Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

6.5 blinky
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #77
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default 1/12 Mod update!! :)

Well Boys....

After many hours of meetings, phone calls, and sexting we have decided to run 6.5 Blinky for 1/12 Mod this year.

If you are interested in running this class along with Me, Hanulec, Radecky, Cyrul, Chicky, Hebert... Let us know! When you respond to your email please included 1/12 mod as one of your classes!

-Wayne
Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

sexting!! I wasn't included in that
Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
I would def be in for the 6.5 as well if it happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
Well Boys....

After many hours of meetings, phone calls, and sexting we have decided to run 6.5 Blinky for 1/12 Mod this year.

If you are interested in running this class along with Me, Hanulec, Radecky, Cyrul, Chicky, Hebert... Let us know! When you respond to your email please included 1/12 mod as one of your classes!

-Wayne
6.5 Blinky....wish that would have been announced before registration. well I was going to run 12th mod but I don't feel like playing motor wars, a 5.5 is slow enough that a better 5.5 would be an advantage, add blinky to the mix and a 6.5 and the one thing mod had going for it is gone. Nate please remove my name from 12th, and let me know if there are any surprises to TC mod.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Well Boys....

-Wayne
How could I resist a class with faces like that. Can we cuddle if our runs don't go well?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #81
Tech Master

Personally, not thrilled with running another spec class ala 6.5.... I'd much rather prefer blinky with open motor. Maybe one of these days someone will get a clue and realize the true problem is the capacity of the packs...

Since it is 6.5, what are motor rules? Spec rotors? Mod rotors allowed? Resistance #? Playing a bit of devil's advocate right now because this is very uncharted waters and someone is gonna be accused of cheating if they out HP the field....
Josh Cyrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Personally, not thrilled with running another spec class ala 6.5.... I'd much rather prefer blinky with open motor. Maybe one of these days someone will get a clue and realize the true problem is the capacity of the packs...

Since it is 6.5, what are motor rules? Spec rotors? Mod rotors allowed? Resistance #? Playing a bit of devil's advocate right now because this is very uncharted waters and someone is gonna be accused of cheating if they out HP the field....

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #83
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wayne, add me to 6.5 please
Old 08-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #84
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
I haven't posted on here for years, usually cause I'm napping, but this really woke me up. I love the idea of blinky mod. Whether 6.5 or open. For an old guy like me I know I can run one motor for quite awhile. As usual Josh is right! Back to cheating with 6.5 but still more appealling being blinky. Also, I know I am not capable of an a-main but I know if mod had more people I could have fun in a b or c main and stay out of Josh, Donny and Kevin's way. But then Mike Wise would have to deal with me and he wouldnt like that idea!!!!!
Rfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #85
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Key point to remember here folks, we are ultimately trying to maximize the best experience possible for the Halloween Classic.

We decided that we are not going to have a class with 7 guys this year and it was obvious that we were not going to come remotely close to 18 to make a class out of 12th Mod. With that being said, we truly are in uncharted waters when it comes to trying to run a class that the majority will be happy with running and could walk away at the end of the weekend with a newfound perspective and hopefully a smile. There was a discussion across the country that took place late last night and early this morning; the 6.5blinky is what morphed out of it and was deemed to stand the best chance of succeeding due to the amount of guys willing to run it.

I don't know if it is the right choice or not but we had to incur a change to give the class any shot of succeeding. Changing the batteries was not a feasible option that a lowly nonprofit club could even begin to tackle.

Please realize that a bunch of guys stepped up and said "let's try it" and are willing to give it a shot and I hope you do too. There's guys getting out of their comfort zones and stepping up into TC Open to make a class out of it, unfortunately the same drive wasn't there for 12th Open because it is just not appealing to most. The worst thing that can happen is it turns out that 6.5blinky sucks and you spent the cost of a few sets of tires on a motor that you can use in offroad, hopefully still sparking new ideas about the class. All I ask is that you keep an open mind and remember that this isn't a Nationals or Worlds, it's a bunch of guys who love the hobby getting together to have a blast.

Heck, we'll change the class name to something like 12th 6.5 blinky if that'll help differentiate enough from outsiders thinking we ran 12th Mod Open.
How we tackle the class and the motor is still in the works and we welcome input, please be patient.

Last edited by nwagner; 08-09-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: edited for the grammar nazi
nwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #86
Tech Rookie

I'm not in, but just wanted to help gain support for a blinky mod knowing that this race is watched by many. I need to exercise my throttle finger. Been awhile!
Rfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #87
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
6.5 Blinky....wish that would have been announced before registration. well I was going to run 12th mod but I don't feel like playing motor wars, a 5.5 is slow enough that a better 5.5 would be an advantage, add blinky to the mix and a 6.5 and the one thing mod had going for it is gone. Nate please remove my name from 12th, and let me know if there are any surprises to TC mod.
TC Mod currently stands a chance of being ran and if it doesn't we'll just cut it, refund money, and be left with 17.5 and 13.5.

Still waiting for about half the guys to send me their classes to info@norcarracing.com.

Last edited by nwagner; 08-09-2016 at 04:50 PM.
nwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #88
sg1
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post

I will 100% agree with the capacity of the packs, maybe a nice SMC spec 4000 pack woulda been a better solution.

But, we chose to go the motor and blinky route to test the waters.

The testing I've done so far looks like 3.5r per pole is a good average.
As for rotors, 12.3mm - 12.5mm - 13.0mm are all legal choices.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
I will 100% agree with the capacity of the packs, maybe a nice SMC spec 4000 pack woulda been a better solution.

I hope this is the shot in the arm that mod needs. Would hate to come to a race like this and see only a few guys running in such a great class. I wasn't racing back in the brushed days when mod was in its hay day. But, I looked back on the results at the Nats in 03'. The gap was only 3 laps between stock and mod. Now it's triple that. Speeds and battery capacity have become unmanageable for most IMO. Good job on taking a risk and trying to resurrect the mod class guys!!
Old 08-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #90
Team EAM

Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:

You run the risk of Lipo problems though if people dump them too hard. I know most speedos have a low voltage cut off but we all know there is one idiot out there who will disable it and dump a pack and possibly cause a fire or something along those lines.

Thats the main reason that one of the European organizations went to a 6.5 blinky race for Mod 12th as well instead of a smaller battery.

In the end it is always going to be a battery or motor war of some sort in every class.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote