R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2007, 05:22 AM   #1216
Tech Elite
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,250
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default Looking for advice from Drift experts

Like the title says!

I've got an HPI Pro2 that I tried drifting at our carpet track with some other guys. My problem is that the car does not want to recover from a drift (meaning bring the rear end back behind the front). I let two other guys who had the current HPI drifter drive my car and they both said the same thing. I watch them drive and they can easily bring the rear back with their cars but not with mine.

So my question is: what kind of suspension or tuning changes do you make to get better control of the rear?

I'm using the black ABS pipe for my drift tires, if that makes a difference.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 AM   #1217
Tech Rookie
 
PURE_DRIFTING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: house
Posts: 1
Default hayuffff!!!

jst wana comment on the poser thing... lets jst drift and c hus d poser...
PURE_DRIFTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #1218
Tech Fanatic
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 817
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Like the title says!

I've got an HPI Pro2 that I tried drifting at our carpet track with some other guys. My problem is that the car does not want to recover from a drift (meaning bring the rear end back behind the front). I let two other guys who had the current HPI drifter drive my car and they both said the same thing. I watch them drive and they can easily bring the rear back with their cars but not with mine.

So my question is: what kind of suspension or tuning changes do you make to get better control of the rear?

I'm using the black ABS pipe for my drift tires, if that makes a difference.
Tighten your front diffs.

Check out this tutorial on setups for more info: http://www.drccentral.com/old/rc-drift-setup.html
__________________
Point1Drift
http://www.driftercentral.com
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #1219
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,425
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kang45 View Post
Does the HPI D Box work? I skimmed the thread and could not tell? Any recommened tweeks? I have converted my tc3 to a drifter.
dont waste ur money on an hpi dbox...i used to run a tc3, and @ rcdriftclub's drift series, i placed 3rd in Advanced class. well its not just the car its also the driver (mainly driver )

usually...people who ask me about drifting and already have a TC3, i usually tell them to get a spool(for the rear), get some hpi type-t tires. adjust their camber -2 in the front. -1 in the back.(i ran more..but i suggest -2 and-1 to beginners) about 1 degree of toe in in the rear. run soft springs (i ran silvers up front, golds in the back) and run 30wt oil for the shocks. adjust the front diff to the liking(ball diff), and its pretty much a dialed setup (for me atleast..) and what i ran was a universal tire setup. which means i used yokomo single rings, yokomo double rings, hpi type Ts, hpi type As, RPDs, and other tires. no abs (iono why.just dont like it)
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #1220
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 947
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

yea when my TA05 was my main drifter (now switched to an RS4 rally) I had my rear diff semi tight and my front diff just a hair tighter. I also ran 30wt all around.

Three hole pistons with soft springs and two hole pistons and hard springs in the back. It didn't really matter what tire I threw on because the thing was so dialed in it just felt like butter.

oh and I threw in Lipos for my pack. Tons of punch even with a 19T motor.
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #1221
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,425
Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H
Default



Click the image above for all the details..(please register if you have not already!)

no im not twinkays. lol

Last edited by Valentin.H; 12-07-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #1222
Tech Elite
 
shawn17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 4,143
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn17
Default

WOW, if you love drifting and you love girls this thread is heaven
__________________
"Follow your dreams, don't make your dreams follow you"
shawn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #1223
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 134
Default

what is the best chassis for drifting, can anyone input thanks
fred71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:50 AM   #1224
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

There are drift specific kits available from Yokomo and Tamiya but any 4wd chassis will work with a good set of drift tyres.
__________________
Casterracing ZX1.5R
casterracing EX-1 Pro, SP Silver Arrow
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 17.5, SP GT Pro 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 AM   #1225
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 129
Default

those girls are pretty nasty actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn17 View Post
WOW, if you love drifting and you love girls this thread is heaven
slomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #1226
Tech Apprentice
 
lesterrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 98
Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred71 View Post
what is the best chassis for drifting, can anyone input thanks
seen all sorts of high-end touring car kit being converted to drift machines.

guess it depends on how you set the car up. all kits are equally good if you can/know how to drift.

i might be wrong, but that's just my 2cents worth
lesterrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #1227
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,312
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Guys, I've decided to give drifting a try. After watching a few youtube movies it looks really fun. I remember the day when TC bodies used to look like real cars, glad to see them come back! My current ride is a Losi JRXS-R, and from what I understand I need to run a locked rear diff, front ball, or oneway diff. Stiffen the rear springs, and softer fronts. What about sway bars? How much stiffer should I make the rear spring? 17lb? 20lb? more? right now its 12lb rear, 15lb front for normal TC of course. How about gearing the car. Right now it has a novak 13.5, but is the goal to try to get max RPM, or torque to keep the wheels on the bus going around? Any general set-up info that I'm forgetting would be appreciated.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #1228
Tech Fanatic
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 817
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro View Post
Guys, I've decided to give drifting a try. After watching a few youtube movies it looks really fun. I remember the day when TC bodies used to look like real cars, glad to see them come back! My current ride is a Losi JRXS-R, and from what I understand I need to run a locked rear diff, front ball, or oneway diff. Stiffen the rear springs, and softer fronts. What about sway bars? How much stiffer should I make the rear spring? 17lb? 20lb? more? right now its 12lb rear, 15lb front for normal TC of course. How about gearing the car. Right now it has a novak 13.5, but is the goal to try to get max RPM, or torque to keep the wheels on the bus going around? Any general set-up info that I'm forgetting would be appreciated.

Put those 15 lb springs in the rear and the 12 lb ones in the front. Still, those springs are too stiff but you'll get it drifting. If you can, get some Yokomo Titanium springs which come in soft, medium and hard but all are probably less than 10 lbs.

If you don't want to buy a spool, you really don't have to. Just tighten your diffs and have the front 1/8 - 1/4 looser than the rear. That's usually a good starting point.
__________________
Point1Drift
http://www.driftercentral.com
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #1229
Tech Fanatic
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 817
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
There are drift specific kits available from Yokomo and Tamiya but any 4wd chassis will work with a good set of drift tyres.
Don't forget HPI with their Sprint2 kits and the E10 which is an entry level kit.
__________________
Point1Drift
http://www.driftercentral.com
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #1230
Tech Fanatic
 
Aries326's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 817
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guru View Post
dont waste ur money on an hpi dbox...i used to run a tc3, and @ rcdriftclub's drift series, i placed 3rd in Advanced class. well its not just the car its also the driver (mainly driver )

usually...people who ask me about drifting and already have a TC3, i usually tell them to get a spool(for the rear), get some hpi type-t tires. adjust their camber -2 in the front. -1 in the back.(i ran more..but i suggest -2 and-1 to beginners) about 1 degree of toe in in the rear. run soft springs (i ran silvers up front, golds in the back) and run 30wt oil for the shocks. adjust the front diff to the liking(ball diff), and its pretty much a dialed setup (for me atleast..) and what i ran was a universal tire setup. which means i used yokomo single rings, yokomo double rings, hpi type Ts, hpi type As, RPDs, and other tires. no abs (iono why.just dont like it)
The TC3 made for a good drifter. Its weight actually allowed it to carry further on long sweeping drifts. I miss mine.

I went further with softening my suspension by going withg Yokomo titanium softs and Yokomo titanium Mediums in the rear.

I used to run ABS but now after discovering other tires, I've totally dropped them (except for on carpet) I use T drifts but I'd love to get my hands on some RPDs and give those a spin.
__________________
Point1Drift
http://www.driftercentral.com
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sg Official Drift Thread!!! AndrewJCH Singapore R/C Racers 188 08-05-2011 09:02 AM
Official Drift Thread Ginsu Electric On-Road 8 10-23-2007 02:36 AM
official drift thread streetracer745 Electric On-Road 3 10-24-2006 09:07 PM
The Official Drift Thread anthony390 Nitro On-Road 0 12-25-2005 10:46 PM
The Official xxx-nt thread rushdude Electric Off-Road 1 09-24-2003 03:09 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:32 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net