R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #31
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by koabich
I am kinda at a lose here. You currently have the best charger that money can buy and you want to buy an inferior charger?

The IB3800's are not as you say "tempermental." Like all NiMH cells, they have certain requirements that must be followed for maximum performance and cell life but I would hardley say they are tempermental. They are actually very easy to maintain.

If you follow the charging specs listed on the SMC website, you'll be fine. You will find that with the GFX and the correct peak detect, you will never need to monitor the temp of the pack as they will peak at the same temp all the time (both my GFX peak my IB3800's with a 5 degree variance 100% of the time that includes under varios room temperature extremes).

Honestly, I would not buy a charger RIGHT NOW that can charge Lipo batteries unless you plan on running Lipo batteries RIGHT NOW. If you buy a charger now that can charge the batteries that you do not plan on running UNTIL several years from now, you will be wasting your money. In several years the technology will be better and better chargers will be on the market. Since Lipo is still in it's infantsy, you are better off waiting. Plus how long will it take for Lipo to catch on...months...years...maybe never...who knows?

Honestly, has there ever been any scientific evidence that proved that step charging was superior to linear charging? There were a lot of guys at my track that ran out and bought step chargers only to come back to their Competition Electronic chargers.

I've seen guys here post test results but once again, I've never seen any evidence on the track? In a hobby where the newest and best rules, everyone would have step chargers if they truely performed better. Hell, the Much More unit is smaller and cheaper than the GFX...if it really did a better job more would be using them IMO. I have never used a step charger so I am not saying this from personal experience but rather making this statement from the stuff I have read and from those racers who I race with that have tried it.

I would really like to hear if any of the battery matchers have layed with step charging technology?

Kudos Koa...just about the smartest thing I've read here in the last month.
"You don't get hurt racing little cars..."

Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote