R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM   #211
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Would love to run mod 1/12 - still cutting my teeth in Stock, but plan on making the jump when skills allow.
fenton06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #212
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
I can't say I know the answer, so I'll ask, how many North American clubs race Modified 1/12th regularly? I don't mean practice--race.

Seattle: 4-5 reliable racers at all of our scheduled club races. Occasionally there will be a couple more visitors or local fly-bys. But count 5 Mod 1/12th club racers in Seattle. Right now, it's Open Mod.

I'll add that it represents approximately 10% of our average club race turnout.

And I can back the numbers up with our published club race results.

https://seattlercracers.com/onroad-racing/

At NORCAR we get 0 Mod guys running weekly.
Maybe before the season starts 1 or 2 guys show up to practice once a month, but that's about it.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #213
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Sadly the world's has been, and was again, a tire war above anything else.

Possibly the best fix for mod 1/12 is a spec tire run world wide? I love pinks.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #214
Tech Fanatic

I don't see why a spec tire couldn't be used for the World Championships. They use spec tires in 1/10th electric and Nitro worlds and I think the last 1/8th onroad worlds were spec tires as well?
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
St. Louis area has 2-3, Indianapolis has 3, Cleveland/Cincinnati has 4-5, Chicago has 2, add to that me and 2 or 3 others out side those area traveling in, makes about 15 total in the midwest
You can add another to the StL area, i plan on running Mod this season. If I can handle it, lol.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #216
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

We run mod semi regularly on the island. Mostly the long term experienced guys who have been racing 12th scale 20 some years, but there are a few of us newer to the hobby that embrace it when club race turnouts are high or when world gt turnouts disappear.

On the south island i can think of 9-10 racers who are ready to run and excited to run mod given the time at club races.
when we host wcics, mod and stock13.5 12th scale numbers are high. Think we had 58 13.5 cars and more than 30 mod cars last year.
Some of the smaller races suffer in mod entries though so maybe its a west coast thing.

Ill also add... Specing anything in mod wouldnt help these numbers.. People run a wide range of winds and boost or no boost. The guys who run it at alot run 4.5 mostly with boost. Others run 6.5-7.5 10.5 with and withought boost. No one is complaining about power. When we ran 10.5 boost at wcics, that was a fun speed i think.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not sure who you're counting in Cleveland as active participants, Ken. Like Wayne said, we usually have zero.

I've never seen 15 from the region even at our big race.
nwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I don't see why a spec tire couldn't be used for the World Championships. They use spec tires in 1/10th electric and Nitro worlds and I think the last 1/8th onroad worlds were spec tires as well?
Uniform hubs, or lack there of

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #219
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwagner View Post
I'm not sure who you're counting in Cleveland as active participants, Ken. Like Wayne said, we usually have zero.

I've never seen 15 from the region even at our big race.
Not talking about the Gate per say, or cumulative at a big race, just the guys in those areas who have run mod, and likely would at an event they were attending.

But for the classic 2010-19 entries, '11-15, '12-11, '13-10, '14-15, '15-9, so while it has been up and down there are a few and I know each race was missing a few mod guys for one reason or another.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 08-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #220
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This years world showed that all the claims that the runtime can be made with smaller batteries are complete false. The batteries of many drivers dumped on the end of the race.
Ulti Tires
silden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #221
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Sadly the world's has been, and was again, a tire war above anything else.

Possibly the best fix for mod 1/12 is a spec tire run world wide? I love pinks.
You are right, but every 1/12 race at a big event was/is a tire war.
Ulti Tires
Old 08-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #222
Tech Addict

I believe that the main reason for low attendance in 1/12 mod is the low attendance in all 1/12 classes. The problem is that many of the new drivers are turned off, by the vast amount of available tires and trueing of them. The trueing part they accept, but we should change to spec tires of some sort for the stock classes and a choice of 3 types in mod. That will regain the flow of new blood in to 1/12 and eventually in to mod.
The TC classes are not suffering with attendance because they have a spec tire, usually.
Ulti Tires
Old 08-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #223
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silden View Post
I believe that the main reason for low attendance in 1/12 mod is the low attendance in all 1/12 classes. The problem is that many of the new drivers are turned off, by the vast amount of available tires and trueing of them. The trueing part they accept, but we should change to spec tires of some sort for the stock classes and a choice of 3 types in mod. That will regain the flow of new blood in to 1/12 and eventually in to mod.
The TC classes are not suffering with attendance because they have a spec tire, usually.
Already is usually Green or Blue rears, and Blue, Double Blue, or Pink front. While each manufacture has a variation/name for them, I'm pretty sure that covers most combinations of what was run in Mod the last 2+ years. And for me it's narrower, Green Rears always, was Magenta front till black carpet, Now I prefer Pink. I only order what I like and have never been sorry for not having something else.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 08-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #224
Tech Addict

Quote:
Already is usually Green or Blue rears, and Blue, Double Blue, or Pink front. While each manufacture has a variation/name for them, I'm pretty sure that covers most combinations of what was run in Mod the last 2+ years. And for me it's narrower, Green Rears always, was Magenta front till black carpet, Now I prefer Pink. I only order what I like and have never been sorry for not having something else.
Your are right with this statement, but your tire choice comes from many years of experience. But I have to tell you that the vast amounts of different tires was for us the most intimidating part in the beginning. We still getting this figured out, but most people don't want spend this time only to get around the track without traction rolling, hooking or sliding. And therefore we should use a spec compound for the stock classes. Once the people are hocked they will spend the time and work it out.
Ulti Tires

Last edited by silden; 08-23-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #225
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Maybe true stateside, but not worldwide. Take JFT for example. You have 30s, 30c, 30a compound. All the same shore, but different foam/rubber composition. Same can be said of Ulti tires with X,Y,Z, and J compounds. Then add all the other types of Japanese foams out there. You can't just say Green, or Pink. What pink? 30c or 30a? Or is it Green 30s? Now if you narrow it down to say... BSR, then yeah you can say Green or Pink or Blue.... or whatever. Yeah, maybe those are the ones mostly ran in the past 2 years, but which compound/shore? hehe Tire war!

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote