R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Just a few thoughts...Why is it that racers feel like they have to run the same wind motor that the last world champion ran? Have we also forgotten how gifted guys like Rheinard and Hagberg are? Just because they can drive a car with a 4.5 doesn't mean you can, or potentially should. The beauty of mod is that you CAN run a 6.5 that us mortals can handle and still be in the same class as a guy with a 3.5. The difference in horsepower between a 4.0T and a 6.5T, on a standard sized track is negligible at best.

Also comes down to the "instant gratification" competitors want today. Mod is not a beginners class and should be something that you need to work up to. So fast stock guys jump up in class and can't win with a mod car, and lose interest. Is this a problem of the rules/class or a problem that the driver isn't willing to put in the time? Don't ask me what the solution is to the second point because I don't have the answer.
Kidspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I like the idea of changing the super stock class, but keeping it as such racing will still be tight. I think 10.5 1:12 would be a great speed.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

6.5, 10.5 and 17.5 thats what we need
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
Tech Regular

After a lot of thought and seeing what others have posted, talking to a lot of people and looking at the results from my poll about this subject...

Open motor, blinky ESC (change blinky software to require low voltage cutoff is on), around 4000mah battery capacity. The battery capacity will automatically limit what motors you can run and be able to finish the race.

Drop super stock. Too many classes waters down racing.

Change stock to 21.5, maybe enough good drivers would get bored with it and step up to mod. Then it would leave the class more accessible to newer and less experienced racers.
avink007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Spec battery capacity is probably a dead end. The capacity varies from pack to pack in the same batch. What's printed on the label isn't always accurate. It's difficult to tech.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avink007 View Post
Change stock to 21.5, maybe enough good drivers would get bored with it and step up to mod. Then it would leave the class more accessible to newer and less experienced racers.
I could get on board with this. Still think you'd need 13.5 as a go between from stock to mod though.
fenton06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboislim View Post
IMO calling it mod and then putting a cap on it as to spec esc or motor is basically another spec class. but that's just my opinion
Agreed.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpittman View Post
I have toyed with 1/12 modified a couple of times, but am a far ways off from actually running it at a race. I would be more inclined to pursue it if it were blinky 6.5.
So what is stopping you from running a 6.5 in blinky in Mod? The whole premise of 'Mod' or so called open classes is you can choose the power plant you feel is the most appropriate for the track, layout, grip levels, competition and your ability.

It might mean you will have to get out of the way for Blake, but I doubt it, I bet you would lay down the same lap times as him.......I was fastest and the most consistent with the 5.5 versus the 3.5 or 4.5, but the 3.5 was a blast!! Also, the speed disparity on the straight wasn't really ever an issue.
WCICS.ca club rep. www.krcracing.ca
SLOWINSLOWOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #24
Tech Elite

I don't like the 21.5 idea as stock. Maybe for touring but not 1/12. 17.5 I won't say is too slow, but if you can hold the throttle down around most of the track it kinda becomes pointless to go any slower. You'll just basically be holding down the throttle the whole time while just steering the car.

As for mod, can't please everyone. Especially here in the USA. So many people are stuck in the stock mentality. They try mod once and they are like, "oh no that was too fast, I'll stick with stock." They are not willing to put in the time to get used to it and go faster. BUT, if 6.5 blinky is slow enough to attract more people than open mod, I say go for it. At least give it a try. The only thing it can hurt is attendance.

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #25
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Basically we either need to fill mod mains with competitive cars or separate the field so the top tier can battle it out without moving chicanes.

So either some sort of technical rule change -- or limiting who makes the big show.

Which is less dramatic?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

We need to go back to stock and mod(faster motors) 17.5 and a 6.5 class. 13.5 blinky 12th is pretty fast , most guys that try to run open mod-3.5 or 4.5 run slower than 13.5 blinky anyway. You could almost do a 17.5 and 10.5 12th and be good with that.
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Default My contribution to ProtoForm!

Hi Daleep,

Here some pictures of my new body.
Managed to takeof the genue decal and use it as feul cap.

Greetz Erwin

ps. Will try to do some more body's with different sheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk modified 1/12-20160813_213732.jpg   Let's talk modified 1/12-20160813_213903.jpg   Let's talk modified 1/12-20160813_213814.jpg   Let's talk modified 1/12-20160813_214001.jpg   Let's talk modified 1/12-20160813_214700.jpg  

Old 08-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Basically we either need to fill mod mains with competitive cars or separate the field so the top tier can battle it out without moving chicanes.

So either some sort of technical rule change -- or limiting who makes the big show.

Which is less dramatic?
If your goal is to simply group the fastest guys in one main or heat for mod and not to bring in more people, then it's simple. Have your regular mod class. Once the first round of qualifying is over, form a new heat for "Pro Mod." To be in this round the grouping needs to be within 2 or 3 laps of leader/fastest time. That way you can have your regular Mod A Main and a Pro Mod Main or Pro Mod A Main. No one is seeded into to Pro Mod until first round qualifying is over. You could even do this with stock if you wanted to.

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

I think you guys are looking at this wrong, the real problem with competitive racing is the lack of new racers. IMO the racing side of the hobby is in decline, when you go to most club races and one heat of 12th stock is a good weekend (and not a full heat at that) then why would you expect to see tons of racers in the mod class. For myself mod is too fast, I just cannot control or drive it, stock is as fast as I can handle. One thing I will add is that when you start to spec a class, any class, there are always people that try to stretch the rules to gain an advantage. Personally I think we just need two classes, stock (17.5) and open mod. Let the lap times seperate the class into heats, something like DR suggested where you have to be within "X" time of the TQ to be in the A main so as to avoid having the rolling chicane issue.

But back to my point, as long as you continue to see the same ten faces at the track there is very little hope of growing any class.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Why is this even a question...If you want to run a spec class run one of the 8+ classes that are already available. Change the rules in that class. Open mod should be just that. I don't want to have to compete with the 50% off guys who are getting the best motors and batteries that I don't even have access to. I may not be the most competitive Mod racer around but I get around safely and respect the drivers around me. As far as needing a better following, doesn't that apply to ALL of R/C racing in the US right now??
dan1714 is offline   Reply With Quote