Search
Like Tree62Likes

Let's talk modified 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
1/12 was always a battery war.. Remember the on grid bump boxes...
I remember that. I also recall one guy's girlfriend on the grid, on her hands and knees, waiting for the last possible moment to unplug the bump box. That's dedication! He later married her.

She was also a fit and attractive lady. It was just as likely that her function was to be a distraction to the other drivers, rather than to top up the battery.

So, back to my question: Is this where the drivers want mod to go? Back to battery/motor wars? Of the two choices, I'd guess the motor restriction would be a lesser evil. Plus it's easier to do handout motors than handout batteries, if it comes to that.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If battery wars means hot, or at least RC hot, grid girls ... I know what I pick
Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
I remember that. I also recall one guy's girlfriend on the grid, on her hands and knees, waiting for the last possible moment to unplug the bump box. That's dedication! He later married her.

She was also a fit and attractive lady. It was just as likely that her function was to be a distraction to the other drivers, rather than to top up the battery.

So, back to my question: Is this where the drivers want mod to go? Back to battery/motor wars? Of the two choices, I'd guess the motor restriction would be a lesser evil. Plus it's easier to do handout motors than handout batteries, if it comes to that.

If you restrict mod either through battery or motor wind you will have motor/battery wars, real or perceived. The question is will restricting the class improve turnouts
Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How about this for the future of mod 1/12:

Open motor

Blinky ESC
Proven and widely available. Dramatically reduces the number of variables.

Spec tire
It's time.

2S LiPo
Double voltage, but half(ish) capacity. As capacity grows, consider reducing max start voltage to 8.3V or lower to keep speeds in check. The game becomes more about efficiency and making run time than who can drive balls out for 8 minutes. Something many people seem to think is an improvement. This should naturally bring with it a reduction in speed, especially without ESC timing available.

No boosters or receiver packs
If you allow them, everybody will have to run one since it will be seen as a way to keep more capacity in the main battery. Keep things simple.

2S LiFe could also be considered, but it doesn't look like capacity of the available cells is high enough. Unless of course you consider making 1/12 races shorter, but apparently that is verboten.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Then the only thing we've really changed would be the spec tires. A 2s LiPo with half the mAh rating as a 1s Lipo contains exactly the same amount of energy. Mate the 2s LiPo to a motor having twice the turn count of the one previously used for 1s LiPo, and the performance and duration will be identical.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Lord

Then the only thing we've really changed would be the spec tires. A 2s LiPo with half the mAh rating as a 1s Lipo contains exactly the same amount of energy. Mate the 2s LiPo to a motor having twice the turn count of the one previously used for 1s LiPo, and the performance and duration will be identical.
Is it that plain on the track though? Are higher wind motors less efficient, and is it enough to make a difference? Will blinky further reduce efficiency? I seem to remember taking a lot less out of my packs in the boosted days.

While I still think it's a questionable decision to encourage the dumping of LiPo, make the max voltage in tech 4.05/cell and nobody will be running a boosted 3.5 anymore.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Are higher wind motors less efficient, and is it enough to make a difference?
No. The only losses that will be different with the 2s-plus-double-turn-count combo will be from the resistance of the wires and ESC, which are already quite low. But if significant, that means the total system with the 2s-plus-double-turn-count combo will actually have a bit more power and efficiency-- which is going the wrong way for our purposes.

Will blinky further reduce efficiency? I seem to remember taking a lot less out of my packs in the boosted days.
Yes, by quite a bit.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Is it that plain on the track though? Are higher wind motors less efficient, and is it enough to make a difference? Will blinky further reduce efficiency? I seem to remember taking a lot less out of my packs in the boosted days.

While I still think it's a questionable decision to encourage the dumping of LiPo, make the max voltage in tech 4.05/cell and nobody will be running a boosted 3.5 anymore.
4.05 is pointless, I know personally a lot of the guys, myself included, already limit charge to between 4.0 and 4.1, hell we've joked among ourselves that we need a minimum voltage spec for Mod
Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Tech Lord

It's totally non-scientific, and probably not something we can rely on in the future, but...

Right now, the highest capacity 1S packs are around 8000mah. The highest capacity 2S shorty packs (which are in a much larger case) come in around 5500mah. Presumably the need to cram more physical cells into a small space reduces available capacity since each cell has its own shell, and increasing that uses more of the available room.

No doubt this will improve with time, but it seems like requiring more physical cells has a similar effect to reducing the maximum allowable size of the battery case. Does 2S do this?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

I believe most of our 1s packs are already 2 cells, but wired in parallel. I'm sure there are people reading here that can verify (or disprove) this.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Use a 2s in a 1s case like they run in Japan for stock. The size limits them to 3800mah to 4000 mah.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

I believe most of our 1s packs are already 2 cells, but wired in parallel. I'm sure there are people reading here that can verify (or disprove) this.
Yeah, I did a little research and edited, seems to be the case. Not sure it's possible to tech battery construction externally either, so probably not something you can make a rule around.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by patorz31
Use a 2s in a 1s case like they run in Japan for stock. The size limits them to 3800mah to 4000 mah.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure if it's a limitation that could be easily overcome with different construction. Not clued enough about batteries.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a random thought:

As I understand it, the modified class is supposed to reward those drivers with the best car control and (especially) throttle control skills. If a very hard spec tire having poor grip is selected, then the lap times will be slower, and there will be no question that everyone has enough horsepower. Carried to it logical conclusion, then, all races for modified class should be conducted on ice.

Reductio ad absurdum.

I'll go take my pills now.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Tech Lord

Here's a random thought:

As I understand it, the modified class is supposed to reward those drivers with the best car control and (especially) throttle control skills. If a very hard spec tire having poor grip is selected, then the lap times will be slower, and there will be no question that everyone has enough horsepower. Carried to it logical conclusion, then, all races for modified class should be conducted on ice.

Reductio ad absurdum.

I'll go take my pills now.
I think you just made the case for rubber tire 1/12.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.