R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Do we really need a v cut ?

I can't be the only one here to have run a mod car down far enough to notice it's time to stop
No need for a V cut. I vote 10minute mains for TQ. Lol
Old 08-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #152
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks Ken Miller!

You are dead right! The Midwest Throttle Junkies was a huge success!! Everywhere we went we advertised a little, and got guys that don't normally run mod to come out and try it, other local guys saw that mere mortals can drive mod and wanted to try it too!! Some stuck with it, and are running mod at larger events now. That is what the mod community needs to do. Help guys step up. My son is only 10 months old, which has put The Throttle Junkie tour on pause, but rest assured that once I can get it going again, we will be pushing again!

If it helps your local area, you can send me flyers for your local races that will offer Mod classes and I will put them up on The Midwest Throttle Junkies facebook page to help get the word out!
dan1714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #153
Tech Master

Syndrome - Thank you for bringing to light the exact thinking that put us in this situation and why the US will continue to decline in on-road on a World stage. Race autocross in your local parking lot or race at Lemans or Monaco?? I know what I would aspire to...

And btw - Awesomatix had a HUGE following with the shaft car before the belt car came around. I'm also aware of the spike in sales after I won some race in Mod called the MHIC just after Kody won Mod at the ROAR Nationals just a month apart. The strange Russian car was already on the map. Nice try though...

Carl - It's not a nitro race... I don't know why this even comes up each time this discussion hits. What killed 1/8?? High down force bodies and tire additive. Added a ton of wear/tear on cars, clutches and engines.... Did I mention we dumped at the Champs this year in an 8 minute race when we first switched to this new CRC carpet?? 1/8 and 1/12 are both suffering from the same issues...

vafactor - Lipos wouldn't be destroyed... Panasonic 1700mah packs were just like Lipo in the fact that you couldn't run them down to where the car stopped moving. It would break the cells. It's simple - you start to dump and you pull over and stop. I have enough faith in racers that there's enough common sense in RC for this...

Amen Mr. Miller as usual...

PutAwayWet - Stock racers should not have full sponsorships and stay in stock forever. This is supposed to be the sport's entry level class where racers can of course enjoy the hobby, learn and evolve. I understand some people do not have the skills to move up and I have zero beef with that. I do have a beef with people in the U.S. who have such a screwed up mindset that stock racers are more valuable than those who move up and compete in modified.... See comment to Syndrome... Aspire to greater... From a guy with a day job, 2 kids wife and other places to allocate my time and $ to...
Old 08-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #154
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just throwing this out there - but what if some of the larger races implemented some rules whereas if you win a Stock class, you cannot run it the following year, but instead must run one class up (Stock -> Super Stock -> Mod).

This could force some guys to move up the ladder, and then allow other guys a chance at the top podium spot.

The Reedy Races do this I believe.

No idea how this will be received, just throwing it in for conversation sake.
lpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Good ole days..
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk modified 1/12-image.jpeg  
Old 08-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #156
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Could a change to liFe instead of lipo batteries be looked at? They don't suffer much from dumping and they are just a little less voltage as well. Maybe worth looking at. I can't remember if weight was much different. Maybe the curve is not that good either. It seems that making a way to monitor discharge so that cut-off is based on mAh usage is not easily doable.

On a side note, I had always wished 1/12 went to a 380 size motor when brushless became what we used. Wonder what that would have done to pod, and chassis design in general.

-a
Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem that companies create is the say a driver is sponsored and give him a discount just to do direct business. Not necessarily because the driver is a winning or fast driver ... I have no problem with companies doing direct business but somewhere along the lines it gets lost .. Sponsored driver doesn't mean what it used to Imo. Unless your 100 %

After reading all this I so agree that it gets old seeing the same guys in stock every year or least not seeing some of those guys runnin modified as well. I can understand the difference in running a stock 1/12. Then trying to run mod 1/12
It's not easy by any means

I think as I said in an earlier post. Stock needs to get less motor to encourage newbies into the hobby. A locked timing 21.5 maybe There needs to be more of a progression in classes. Instead of it being so close Bring back super stock 13.5 (adjustable timing) which could be an expert class etc ... And then mod.

I would like to see shorter mod qualifiers with maybe something like a super pole for tq ( at bigraces)

These other classes are just too much. And I'm not trying to offend anyone but usgt. Vta. Wgtr. They are painful to watch. Especially if there's a full blown guy runnin against some guys daughter ... To me it's like watching full blown sponsored guys run gt8 nitro. It's painful ... But this is my opinion

I think a better spin on qualifying and a better spacing of horsepower to class ratio may help.

I believe mod should stay mod. maybe take away the boost. On a 3.5. Maybe not. It would be nice to see something done to help the hobby and tracks and interest grow
Old 08-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrcr View Post
Could a change to liFe instead of lipo batteries be looked at? They don't suffer much from dumping and they are just a little less voltage as well. Maybe worth looking at. I can't remember if weight was much different. Maybe the curve is not that good either. It seems that making a way to monitor discharge so that cut-off is based on mAh usage is not easily doable.

On a side note, I had always wished 1/12 went to a 380 size motor when brushless became what we used. Wonder what that would have done to pod, and chassis design in general.

