Community
Wiki Posts
Search

droop screws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default droop screws?

i this is the second time ive picked up extra graphite suspension arms. the first time, the "over sized set screws" (thats what they look like) that came with them the guy at the shop said that they were just nothing. so i threw them away. are those droop screws. i havent tossed them . would they help for adjusting ride height. cuz they go right above the chassis. i think. please tell me what they are for and if i need them.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

It would help if you specified which car you are running, but yes, they are most likely droop screws. Droop screws work by threading through the arm and hitting on the chassis, they are not for adjusting ride height, but droop. Screw them down and you will get less droop, less will give you more droop. I suggest you pick up a droop guage if you don't already have one. You want to have the left and right sides of the car equal, but different settings on the front than the back will give you more tuning options.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

sorry. im running a tc3. just the racer version. with a few upgrades (lunsford titanium turnbuckles, alum. shock caps, unobtanium shocks shafts in the front, rpm front bumper, alum. cvd's, trinity front foam bumper, graphite front suspension arms). what exactly is droop. would it be how much the suspension arms went up. where can i get a droop gauge. ive never really learned anything about this.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Default Droop gauges

Can't the "Square" combo gauge that came with the car be used in someway to check droop?
If not, the easiest way is with a ride height gauge. Just put the gauge under the car futher than ride height until the tires just leave the set-up surface. The different between this and ride height is the droop. Then use the "droop screws" to adjust.
Many PRO racers suggest this method of checking/setting droop.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you're new to the whole aspect of droop do as the shop guy said and don't use them- atleast untill you've had time to do more research on the subject. Those that don't understand what or how they work are best advised to not use them as they can create a lot of havoc with your tweak and weight shifting when not set correctly.
If you check out the TC3 thread there are a lot of folks that can steer you straight on that subject since different cars seem to react to different philosophies.
Best
Old 11-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

I believe if you have the racer chassis you cannot adjust droop, and it does not have the downstops. You may want to post on the TC3 thread if you need any help in the future.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 09:33 PM
Tech Rookie

i use the droop screw arms on racer style chassis and they work just fine. associated makes a droop guage for just 2 bucks.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default droop screws

Racerdx6,

There is a new hobbyshop with a carpet track in the greater seattle area re-opening in a few days in Lynnwood. (Raincity Raceway) They can answer all your questions on what these droop screws do and whether or not you should use them.

If you are new to the sport your attention could maybe be put to better use on other settings for the time being. But either way the Raincity folks can explain and give some advise. Many seasoned club guys to new people just getting started.

Steve
Old 11-14-2002, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

SWEET! ! i thought that place closed down. did they find a new place. oh wait. one problem. i dont have foam tires. would they sell them. and one question about my chassis. im afraid i might of f#%ked it up . when i had it converted as a rally car (same time i knew diddly squat about the car and if certain things might be bad for it). i tried to file the little ridge on the chassis down thats right below the suspension arms. might it be tweaked now or might it of gotten tweaked when it was a rally car. it gave me a few extra mm's of ground clearance which is what i really needed at the time. do i need a new chassis. if so, which is a good chassis. i know there are a bunch of really nice graphite ones, for 150 bucks and hardcore makes a titanium chassis. i think that might be too heavy. anyone got any complaints with it? is the graphite associated chassis any good. or should i get the really nice one. that looks f$#king awsome . i love chassis's with out a tub, or semi-tub.

Last edited by racerdx6; 11-14-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

for a 12 year old kid you sure do have a bad mouth. also the associated chasiss will work just fine
Old 11-15-2002, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

im sorry. i wont anymore. i was in a bad mood.