Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree62Likes

Let's talk modified 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hopefully not a battery limit. I don't want to turn marshal a car with lipo fire.
Every thing else can be managed in some way.
We should not change it from un-drivable fast to un-drivable slow. We should try to find the middle way.
On the end the decision should be made by the manufacturers and the drivers. The governing body's should take the outcome of this discussion and review it every other year.
This will keep the class interesting and the racers will get a feeling that there thoughts are heared.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
I ran blinky 6.5t this weekend. I know people won't consider this, but I honestly wish it was our middle class instead of 13.5. It would be a really good stepping stone to open mod.

Either way, IIC should be interesting.
We got 2 6.5's for testing next weekend.
Elias will run it that way and I hope that it will help with the entries.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:14 AM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silden
We got 2 6.5's for testing next weekend.
Elias will run it that way and I hope that it will help with the entries.
At our track 6.5 blinky was about 1.0 second faster than 17.5

17.5 = 8.6
13.5 = 8.1
6.5 = 7.6

The layout was a short straight and tight infield.
On a larger flowing layout I could see it being 1.1 to 1.2 seconds faster.
That seems to be a pretty good spread.

Maybe this week we could have a guy who's been testing 6.5 Blinky put his 3.5 back in and see the difference in lap times and driveability. I can't see it being more than .1 to .2 seconds faster.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Arrow

Something to ponder

Every season, 6.5 blinky will become faster
In 5 yrs, it may be even faster than mod is now

Such is the advance rate in tech...
Old 09-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Something to ponder

Dave you are totally right and this the reason why I see a motor war coming up.
Not right now, but in a year or two.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Correct. The current 6.5's are not short stacks, wait until Trinity shows up with one, that's when the motor war will start. Oh, by the way, there are some of us already trying to get our hands on the short stack's now, so it won't take a year or two. This is why an Open motor will probably be the best option, but we have to get there first.

Steve
Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Something to ponder

I think 6.5 blinky is more of a stop-gap, it's something that tracks could easily implement right now instead of continuing to wait for action by manufacturers and governing bodies.

I would be very surprised if it's still around next season. Of course, I'm counting (hoping) on the grass roots movement spurring change from the bottom on up.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:15 PM
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

We (NORCAR) were thinking the same thing, that's why we put a minimum resistance of 3.5 out there for the Halloween Classic

I spot checked different manufacture's motors and saw 3.5 was a pretty fair number.

In oval, TOUR did the same thing with 10.5 motors.
Minimum resistance is 7.7 and that's it.

Doesn't get much easier than that
Old 09-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Then there is this.....posted over at Redrc "Following the recent change to the BRCA National classes, the Shootout Series offers the same classes for LMP12 cars with 13.5 blinky as the Stock class and 6.5 blinky as the revised Modified category. The switch to 6.5 blinky in place of Open Modified appears to have bolstered entries for all events, with nearly 3-times more competitors signing up to race this class than when it was run as open motor and speedo previously."

Isn't this what we want at the end of the day.

Steve
Old 09-12-2016, 05:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Super happy to see the potential comeback of 1/12 mod...
Old 09-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Rookie

I ran blinky 6.5t this weekend. I know people won't consider this, but I honestly wish it was our middle class instead of 13.5. It would be a really good stepping stone to open mod.
I totally agree. 10.5 Stock was fun. Going down to 13.5 made it boring and pricey. IMHO 17.5 or 13.5 is a stock class that is beginner friendly. Then somewhere between 10.5 and 6.5 is a nice range for super stock where you can work your way up to and get used to real power. And then Open mod. Itīs always been the superior pan car class and should be. I strongly believe that in the US very few people run mod because they are used to 17.5 so much. I ran a few laps with my 13.5 car last week that I used at the Euros after running a 3.5 all summer and it is really really slow. Going from 17.5 to 3.5 boosted is too extreme. Thatīs why there is a real need for a real super stock class like 10.5 or 8.5 or 6.5 blinky. Ditch 13.5.

Itīs not mod that need to be fixed, itīs the classes between 17.5 and mod.

Also, the first BRCA meeting with 6.5 was crowded. Thatīs normal for a new race format. After a few races drivers will realize the fast guys are still on top. I bet numbers will drop during the season.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Either way, IIC should be interesting.
Originally Posted by -----
I totally agree. 10.5 Stock was fun. Going down to 13.5 made it boring and pricey. IMHO 17.5 or 13.5 is a stock class that is beginner friendly.
Interesting point, I wonder why you would suggest this? If you look at lap times most places that have ran 17.5/13.5/6.5 all on the same layout with the same(ish) driver it appears as if there is a nice gapping of times, somewhere between .4-.6 seconds per class. So now if you take out 13.5 and change it to open mod you go 17.5/6.5/3.5boosted you end up with laptimes that have a .8-1.2 second faster lap to the intermediate speed, and then to open mod I can only imagine most people would go no faster, and even the ones that do would be what .2-.4 faster?

While I understand your point I think it would create serious issues with gapping that the current motor gap does not have. So while you may be trying to solve one problem it really doesn't solve anything. Isn't the ultimate goal of having faster classes to do faster lap times? Seems to me like a system that has almost uniform gaps from stock-mod is pretty good as is.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kave
Interesting point, I wonder why you would suggest this? If you look at lap times most places that have ran 17.5/13.5/6.5 all on the same layout with the same(ish) driver it appears as if there is a nice gapping of times, somewhere between .4-.6 seconds per class. So now if you take out 13.5 and change it to open mod you go 17.5/6.5/3.5boosted you end up with laptimes that have a .8-1.2 second faster lap to the intermediate speed, and then to open mod I can only imagine most people would go no faster, and even the ones that do would be what .2-.4 faster?

While I understand your point I think it would create serious issues with gapping that the current motor gap does not have. So while you may be trying to solve one problem it really doesn't solve anything. Isn't the ultimate goal of having faster classes to do faster lap times? Seems to me like a system that has almost uniform gaps from stock-mod is pretty good as is.
It's not all about laptimes. Mod is way more power than a second a lap indicates. The idea I think LlyodLoar was indicating is that 6.5 has some rip and the need to actually use some self control is present where as a 13.5 is not much different than a 17.5 in that you can still hammer it all the way and just lift a little more here and there.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Single fast laps in mod (while exhilarating) don't usually make for good racing

FEW club racers are faster in 8m running a 3.5, than with a 17. or 13.5

The gaps in classes over 8m should be more telling than a single fast lap

Fastest racers always going to win in any class, obviously, so ?
What's the point if there are less than a handfull who can stay on the lead lap in the country
And even less who will sign up to race mod locally

Does mod die, or get a face lift ?

The masses need to get together on a direction for the next few years at least
Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Kinda bummed about the 6.5 movement. Just got my 3.5 in the mail. Was looking forward to racing it this winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.