Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive? >

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMB Personal Transponders...Too Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe in the US, in the UK KO is not cheap, along with the rest of r/c stuff, you really need to be having words with the manufacturer asking them to justify the cost and then post what they say.

You never know till you ask, my advice, is ask for discount wher ever you can, you wouldnt buy a brand new car without asking for money off so why buy r/c stuff without asking ?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Old Man
It has nothing to do with the currancy conversion it's just a way to make more money.
When they were introduced they were around $55.00 as a special deal. Then they went to about $75.00+. If I remember correctly, these are made in Holland and the dollar has gone down in the last few years against the euro, and yes the decrease in the dollar could easily bring the cost up along with inflation. So now they are about $95 to $100 each. Anyway this is a one time cost, it's not like you have to buy a PT once or twice a year. If you want to worry about costs, how about all the stuff you have to buy just to stay competitive. It is just a part of the hobby, the PT is just like any tool you buy for yourself, you buy it once and hope it doesn't break.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pops
When they were introduced they were around $55.00 as a special deal. Then they went to about $75.00+. If I remember correctly, these are made in Holland and the dollar has gone down in the last few years against the euro, and yes the decrease in the dollar could easily bring the cost up along with inflation. So now they are about $95 to $100 each. Anyway this is a one time cost, it's not like you have to buy a PT once or twice a year. If you want to worry about costs, how about all the stuff you have to buy just to stay competitive. It is just a part of the hobby, the PT is just like any tool you buy for yourself, you buy it once and hope it doesn't break.
It's true that we are a small segment of AMB's business, we are merely a drop in the pond to them. An R/C electronics manufacturer could re-invent the wheel so to speak, if they came up with a system that worked with current scoring softwares, and was less expensive than AMB's pricing. I know of a system marketed for mini-z's that has transponders which our LHS sells for around $40, it's not perfect, but it works as well as personals did at the same stage in their development, from what I've experienced, and I've been involved in the running of a major event or two. There could be alternatives, but they would require expertise, capital, inititive and innovation, a few of these things the industry seems a bit short on right now.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

I have no problem with KO pricing. Most of there stuff is cheaper and better than the other companys.
I am not picking on any one. You email AMB let me know if you get a reply? I didn't!
I spend more on tires than I will ever spend on a Pt but my point here is AMB raised the price 4 times in the last 4 years. No one else has a transponder that will work with their system. So they have a monoply! Isn't that illegal?
This is just something that bugs me!!!
We keep trying, or so we say, to further the sport. It is very tuff to further the sport when the cost keeps sky rocketing out of controll.
How much do we pay for a turing car these days?
How bout a 12th scale?
Batterys and motors have not increased in a long time, which is good!
Now with LiPo and brushless the inital cost has gone up but the long term has gone down!
The whole reason this thread was started was to maybe get AMB's attention.
Or to maybe find and alterinitive to the over priced Personall AMB produces.
You are all turing this into a war between companys and that is not the reason I posted here.

As a matter of fact I am looking to purchase 3 AMB PTs right now.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Arguments like this always amused me. It's kinda like buying an F-350 Truck with a V10 motor and 4:10 gears in the rear and complaining that it only gets 8 miles to the gallon when towing a 15,000 pound trailer.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by koabich
Arguments like this always amused me. It's kinda like buying an F-350 Truck with a V10 motor and 4:10 gears in the rear and complaining that it only gets 8 miles to the gallon when towing a 15,000 pound trailer.
No not really
Old 12-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Some people get lucky with purchasing them once and then they are set...Unfortunately my PT suck, it misses laps and I'm sure to have it serviced (even though it's pretty much new) isn't worth it.
I bet you it's not the transponder but your speedo that's in fault. I had mised laps with my G10 until I put a 1000 microfarad and a 1 picofarad plugged in parallel on the BEC plus of my receiver (the PT is plugged on the 3rd channel). No more missed laps after that.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No one else has a transponder that will work with their system. So they have a monoply! Isn't that illegal?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

I own one AMB personal transponder. I payed 85 for it when they were at that price. I dont care what the reason is...they are too expensive. I wont be buying another till/IF...the prices come down again. I hope they do..Im really happy with the one I purchased.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have no problem with KO pricing. Most of there stuff is cheaper and better than the other companys.
I am not picking on any one. You email AMB let me know if you get a reply? I didn't!
I spend more on tires than I will ever spend on a Pt but my point here is AMB raised the price 4 times in the last 4 years. No one else has a transponder that will work with their system. So they have a monoply! Isn't that illegal?
This is just something that bugs me!!!
We keep trying, or so we say, to further the sport. It is very tuff to further the sport when the cost keeps sky rocketing out of controll.
How much do we pay for a turing car these days?
How bout a 12th scale?
Batterys and motors have not increased in a long time, which is good!
Now with LiPo and brushless the inital cost has gone up but the long term has gone down!
The whole reason this thread was started was to maybe get AMB's attention.
Or to maybe find and alterinitive to the over priced Personall AMB produces.
You are all turing this into a war between companys and that is not the reason I posted here.

