Search
Like Tree62Likes

Let's talk modified 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
We've had incredible support from manufacturers wanting to sponsor our race. I can find things to complain about in RC from now until the end of time, but manufacturer support for our big race wouldn't be on that list.
Congrats on getting great support for the race.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys....

The WC attendance by the U.S. to me, in on-road is embarrassing. It's one of the things that is why I'm so passionate about this as I feel the U.S. has some extremely good and talented racers that could compete for a WC. However, many of them just race 17.5... Racing 6.5 won't help us on this stage neither. If I never attend another WC, so be it... But, if I could be a motivator, helper, whatever (by pissing people off here even...lol) to get to the tracks and try to put the effort into mod then it's worth it. I'm beyond tired of all the "mod" sponsors taking their support overseas and leaving U.S. guys hung out to dry.

We have the talent to get back there at that level. I'll gladly share what's in my cars with anyone if that means we can generate a huge turn around and get the U.S. back on the map as it should be.

Huge props for AE's continued efforts to send Kevin and Rick and still supporting their Mod on-road program!! Best of luck to those guys at the WC!
Old 08-20-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

went to WC track to see practice yesterday. it is crazy to see how many tires each driver using, the spec tire is make sense.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TamiyaW1688
went to WC track to see practice yesterday. it is crazy to see how many tires each driver using, the spec tire is make sense.
It's the F'n World Champs, you'd be amazed how many Tires Nascar uses or a ProTeam at the Tour De France. Any World Class event throws usage concerns out the window, if it was a spec event it would likely still be same total tires used
Old 08-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dbailes
Looking at the entries there is one US citizen competing at the Worlds. Disgraceful! If it was an Olympic sport it wouldnt be that way.
And Dumbing down Mod in the US sure ain't going to help
Old 08-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Live now.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the Worlds stream link. There is also a Twitch.tv stream that may be more stable, but they both kinda suck.

The traction looks terrible. It must be tradition at the 1/12 Worlds.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
It's the F'n World Champs, you'd be amazed how many Tires Nascar uses or a ProTeam at the Tour De France. Any World Class event throws usage concerns out the window, if it was a spec event it would likely still be same total tires used
i know is world event, it is ok if sponsor to supply all tires. it will be expense for non sponsored guy to race on this event. i spend about $280 for one compound for wc, i need to spend about 1k if i need to buy additional two more compounds. just too $ to run it. The real car race event has support from enent such air time, ticket and sponsored for car. so it is different story.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

http://events.redrc.net/2016/08/mats...ld-champion-2/

Editorial reaction from 2016 1/12 worlds--

"and while the 50 entry count was up slightly on the 2014 numbers, with all A-finalists clearly the best in the world, it is clear that in the best interest of keeping 1:12 alive, IFMAR, the drivers and all involved manufacturers need to collectively work together in finding solutions that make the class more appealing and try and return it to it hayday when far more World Championship touring competitors took part."
Old 08-22-2016, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

This doesn't really just pertain to 1/12, but it goes along with the worlds going on right now. I think the prestige of the worlds and other big races has fallen in recent years with the influx of rc news sites.

Go on RedRC, LiveRC, or any other of the 10s of rc news sites and it'll be loaded with podium pictures from races no one has ever heard of, they also have a large majority of race reports written by a particular company pushing certain classes they did well in. When a big race like the Birds comes up, the coverage is the same and it all blends together. If you're a club racer, you'll never see who is winning the big races and which cars are doing well. There's really no incentive for a manufacture to push to win mod at the birds because only a limited amount of people will be paying attention. There's an incentive to do well in stock since you can sell a bunch of motors to other people at the race.

There's exceptions to this, like the RedRC coverage of the ETS and EOS series where they extensively cover the premiere mod classes and provide a little coverage of the stock classes. This coverage is incredible, it is exactly how a race should be covered and a large reason why the two series are so popular. I'd be happy to argue that this coverage increases racing in these classes and improves competition. The world's is similar, but it's still on about the same level as ETS and EOS coverage.

To see an increase in racing of mod classes I think there needs to be a new push to improve the coverage and journalistic standards in order to reset the premiere classes and give less coverage to the filler classes that have unfairly been the premiere classes at a lot of races. Lets take IIC as an example of what I'm proposing, the race report will consist of lots of coverage for Mod Touring and 1/12, then smaller sections regarding the stock classes. Make the mod classes seem like a big deal, they are after all. Making the Mod A-main should be far more prestigious than making the podium in stock.

The other thing that needs to happen is that news sites should pick the top races to cover and hype them up while giving much less attention to small regional races. If a race got 50 entries, it shouldn't be on RedRC with as much coverage as a big race. I know a lot of news sites get paid to post these small races, but it ruins the prestige of big races. Perhaps divide up the small races into regional sections. If I'm in Florida, I don't care who won the Peruvian Nationals. Although I do want to see who won the mod classes at IIC and the Birds. For off-road, same sort of thing, mod 2wd and 4wd buggy and pro 1/8 buggy. If the "premiere" classes are pushed, I think you'll have an increase in entries for these classes.

Right now there is only 9 entries for mod touring at asphalt nats in a few weeks, increase the coverage for this class and you'll have more people running it. If I knew it'd be posted all over news sites I'd jump on board knowing that even if I crash and burn, at least I will have made the A at a major race. 15 entries? Well then I'd only have to beat 5 people to make the A at a big race. 20 entries? I just need to practice. And so on.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't say I know the answer, so I'll ask, how many North American clubs race Modified 1/12th regularly? I don't mean practice--race.

Seattle: 4-5 reliable racers at all of our scheduled club races. Occasionally there will be a couple more visitors or local fly-bys. But count 5 Mod 1/12th club racers in Seattle. Right now, it's Open Mod.

I'll add that it represents approximately 10% of our average club race turnout.

And I can back the numbers up with our published club race results.

https://seattlercracers.com/onroad-racing/
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet
I can't say I know the answer, so I'll ask, how many North American clubs race Modified 1/12th regularly? I don't mean practice--race.

Seattle: 4-5 reliable racers at all of our scheduled club races. Occasionally there will be a couple more visitors or local fly-bys. But count 5 Mod 1/12th club racers in Seattle. Right now, it's Open Mod.

You might be it in the entire US.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TamiyaW1688
No different with a spec tire, unless they do like the IIC and limit the number of sets used.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

"With China doing an impressive job in hosting the World Championships for the first time, and while the 50 entry count was up slightly on the 2014 numbers, with all A-finalists clearly the best in the world, it is clear that in the best interest of keeping 1:12 alive, IFMAR, the drivers and all involved manufacturers need to collectively work together in finding solutions that make the class more appealing and try and return it to it hayday when far more World Championship touring competitors took part."

This is a quote from RedRc
Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet

St. Louis area has 2-3, Indianapolis has 3, Cleveland/Cincinnati has 4-5, Chicago has 2, add to that me and 2 or 3 others out side those area traveling in, makes about 15 total in the midwest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.