with blinky if you're running something like a 4.5
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think opinions will vary greatly here but I really think that if you're going to run on large outdoor tracks that you should motor up and put all the boost/turbo you need to the car up front so that you get used to driving with that amount of power. If you run in blinky or motor down to get used to the power you are just creating false steps and you will constantly be getting used to the power every time you add more. Put the power where it needs to be, then learn to drive that power. Use caution on the trigger, drive smooth and safe until your confidence comes up. This will allow you to concentrate on your setup and driving without worry that the car may change when you have more power.

The ESC settings will largely depend on your motor and which ESC you have so it's pretty hard to make any setup suggestions without know those. It looks like you have Reds and they have a mod TC setup that you could start with posted.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87...NuYmZCeE0/view
Old 08-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Some interesting points brought up. Thanks guys.

In terms of lipos, I've come from boosted class where every bit of lipo power matters. Having spoken to a few of the mod racers at our national championships it seems clear that the charging of packs for mod differs from stock if I'm understanding it correctly. I'm told it's not advisable to charge fully to 8.4v. Can someone explain this, the right voltage to go to, and what people are finding works best for them?

Awesomatix A800X - Reds Racing TX120 - Reds Racing VX Certified 13.5 - Sanwa M12S
Old 08-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
Tech Master

Not charging the lipo all the way takes a bit of the initial hit out of the car and makes it easier to drive. This a great for indoor racing but I've found that on larger outdoor tracks I can use all the power the car has and I sometimes need the MAH you get from fully charging the packs. Mod TC can use much more power than even 13.5 boosted.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #6
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

What ESC settings. Avoid massive WOT wheel spin thru ESC settings and motor gearing (run a bigger pinion).

Run batteries at 8.2v or lower.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:50 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

A good starting point is to run a 4.5 in blinky with 8.2 volt and setup the gearing to somthing like 7.5. start with 10 -15% drag brake and and the lowest amount (2-5%) of initial brake and adjust from there. you can start to use boost and turbo when you got used to the power.
BTW Viljamy Kutvonen runs regularly in blinky, except on huge tracks like the ETS Luxembourg. I talked to him at this years Reedyrace.
Ulti Tires
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the view points so far guys. Definitely some testing to do. Interesting how the full 8.4v isn't absolutely necessary on charging.

Onto another part of the electronics side of things. Esc settings. Coming from 13.5 boosted, I'm used to running a lot of boost and turbo and varying these from track to track depending on track size, gearing, motor etc.

Is there an unwritten rule for applying esc settings for mod? For example, lets say I'm running a 4.5 in blinky and am ready to experiment with more power on a larger outdoor track. Do you guys add things in a specific way, such as, 10 degrees of boost first, then add some turbo after? Is it usual to have more boost than turbo for mod typically?

Is temperature a major concern in mod? Do you guys find your approaches are skating a fine line with motor/esc temperatures?

I know things will vary, and advice and typical changes can be environment specific. Just looking for some thoughts, not just for me, but for anyone else looking to dip their toes into mod racing.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboAMX View Post

Is there an unwritten rule for applying esc settings for mod? For example, lets say I'm running a 4.5 in blinky and am ready to experiment with more power on a larger outdoor track. Do you guys add things in a specific way, such as, 10 degrees of boost first, then add some turbo after? Is it usual to have more boost than turbo for mod typically?

Is temperature a major concern in mod? Do you guys find your approaches are skating a fine line with motor/esc temperatures?
Too much depends on the track, motor and ESC to give any solid guidance. Start low on both, adding maybe 1-5 each then start feeding in more depending on how it feels on track. Generally if you have a big straight you will use more turbo than boost. I know that at our track the settings are so different between different cars that it's impossible to just give an answer to what you are looking for. Some guys may run very little boost/turbo while others may have what seems like a ton in their cars but on track they look similar.

Mod cars get hot for sure and if you go overboard you can melt something down but I'm not sure that most of the mod setups are really pushing the line any more than the spec/blinky classes are.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what are people options on wheel balancing? also the current trend with using cuticle tools to take manufacturing seem from tyres
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboAMX View Post
I wanted to start this thread to get to grips with all the issues and things to remember when moving from a blinky or boosted stock class to full modified racing, mostly outdoor, and ensure I'm not making any basic costly mistakes.

I've been racing 13.5 boosted for a few years but want to move to modified racing, mostly on large outdoor asphalt tracks. What are the recommendations people are living by? Affects of esc settings in terms of where to start with boost and turbo, gearing? Any standard changes I need to be thinking about?

What are peoples observations of the pitfalls of modified racing? I want to know what you did wrong at the start, and how you got around it.

I've been racing for long time, but I like to do my research before jumping into a new discipline. Thanks for any responses in advance.
Which speedo ?
Awesomatix car?
Don't try 4.5T with blinky... It will be very slow and boring in the straight...
Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoo2k4 View Post
Which speedo ?
Awesomatix car?
Don't try 4.5T with blinky... It will be very slow and boring in the straight...
You should watch one of the Viljamis runs at the Reedy-race and you'll change your opinion to a 4.5 blinky. He runs blinky on most tracks and I can't see why you sink that a blinky 4.5 on a small to medium track is slow on the straight.
When the car is to slow then check your radio endpoints.
That said Elias is running a 5.0 blinky at TQ and out doors a 4.5 with varying timing settings.
Ulti Tires
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:37 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by silden View Post
You should watch one of the Viljamis runs at the Reedy-race and you'll change your opinion to a 4.5 blinky. He runs blinky on most tracks and I can't see why you sink that a blinky 4.5 on a small to medium track is slow on the straight.
When the car is to slow then check your radio endpoints.
That said Elias is running a 5.0 blinky at TQ and out doors a 4.5 with varying timing settings.
For sure Viljamis was not runing blinky. He was running 7.8 fdr, so it's not blinky.I can ask him next time, but im 100% sure

In EU, all drivers are using turbo... You can check Jilles,Ronald ESC setup.
We only run blinky in stock and F1.

Here some ESC's setup :

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/tea...esGroskamp_TC/
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/lrp...er_Trencin_TC/
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/yok...one2016051416/
Old 08-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Also, don't feel you have to run a 4.5t.

I've done a couple of Mod days (Cotswolds + Hudy Arena). I use an 8.5t with lots of boost and turbo. It just about keeps up with the 4.5s on the straight but is much smoother on the infield. Now I'm used to it I'd probably drop to a 6.5t for the bigger tracks.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:40 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I am not saying it is the right way to go but if you look at the recently released Reedy speed controls they only have the turbo option, no boost. So maybe that is something to look at, just running turbo for those straights.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote