Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #451
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Trotta View Post
This class was definitely the buzz a 360 Vegas warmup
thelonious and hillier were there along with Hebert ,Cyrul ,Lia and others. Two heats and I would almost guarantee there will be three possible heats of it at this track on a reg basis. It's fast in the infield. Not insane on the straight but it has everyone's wheels turning in the pits
It's been long time. ..... I'd say since brushed motors since I've seen two heats of mod anything at a local race. This class not with anything set in stone is definitely gonna bring blood to pan cars
And that is definitely positive ...

Hogans heroes was a funny show ... Another classic

British shows I'd go with faulty towers as all time great
Phil I believe you that is was a lot of fun, especially on a club race.
My only concern is that is only a buzz and it will cool off again.
The stock hotshot at our track ran last weekend mod 1/12 for the first time, I convinced him.
He and Elias ran 6.5 blinky together with 3 guys from Arizona, which ran 13.5 2S boosted. This guy is a extremely clean driver, he never blows a corner or anything else. After the race he told me that he is pumped, but has to think about to run it again. He said the tire wear is ridiculous and therefore to expensive.
Ulti Tires

Last edited by silden; 09-22-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fixed text, stupid smartphone.
silden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silden View Post
Phil I believe you that is was a lot of fun, especially on a club race.
My only concern is that is only a buzz and it will cool off again.
The stock hotshot at our track ran last weekend mod 1/12 for the first time, I convinced him.
He and Elias ran 6.5 blinky together with 3 guys from Arizona, which ran 13.5 2S boosted. This guy is a extremely clean driver, he never blows a corner or anything else. After the race he told me that he is pumped, but has to think about to run it again. He said the tire wear is ridiculous and therefore to expensive.
I ran this past Sunday bsr purple stripe spec tires on black carpet wear was not bad at all
Old 09-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #453
Tech Addict

Quote:
I ran this past Sunday bsr purple stripe spec tires on black carpet wear was not bad at all
He runs a set of Ulties for 2-3 race meetings in 17.5 and 13.5.
In mod it lasted for about 1 race day and some practice.
Elias hang with him in 6.5 and was 3 tenth a lap faster with 4.0 boosted.
Unfortunately he couldn't show it as planned in the 2nd qualifier, the car broke as a back marker plowed him of the track.
Elias ran his 6.5 in the race got the 2nd spot with just a lap down and 3rd was 3laps down. Elias ran extremely consistent, got caught up on a flapper and lost it there. The difference between Elias 4.0 and 6.5 are about 4-5 tenth with the same setup on the 2 cars and I can't believe that we already on the limit with the 6.5. The difference should be more 2-3 tenth at the most, I suppose.
TQ is only 95x45 or so.
Thats the reason why asked for advice on gearing
Ulti Tires

Last edited by silden; 09-22-2016 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 AM   #454
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

http://www.rcracing.com/Interview_with_Joel_Johnson.cfm

Interesting find...

Date of article November 4th, 1999.

RCRacing.com: There has been a lot of talk about spec tires at big races again lately. What is you opinion on the use of a spec tire and the effects on the hobby itself.

Joel: I think spec tire a large events are a necessity if we want this sport to continually grow. The "tire of the week" scenario which is playing out in both off road and on
road is not healthy for racing in the amateur classes. The development of a spec tire program should be ROAR's top priority for 2000. I'm sure that most people who buy there tires will be in full agreement.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:37 AM   #455
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
This class was definitely the buzz a 360 Vegas warmup
thelonious and hillier were there along with Hebert ,Cyrul ,Lia and others. Two heats and I would almost guarantee there will be three possible heats of it at this track on a reg basis. It's fast in the infield. Not insane on the straight but it has everyone's wheels turning in the pits
It's been long time. ..... I'd say since brushed motors since I've seen two heats of mod anything at a local race. This class not with anything set in stone is definitely gonna bring blood to pan cars
And that is definitely positive ...

Hogans heroes was a funny show ... Another classic

British shows I'd go with faulty towers as all time great
Phil I can not disagree more

While Faulty towers is good , Benny Hill was the best

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:44 AM   #456
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Umm, Top Gear UK (pre 2016), no discussion.

Long live Jeremy, James, and Richard.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:13 AM   #457
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwagner View Post
Umm, Top Gear UK (pre 2016), no discussion.