-a

I have two four cell sub-c sized life packs and have run them in an older sub-c chassis 12th car. The cells I have are 1100mah if memory serves me correctly, a four cell pack weighs close to a 5000mah lipo but gives you the rip like back in the 4-cell days. Now as you may have guessed at 1100 mah per cell run time is an issue. I was able to get 8mins in stock and be faster than 4-cell nimh cars due to the lighter weight; but no way a mod car could make time (and feel like a mod car) on these cells. I was playing with these ten years ago so perhaps there are better/higher mah life cells available today. Lots to like about life, tons of power, light weight, and no fire danger like lipo.

I have also bolted up a couple of 380 motors in the past,worked fine but the pods would need a redesign to work well with those small motors.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #159
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Syndrome - Thank you for bringing to light the exact thinking that put us in this situation and why the US will continue to decline in on-road on a World stage. Race autocross in your local parking lot or race at Lemans or Monaco?? I know what I would aspire to...

And btw - Awesomatix had a HUGE following with the shaft car before the belt car came around. I'm also aware of the spike in sales after I won some race in Mod called the MHIC just after Kody won Mod at the ROAR Nationals just a month apart. The strange Russian car was already on the map. Nice try though...
I also saw you win a national title in mod with the ARC, but don't remember a bunch of those showing up in the pits afterwards.

But you're right, you and Kody had great success in mod with the A700 and that no doubt contributed to the brand's popularity. Maybe AMX isn't the best example.

Still, stock wins are valuable to sponsors. They want their best guys to run 17.5 because that's the largest class in US racing and winning it at the highest level means something. Mod wins are valuable too, of course. But I think it's debatable which moves more product.

I doubt trying to make stock racers feel guilty will ever be an effective way to get them into mod.

Last edited by syndr0me; 08-18-2016 at 10:31 PM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #160
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

On a different note, if you're been on the fence about trying modified, and have access to a track with the new CRC carpet, it's worth giving it a shot. At least with sedan, I've personally found mod to be a lot more approachable with the kind of grip we have now. We've been racing it exclusively since April and it's the most fun I've had in a long time in RC.

It's also pretty easy from an equipment perspective. No motor games once you find the wind you feel comfortable with. Any old battery will do. And it really does start to slow down once you get comfortable with it. I'm a fan of modified. As an amateur racer with a day job and a ton of kids, the simplicity of it actually appeals to me more than stock racing right now. In a lot of ways, mod is an easier life in RC.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I still can't get my head around an uncut V...

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:41 AM   #162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I'm only going to comment on this once and be done.. Maybe I'm totally wrong here but when I started racing 7-8 years ago, I wanted to run against the best guys in 17.5. I didn't care if I got a damn trophy or not, or ended up in the D main or not. That's not why I paid out of pocket to attend every big race in the country, I wanted the best.

The top 20 drivers in tc and 1/12 stock classes are all sponsored some how. That same top 20 are the ones that give the most support as a group to all the national and regional races in the form of entries. I'm confused on how taking away 40 entries at a race like MICH or small race like Dallas last weekend would help the hobby? I can tell you I wouldn't have spent $1000 to go race one class last weekend....

Print all of the top results from last year. The top 20 stock 1/12 and tc guys are the ones that do the majority of the traveling. Maybe the problem isn't the stock guys after all.... Go ahead and put me on blast, but when I show up at your track this year, and drop cash for 3 entries and I bring 5-6 guys with me that are all sponsored and all run stock, I bet you'll take my money and appreciate it when we leave. helping your track stay open for another year.

IMO, the on-road scene is great right now. Every national race last year sold out or was close to it. Keep it going and let's come together for Christ sake. Looking forward to seeing everyone this winter!! Looking forward to trying out 6.5 at the HC.

Last edited by WIITA; 08-19-2016 at 02:00 AM.
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:59 AM   #163
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

While I don't see 1/12th Stock as a feeder class as for example the 80cc mx bikes (how cool would be a group of adults racing that class against kids?) I think for that to happen the entire structure has to change. I would get rid of SS, who runs SS as main class? Then make current Stock the SS (with the same motor) and create a 21.5 or 25.5 feeder class. Now Mod is a not that simple, I have a old school(circa 2000's) body and a Blitz P12 body, the old body has at least a third of the rear spoiler area while being approximately same height and the old body canopy height is 2cm higher. The most prominent difference is the rear spoiler area, where it's much more close to the wheels and chassis in the Blitz, looks like a dam in the rear. That's why I proposed a height limit on the rear, taking downforce and therefore grip away. Mod doesn't need more grip or it's going the 1/8th nitro way (nailed that one Mr. Cyrul). A better way to keep speeds sane is not to limit motor but grip, my 0.02 euro cent.

BTW, BRCA Stock is 13.5 and 10.5 motors.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 AM   #164
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So far we've heard. Did I miss anything?

Less mah
Less voltage
Blinky
High turn motors
Less down force
Less grip/traction
More weight
Longer races

We cannot control who / why people run what classes they do.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #165
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's also pretty easy from an equipment perspective. No motor games once you find the wind you feel comfortable with. Any old battery will do. And it really does start to slow down once you get comfortable with it. I'm a fan of modified. As an amateur racer with a day job and a ton of kids, the simplicity of it actually appeals to me more than stock racing right now. In a lot of ways, mod is an easier life in RC.
This is why I run Mod.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is online now   Reply With Quote