As a matter of fact I am looking to purchase 3 AMB PTs right now.
It's not a real monopoly as other companies have the ability to enter into the Transponder/Scoring market, they just choose not to.

As with all technology it seams that with RC the price goes up not down. I think we are just lucky the ESCs aren't over $200. Batteries and motors have stayed level for the most part even when new products come out. Top level 12th scales have pretty much stayed the same. Touring cars have gone up a ton from when the first "pro" level cars came out.

Unfortunately the cost of the PT is just an added cost of racing. Look at it this way if you race 30 times a year with 3 qualifiers and a main (5 mins each)each time, that's 600 mins of racing. That translates to $0.15 per minute of usage for the transponder or roughly $3 a race in transponder usage. Look at how long your tires, motor, bodies, batteries last and the cost of the PT is very minimal in a racing budge.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

The miniaturization and personalization of transponders is one of the best (DSM, and Brushless in there too) advancements to rc in many years. I'ts well worth the 70-100 to not have to go through the hassle of house trasponders. I'ts better for the racers and tracks as they can save HUGE amounts of time and effort not dealing with house sponders. Anyone who races more then 7 times a year should be required to buy a transponder.

My amb(s) have never let me down, and they were worth every penny. my 2 cents.
T
He monopoly aspect does suck, but i'ts better then dealing with 2 or more incompatable systems.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default HMMMMM

Another Ankle Grabbing thread,

No one questions AMB's right to make a profit or to charge whatever they want for their product. I would be surprised if the manufacturing price of the PT is over $5. I totally support free market capitalism but not price gouging which ultimately hurts the whole sport. In fact they would most likely make a larger net profit at $35 than $85 simply because of greatly increased sales and we could put an end to the "make sure you return your transponder crap" forever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I have found strange from day one here is the way in which most people on this forum defend and make excuses for manufactures and retailers.

If you complain about how fragile the suspension is on a TC, the response seems to be its your fault for not being a better driver. If you suggest maybe tracks put some kind of energy absorbing material at key places to protect cars, you hear about how tracks need to sell replacement parts.

I personally think the RC Industry is not particularly consumer friendly in general or supportive of the individual who wants to race their RC.

What the industry passes off as improvements,( 3800mah batteries) in reality improves nothing. How is going from you and all your race competition using 3300s to usinf 3800s an improvement. You are no faster relative to your competition and you are all out major money.

Where are the improvements in reliability and sturdiness? Where are the improvements in ease of maintenance? Where are the entry level race products, programs and support to bring new people into the sport?

If anything the ratio of time spent in the pit screwing with the car vs. time spent on the track racing, as well as the learning curve is getting worse rather than better.
$85 for a $5 worth of electronics is just the most egregious example of the industry's attitude toward the consumer.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:41 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I will say are local shop sells the AMB personals but hell as much as they cost the shop it isn't worth selling them as they almost no money. Are shop sells them and makes less than 5 bucks on them. 5 bucks on a 100 dollar item purely sucks for the shop. If companies can make pirtable DVD players for 79 bucks then you can't tell me the AMB personal costs even 1/2. The only one making money off the is AMB because for the shop it is worthless.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by imjonah
Another Ankle Grabbing thread,

No one questions AMB's right to make a profit or to charge whatever they want for their product. I would be surprised if the manufacturing price of the PT is over $5. I totally support free market capitalism but not price gouging which ultimately hurts the whole sport. In fact they would most likely make a larger net profit at $35 than $85 simply because of greatly increased sales and we could put an end to the "make sure you return your transponder crap" forever.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I have found strange from day one here is the way in which most people on this forum defend and make excuses for manufactures and retailers.

If you complain about how fragile the suspension is on a TC, the response seems to be its your fault for not being a better driver. If you suggest maybe tracks put some kind of energy absorbing material at key places to protect cars, you hear about how tracks need to sell replacement parts.

I personally think the RC Industry is not particularly consumer friendly in general or supportive of the individual who wants to race their RC.

What the industry passes off as improvements,( 3800mah batteries) in reality improves nothing. How is going from you and all your race competition using 3300s to usinf 3800s an improvement. You are no faster relative to your competition and you are all out major money.

Where are the improvements in reliability and sturdiness? Where are the improvements in ease of maintenance? Where are the entry level race products, programs and support to bring new people into the sport?

If anything the ratio of time spent in the pit screwing with the car vs. time spent on the track racing, as well as the learning curve is getting worse rather than better.
$85 for a $5 worth of electronics is just the most egregious example of the industry's attitude toward the consumer.
Couldn't have said it better!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wyd
I will say are local shop sells the AMB personals but hell as much as they cost the shop it isn't worth selling them as they almost no money. Are shop sells them and makes less than 5 bucks on them. 5 bucks on a 100 dollar item purely sucks for the shop. If companies can make pirtable DVD players for 79 bucks then you can't tell me the AMB personal costs even 1/2. The only one making money off the is AMB because for the shop it is worthless.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMB should cut its cost to the hobbyshops and they would still be able to cut cost to the consumer and make more money!! (hope you all understood that)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.