R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

just ask the hillbilly ea he knows everything.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #92
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That was the first thing I thought of EA, our place would go down in flames. It would take the manufacturers removing the feature to disable or making it painfully slow in tech to check everyone for compliance with an enforced cutoff.
nwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #93
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwagner View Post
That was the first thing I thought of EA, our place would go down in flames. It would take the manufacturers removing the feature to disable or making it painfully slow in tech to check everyone for compliance with an enforced cutoff.
Tech would be easy, take a fixed, sub cut-off voltage source ie 2.9v plug car in and see if motor runs. Just about as fast as checking battery voltage.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #94
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Tech would be easy, take a fixed, sub cut-off voltage source ie 2.9v plug car in and see if motor runs.
Great idea!
Old 08-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #95
Tech Master

Common sense guys... Batteries do not blow up from over discharge/dumping, they blow up from shorting or re-charging after they are dumped too far or have become too hot (sitting in a hot car or super hard discharge).... .... You will never see a battery run down too far in an RC car catch fire.

If this was the case - The Pro Mod oval cars at the Birds would have caught fire nearly every run at the Snowbirds. In testing for ProMod, I put in too much boost and emptied a pack in 3:15... Did it puff a little, yes. Catch fire? Not a chance. Practiced with it the rest of the time I was down at King.

About the stupidest comment I've heard yet in this debate.

Last edited by Josh Cyrul; 08-10-2016 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #96
Tech Regular

People still have to charge them back up...

I don't think a battery that has gone past the cut off can perform an Immaculate Conception (err, charge).

While lipo sacks are fire resistant, they def ain't fireproof.

We're not pretending that every battery would blow up if it was dropped too low, however, it certainly increases the risk.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfergie View Post
I need to exercise my throttle finger. Been awhile!
Must have fallen asleep while you've been sitting on your thumb, eh?

-Sean
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:31 AM   #98
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Must have fallen asleep while you've been sitting on your thumb, eh?

-Sean
Stick to promoting, Sean. Your not a comedian or racer!😀

And you always seam to have guys rears on you mind!!!🤔
Rfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not add any fuel to this fire, but JUST FOR CONVERSATION'S SAKE, what if there was a handout plug in device that simulated dumping without actually dumping the pack. This would would simulate what mod was like in the old days. Run what ever motor you want, what ever speed control settings you want, but you only have so much voltage to work with. Obviously there would still be a lot of work to do to make this happen, but would that interest people in going back to mod?

In my opinion, the cars are too fast. Very few of us even have access to a track large enough to practice mod. Do mod guys want strategy brought back into it, or do they just want to go 200mph and hope they don't explode their car into a million pieces?
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #100
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Dumper-- mod 6.5 is slower. Please come out and play!
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #101
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumper View Post
Not add any fuel to this fire, but JUST FOR CONVERSATION'S SAKE, what if there was a handout plug in device that simulated dumping without actually dumping the pack. This would would simulate what mod was like in the old days. Run what ever motor you want, what ever speed control settings you want, but you only have so much voltage to work with. Obviously there would still be a lot of work to do to make this happen, but would that interest people in going back to mod?

In my opinion, the cars are too fast. Very few of us even have access to a track large enough to practice mod. Do mod guys want strategy brought back into it, or do they just want to go 200mph and hope they don't explode their car into a million pieces?
YES. Strategy and race management are part of every form of racing except how RC has gone in the past 10+yrs. Even spec racing used to dump. I agree, mod needs to be slower but it doesn't need to be a faster version of 13.5 or 17.5 where you run some drag brake but essentially run wide open everywhere. The excitement of mod for me when I first started was not knowing who won till the last lap, last turn. Now, it's a snooze fest unless 2 guys actually have good cars and aren't blasted off the track. I get it, people don't want to dump but it was a fantastic equalizer in making races fun and exciting to watch and be a part of....
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The most exciting mod race that I ever witnessed was many years ago at the Indoor Champs. Andy Dobson emerged victorious. On the last lap or two Andy continued to run strongly while the guy who led for most of the race clearly was beginning to go soft. So Andy was able to run down the leader, make a fantastic clean pass and take the lead in the middle of the very last corner of the final lap, and just a few feet in front of the timing stripe. That most exciting win was probably due to a super smooth drive, an efficient car, and better battery management than the guy(s) who led for the first 7 minutes and 59 seconds. That dramatic last lap pass for the win was just fantastic to witness.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #103
Tech Master

Regardless of the rules and format I'm plenty capable of crashing and destroying stuff at any moment
Old 08-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #104
Tech Master

And now my .02 on how to revive mod 1/12th scale.....first off (and I think that most would probably agree) the current 1/12th mod cars are just too fast. There are only a few guys in the whole country who can handle and fully exploit the amazing capabilities of the current mod cars and those few guys are so much faster than the rest of the field at any given event that the mod racing is not very close or very exciting to watch any more. Secondly, due to the speed of the cars, they have become so hungry for tires that only guys who can afford to consume a new set for each and every run or else those who have generous tire sponsorship deals can actually afford to run the class. So how to fix it? The key will be in finding a rules package that will rein in the speeds to a level that talented but less than superhuman drivers can actually handle and a speed that will not peel a fresh set of tires in a single run. The revised mod cars will still need to have enough power so that they will accelerate briskly off the corners and also provide a thrill going down the straightaway (two things that the current 17.5 cars just don't do). Personally, I think that the 6.5 blinky idea just might work even though cars of that speed are still probably going to require a fairly healthy tire budget. Thing is, even if the cars are slowed down somewhat, my guess is that what we perhaps won't need to spend on the latest and greatest batterys motors and speedos will probably be offset by what we do need to spend on using up more tires. Nobody ever said that competitive RC racing was going to be cheap......especially if one wants to run in the fastest class. Still.......I do like the sound of the 6.5 thing. Hopefully it catches on.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #105
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
YES. Strategy and race management are part of every form of racing except how RC has gone in the past 10+yrs. Even spec racing used to dump. I agree, mod needs to be slower but it doesn't need to be a faster version of 13.5 or 17.5 where you run some drag brake but essentially run wide open everywhere. The excitement of mod for me when I first started was not knowing who won till the last lap, last turn. Now, it's a snooze fest unless 2 guys actually have good cars and aren't blasted off the track. I get it, people don't want to dump but it was a fantastic equalizer in making races fun and exciting to watch and be a part of....
I know about dumping in stock, my nickname came from somewhere......

I will have my guy (who is way smarter than me) continue to investigate this avenue and see what is possible. Perhaps it will work, perhaps it won't, but we will never know unless we try.
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote