Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The early Yokomo onroad car (YR4 ? ) had a 2 speed option available. It was a very well engineered and light weight piece of equipment taht worked extremely well up to a point. At that time we were using much less capacity batteries (1700mah or maybe 2000 mah) with much less voltage.

If teh 2 speed was adjusted to change at just the right spot when teh battery was fresh then it didn't change at the right spot once the battery started to go down. We messed with it a fair bit and loved it but because of teh rules we couldn't race with it so eventually lost interest - but I'd love to try it again with the batteries we have now.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

as was stated before ^^ a gear box for electric is a waste of time for "speed + torque"
Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I might be wrong, as I've never owned one, but aren't e-maxx's 2 speed? I think alot of guys will make it 1 speed for racing, but I think they are 2 speed when box stock.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

slightly off topic but has anyone thought that a geared system may be the answer to the overheating issues we are having ie the worlds, if we had gears the motors wouldnt be pulling tall ratios at low speeds ie less heat build up, just a thought?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

With brushless and LiPo you may see a return of the 2 speed electric since they can provide the same performance through the entire pack.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Yeah brushless would get rid of all that arcing sombody mentioned earlier.

Even though it does not seem to work on paper i would sure like to see a decent system on a car with brushless and LIPO.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Infinitely variable split pulley; much better, with no shock to the motor. They are used in machinery; lathes, mills, drill presses. They are very durable, and not extremely complicated.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

can you 2 speed 1930 into a modified electric colt
Old 08-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
With brushless and LiPo you may see a return of the 2 speed electric since they can provide the same performance through the entire pack.
The latest car action has a brushless conversion installed in an LST2. Two speed worked like a charm in both low and high gear settings. Because of the instaneous punch fed by the batteries (they used Li-Po), it wheelied whenever they let off and mashed the throttle..regardless the speed. For on road cars, you would need one helluva str8away to really appreciate it and most cars wouldnt have the room for it. Not to mention, ROAR standards probably will NEVER allow it anywhoos. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry for the Bump on this old topic but i was wondering if anyone ever tried that nova 2 speed. I have a brushless mamba 5700 system and saw that this was something possible and it might be better in brushless. Would it be something that is worth it or is it made just for a cool factor. I think it would be sweet but I dont want to go and screw up my brushless setup