R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #406
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If 6.5, or whatever in the future, takes off I would kill 13.5 leaving two choices. Nobody really shed a tear for the demise of TC 13.5 @ the HC.

I believe deeper fields will lead to a more enjoyable experience from top to bottom.
nwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post
Wrong, we killed open mod. Still have 3 classes.

Also you seem to be missing the point, as so many people in this thread have pointed out open mod is not drivable by the great majority of the RC population, and lets be honest, that includes you and I both.

If the point is more participation then killing open mod makes sense, not killing 13.5 and adding ANOTHER ruleset.
If it gets more entries without effecting the other classes I am all for it. Like I said, and agree with you on, we killed open mod for another spec class. I still think we should kill 13.5 or 17.5, they are too close in speed and not any where close to a "stepping stone" as it was advertised originally.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #408
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwagner View Post
If 6.5, or whatever in the future, takes off I would kill 13.5 leaving two choices. Nobody really shed a tear for the demise of TC 13.5 @ the HC.

I believe deeper fields will lead to a more enjoyable experience from top to bottom.
My point exactly Nate.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:03 AM   #409
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyzilla View Post
6.5 is fast enough for 90% of the racers out there without worries about battery or motor war....
I saw first hand a lot of drivers including my self that wont get into full out mod but can do the 6.5
This exacty! I think 6.5 blinky is great for club level. It's more than enough power and it's realistic for someone coming from 17.5/13.5

Even myself, I had no desire to run open mod but 6.5 blinky is very appealing and there was a decent turnout for mod (1 full heat, mix of 6.5's and open mod) at our last club race.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #410
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
It worries me that IIC has changed to 6.5t blinky and we have only seen one additional entry (that I can tell, at least.) Where are the hordes who were clamoring for change?
The hope is that some of the guys who race 17.5/13.5 combo will move up to the 13.5/modified combo now that Modified is controllable for those that complained that it is too fast.

My feeling is that there are plenty of great 13.5/17.5 drivers that are able to get a a mod car around the track but choose to continue to race what they are familiar with and what they can win in.

Going to 6.5 isn't going to make them more competitive. The guys who were fast with boosted 3.5 are still going to be the guys to beat in 6.5. Will a guy who is a sure bet to podium in both 17.5/13.5 give that up a podium for a chance to possibly make the Modified main?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #411
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Mod doesn't sell cars stock does, that's why most of the sponsored guys are forced to run stock . When companies stop sponsoring everyone that runs stock that's when mod will grow. As of now there is no incentive to run mod.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #412
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
It worries me that IIC has changed to 6.5t blinky and we have only seen one additional entry (that I can tell, at least.) Where are the hordes who were clamoring for change?
Practicing in New Rochelle
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #413
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
Not saying it isn't for the better, but Ken is right. We basically killed open mod and made another spec class. So in reality we have, 17.5, 13.5, 6.5, and open mod now, if you wanted to push it. I still think if you eliminated 13.5 and made it either 10.5 or 6.5 it would be a better "stepping stone" to full open mod.
My point exactly.... I'm not against some kind of change, but this step with blinky and a 100%+ increase in allowed winds (like running 35 turn in stock) is far enough away from open/Mod that is is just another class all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave View Post
Wrong, we killed open mod. Still have 3 classes.
If the point is more participation then killing open mod makes sense, not killing 13.5 and adding ANOTHER ruleset.
I would disagree, Mod as low of a turn out as it has had has been slightly better than 13.5 in most cases. Loydloar mentioned earlier after trying 6.5 blinky that it felt more like it should be the middle stepping stone class. Perhaps the problem all along is that A)13.5 is not different enough from stock for guys to move up and B) 13.5 is way too far from mod to make it a practical mid point to learn from.

Perhaps what we need is something like
17.5 Blinky
8.5 or 6.5 blinky
4.5 or 5.0 open esc (that's 50%+ more winds than most are using now)

and all 3 classes need a capacity limit, perhaps enforced by smaller cases or maximum weight

Quote:
Wait till the novelty of a new spec class wears off it will still be everyone in stock and the rest of the classes will be slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Mod doesn't sell cars stock does, that's why most of the sponsored guys are forced to run stock . When companies stop sponsoring everyone that runs stock that's when mod will grow. As of now there is no incentive to run mod.
Long running discussion with the big sticking point being the definition of 'sponsored'. ROAR tried it in 2010 and failed miserably after putting the hobby shop discount guy in the same category as full factory support. Some common sense approach to this would help all the way around.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #414
Tech Regular

lol, just noticed Ken changed his "long live foam touring" signature.

At least Ken is willing to accept some change, even if it is 10yrs later
Old 09-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #415
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwagner View Post
lol, just noticed Ken changed his "long live foam touring" signature.

At least Ken is willing to accept some change, even if it is 10yrs later
12th is still foam ........... for now

and it's only 6 years later

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #416
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The hope is that some of the guys who race 17.5/13.5 combo will move up to the 13.5/modified combo now that Modified is controllable for those that complained that it is too fast.

My feeling is that there are plenty of great 13.5/17.5 drivers that are able to get a a mod car around the track but choose to continue to race what they are familiar with and what they can win in.

Going to 6.5 isn't going to make them more competitive. The guys who were fast with boosted 3.5 are still going to be the guys to beat in 6.5. Will a guy who is a sure bet to podium in both 17.5/13.5 give that up a podium for a chance to possibly make the Modified main?
That last paragraph Rick, nailed it. Applies to almost any class.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #417
Tech Regular

I'm curious, let's say the theory is true that racers just want to handicap the pros in mod so they have a glimmer of hope at beating them (not that the attraction of running the same class as the pro's could have anything to do with the success of offroad mod I'm sure.)

Does that mean we continue the course of this Titanic of a class until it crashes into the iceberg so a few can claim a moral victory through attrition... they were able to run the class long enough, combined with superior ability to control open mod, until all desire was lost from the average Joe to even attempt it?Haven't we achieved that already? Looking at the past few years of big-race open mod entries I think I could argue a valid "yes".

I just don't see any positives from leaving it as it is, nor have I seen anyone present a logical positive outcome with that strategy.

Last edited by nwagner; 09-21-2016 at 03:16 AM.
nwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #418
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I raced 6.5 blinky this past weekend in Victoria. It was quite sporty. I'll admit I was impressed. The only real thing missing was the mad top end. The infield felt the same as a boosted 3.5.

Now that I've spent a weekend dialing in a 6.5 car, I feel validated to speak about it. If you haven't tried it, check it out. It's still a lot of race car!

Brian
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #419
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Perhaps what we need is something like
17.5 Blinky
8.5 or 6.5 blinky
4.5 or 5.0 open esc (that's 50%+ more winds than most are using now)

and all 3 classes need a capacity limit, perhaps enforced by smaller cases or maximum weight
I think this is on the right track. Kill 13.5 and replace it with 6.5 blinky...
Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #420
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

All I know is stock motor prices are out of control, $175 for a spec motor? I've raced long enough to remember when stock racing was cheap and slower. Now mod racing is less $$. That said I'll be trying the 6.5 when I get the chance to race one.
Scirocco is offline   Reply With Quote