Long live Jeremy, James, and Richard.
maybe rater top gear pre 2015, the last season felt like a bad revival of the previous years.
Ulti Tires
Old 09-23-2016, 04:23 AM   #458
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
He told me that the most likely directon will be that we go to 2S in all classes. This will increase the efficiency...
... only by a negligible amount, in the ESC and wiring--- NOT in the motor or battery...

Quote:
He told me that the most likely direction will be that we go to 2S in all classes. This will... lower the stress on the electrical components.
Yes, on the ESC.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 AM   #459
Tech Elite

Quote:
He runs a set of Ulties for 2-3 race meetings in 17.5 and 13.5.
In mod it lasted for about 1 race day and some practice.
Elias hang with him in 6.5 and was 3 tenth a lap faster with 4.0 boosted.
Unfortunately he couldn't show it as planned in the 2nd qualifier, the car broke as a back marker plowed him of the track.
Elias ran his 6.5 in the race got the 2nd spot with just a lap down and 3rd was 3laps down. Elias ran extremely consistent, got caught up on a flapper and lost it there. The difference between Elias 4.0 and 6.5 are about 4-5 tenth with the same setup on the 2 cars and I can't believe that we already on the limit with the 6.5. The difference should be more 2-3 tenth at the most, I suppose.
TQ is only 95x45 or so.
Thats the reason why asked for advice on gearing
What was the wear rate like for the tyres, how much was getting taken off each run?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #460
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Oh man for a minute or two I thought I was going to have to put on my moderator hat and scold some people. But I am glad things have lightened up again, for the most part, and we are back to having a reasonable conversation about trying to fix a class that many believe is broken.

Carry on in a constructive and productive manor.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #461
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
What was the wear rate like for the tyres, how much was getting taken off each run?
He lost more than half a millimeter on the rear during each run.
For us it's reasonable, but for him not because he's retired and has to manage his funds.
He's a crazy good driver he made no mistake during all of the 10 race days in the last series. He runs usually 17.5 and 13.5 and he's faster in 17.5 then the most 13.5 drivers.
Ulti Tires
Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #462
Tech Adept

12th scale copied what 1/10 oval racers were doing here in the midwest. oval racers did testing while ROAR was sitting on its hands concerning lipos years ago deciding when and how to make them legal.

based on the 1S vs 2S of what was available at the time and they went 1S. there was no slim shorties at the time.

1/12 scale used to be a race almost like gas racing where power management, strategy was required. with the 7000+ mah 1S lipos, all that is gone, the cars are insanely faster to the point it's a drag road race but with over the top skill required.

2S slim shortys same size as 1S have 2800-3500 mah-raitings lower than 3800 NIMH batteries from 2005. going to this type low MAH 2S could very easily make 1/12 scale what it was right before the switch to lipos. removing unlimited power and bring back the dump for over gearing, too low wind choice, etc.

btw the exclusivity of 1S ESCs and 1S lipos is currently hitting 1/10 pan oval racing hard too right now, huge decline

there are many talking of going to 2S slim shorty and limiting stock to 25.5 (some places/clubs already have), possibly 2s shorty (1/10 oval only) which would allow normal ESCs to be used. makes it easier for drivers to dip into this class for the winter months and items are useable in many other cars/classes

changes in all classes of RC have occurred over the years, 1S classes may need to act like they did years ago, and save the classes for the masses...not just the few

spec tires are a panacea, it has been tried over and over...fail. spec/selected tires for huge events works, but never carries over into club/local level for long
Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #463
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
He lost more than half a millimeter on the rear during each run.
For us it's reasonable, but for him not because he's retired and has to manage his funds.
He's a crazy good driver he made no mistake during all of the 10 race days in the last series. He runs usually 17.5 and 13.5 and he's faster in 17.5 then the most 13.5 drivers.
Tq is older grey carpet correct? If so wear will be much different than the new black crc.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #464
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Carry on in a constructive and productive manor.
Kraig- we always love seeing your Avatar.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #465
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkz View Post
1/12 scale used to be a race almost like gas racing where power management, strategy was required. with the 7000+ mah 1S lipos, all that is gone, the cars are insanely faster to the point it's a drag road race but with over the top skill required.

2S slim shortys same size as 1S have 2800-3500 mah-raitings lower than 3800 NIMH batteries from 2005. going to this type low MAH 2S could very easily make 1/12 scale what it was right before the switch to lipos.
If the limited energy capacity of 2800mAh 2s is good, then why not use something with even lower energy capacity, like this 4300mAh 1s?:
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=342
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote