R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-17-2017, 02:50 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: XRAY X12 2017 1/12 Pan Car
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: R Dodge
Welcome to the XRAY X12'17 Thread & Wikipost! Here you will find some useful info, tips and tricks as well as setups that are used by several team drivers. Many of us run the X12'17 on high bite carpet and with most US tracks going to the new black CRC carpet, most setups from here out will be developed for those high bite conditions.

Tips & Tricks:
Some racers notice slop developed in the front end over time. One method to reduce/remove this, as pointed out by some of our friends in Europe is to score the inside of the plastic front pivot ball (where the kingpin goes through) with a sharp xacto blade. Usually 4 scores at 12, 3, 6 and 9 will do. Alternative options can be found listed below.

As with any 1/12 pan car, a smooth operating suspension is critical to performance. It is recommended to polish your kingpins & hinge pins using a dremel or a drill and some sort of polish (IE Gravity polish or Mothers Aluminum polish will work). If you find that your suspension has a bind, you may look at using a reamer or drillbit to make sure the holes are clear of any flashing or debris. The only place this may happen is at the upper hingepin, which is 2mm dia.

For stock racing we usually find ourselves looking for a little more steering. One trick that some of the stock drivers have done that seems to help is lowering the graphite plate that the servo & shock mount to. To do this, you will need the 17mm standoffs from VBC and the servo mounts from the 2015 or earlier X12. Be careful that the servo mounts do not sit crooked on the plate when attaching it; a 0.2-0.5mm shim will help ensure it sits perfect on the graphite plate. Part numbers can be found below.

Option Parts to consider:
XRA371220 X12 Foam Bumper
XRA372012 Composite Front Upper Arm Mount – Right – Graphite

XRA372022 Composite Front Upper Arm Mount – Left – Graphite

XRA372113 Composite Suspension Arm Front Lower – Right – Graphite

XRA372123 Composite Suspension Arm Front Lower – Left – Graphite
XRA372177
Spring 4.75 Coils 3.6x6x0.45mm, C=2.0 - Silver (Soft) (2)
XRA372178
Spring 4.05 Coils 3.6x6x0.45mm, C=2.5 - Black (Soft) (2)
XRA373584 Side Spring C=0.6 - Silver (2)
XRA373586 Side Spring C=1.2 - Black (2)
XRA375010 Graphite Rear Axle Shaft - highly recommended
XRA378094 Shock Spring C=2.1 – Black

Lowered Graphite Plate:
B-02-VBC5005
XRA376255-O Alu Servo Mount - Orange (2)

Front end options:
ASC4403 Kingpins, 1:12 Scale
ASC4622 Upper Arm Eyelets

ASC4626 Upper Arm Mounts/Steering Blocks
ASC4627 Front Axles
ASC8417 Pivot Balls

Aluminum Chassis:
Max.FX Aluminum Chassis
McFactory Motorsports
Reflex/RSD

Recent Setups:
Alexander Hagberg - Snowbird Nationals - Mod - High Bite
Craig Xavier - Snowbird Nationals - 17.5 - High Bite
Robbie Dodge - Snowbird Nationals - 17.5 - High Bite
Eric Anderson - ROAR Carpet Nationals - 13.5 High Bite

Print Wikipost

Like Tree4Likes

Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #181
Tech Rookie

So I just got the aluminum chassis from xray and was just curious as to how to stop the forward movement of the battery when running cross chassis configuration
Mschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mschott View Post
So I just got the aluminum chassis from xray and was just curious as to how to stop the forward movement of the battery when running cross chassis configuration
3M makes a double sided variety of their thin clear scotch tape. I place a little piece under the battery then the strapping tape. does not take much to keep it from slipping.

http://www.shoplet.com/Scotch-brite-...qU3xoC41Tw_wcB

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #183
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Spurs...what brand are you guys running? I am having a hard time finding a 72 tooth that works....
Old 03-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #184
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasracer View Post
Spurs...what brand are you guys running? I am having a hard time finding a 72 tooth that works....
You can use the machined Xenon racing spur gear.
This will work perfectly.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #185
Tech Elite

Congrats to EA for winning the 13.5 class at the 2017 ROAR Carpet Nats! His setup can be found in the article below, and now in the wikipost above.

https://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/ne...2836d44476fccd
RBLove and MUDVAYNE like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #186
Tech Regular

I just ordered this kit due to my very positive experience with my X1. My last experience with a 12th scale was a Carpet Knife 3.2 on 27turn and NiMH. The last time I ran that car the front end was very worn with lots of slop in it. It worked great but maybe it could have been better. Funny, looking through the '15, 16' 17' feature presentations... they all say the excess play was removed.

Last edited by DavidNERODease; 03-20-2017 at 11:35 AM.
DavidNERODease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #187
Ty
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I am getting out of racing and I have a new unbuilt X12 '17 for sale. Please PM if anyone is interested. I am getting rid of everything I have cheap. Thanks.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

hey guys,

newb here, we are running a new class called GT which has 21.5 motors and GT bodies.

built the kit box stock , now I didn't have a truer to borrow so I ran the tires uncut. ( I know I know)

car was 'tippy' and the chassis was actually scraping the track. Seems 3k is way too soft in the side pods. I did glue the foams.

Now is this due to my uncut tires or put much heavier lube in?

car's a blast, never drove 12th scale before.
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:33 AM   #189
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10 View Post
hey guys,

newb here, we are running a new class called GT which has 21.5 motors and GT bodies.

built the kit box stock , now I didn't have a truer to borrow so I ran the tires uncut. ( I know I know)

car was 'tippy' and the chassis was actually scraping the track. Seems 3k is way too soft in the side pods. I did glue the foams.

Now is this due to my uncut tires or put much heavier lube in?

car's a blast, never drove 12th scale before.
Assuming you are on black carpet, I think it is a combination of both. Truing the tires will definitely make the car perform better. I think 3k is too soft for most applications. Most of our team uses around 15k in the tubes.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #190
Tech Elite

what size do you recommend cutting them too? 3k was like water in the tubes LOL.

I put 60 k in LOL, haha.

gonna go off of Hagberg's setup for the Birds, we run on high grip crc black carpet.

ordered black springs center and sides.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:22 AM   #191
Tech Elite

Quote:
what size do you recommend cutting them too? 3k was like water in the tubes LOL.

I put 60 k in LOL, haha.

gonna go off of Hagberg's setup for the Birds, we run on high grip crc black carpet.

The smaller you go the better they seem to perform, but that is not good for the wallet. For club racing I would probably do 41mm Front and 42mm R assuming these are the lilac spec tires. That should get you through a day at least, probably two.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #192
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
The smaller you go the better they seem to perform, but that is not good for the wallet. For club racing I would probably do 41mm Front and 42mm R assuming these are the lilac spec tires. That should get you through a day at least, probably two.
Robbie, I've been able to get the rear spec tires (purple stripe) to last almost three weekends, and the fronts for at least a day, maybe even a day and a half. And this is in 13.5. I cut my fronts at 41.5 and the rears at 42.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:16 AM   #193
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:

I put 60 k in LOL, haha.

I would put the 15k in the tubes, and stick with the factory teak springs. I run factory tweak springs and center shock spring in 13.5 on the black CRC carpet and don't seem to have any issues. I also run the spec (purple stripe) tires.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #194
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
Robbie, I've been able to get the rear spec tires (purple stripe) to last almost three weekends, and the fronts for at least a day, maybe even a day and a half. And this is in 13.5. I cut my fronts at 41.5 and the rears at 42.
Great info, thanks for sharing!

My club track still has gray carpet, so we don't get the same great wear out of our tires. 21.5 on black carpet should last Jeff pretty well then!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #195
Tech Elite

Thank you guys, yes I plan to run the Lilacs.

So is everyone running the aluminum chassis too? Is it THAT much better?