Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zeagle
Any one drifts with a ta-05? Does it react better to throttle changes compared to a yokomo SD?
I drift with TA05 but i'd say better reaction of throttle changes is a whole package thingy.. car's setup, motor & batts, tires & surface & driver's skill.
I tried both and for me i feel TA05 reacts better.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bunsincunsin
GT02,

I think it may be used in arch. models, but I also know it is used a lot in model train building, as well as model cars.
thanks for the info! That stuff is what i need...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default Yo

Chassis doesn't make much of a difference for throttle response when drifting. What will is the drive method. Shaft is a fair bit more responsive for drift (which is why I prefer drifting my evo IV over my 415). So all belt drives will be about the same and all shaft drives will be about the same.

Where the chassis makes a big difference is handling. A softer chassis like the stock ta05 will tend to grab a bit more while turning (especially on carpet) as the chassis flexes more. This can result in less consistent drifts but can be countered with stiffer suspension and better rounding of the abs edges (a sharp edge on abs drift tires will really grab the track and can spin you out).
Old 01-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use the TA05 to drift. Can't say much for comparison because it's been the only car I've tried to drift, save for my old ta03. I think the car handles great, just need more practice holding drifts, especially coming into corners fast.

Pics of my new shell attached. Nothing special, just took my time on this one.

How do you guys like the HPI superdrift tires? I have the tamiya ones and they work alright on asphalt.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails The Drift Thread-img_4482.jpg  
Old 01-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

what sort of asphalt was suitable for the tamiya drift tires you used?
Nice shell btw.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It was newly paved asphalyt. Black top, just like a new road.

The tamiya tires are nice that they hold decent traction when going straight, but they break loose when you give them brake/throttle.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys is it possible to drift with an 8 single? i just wanna show a mate up who swears drifting is harder than touring racing (i wanna show skills are simmilar in both and he should try racing seen i tried drifting )
i run abs wheels and if it matters its a schumacher mi2ec.
cheers guys

btw i have watched the japanese rc drift movies and yes that takes insane amount of skill and i respect drifting but this guy has been driving for less time than me and reckons he is way better. cheers
Old 01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

yeah you can drift with an 8 turn. i did with a 17 before now and wit ha neo-one now. all it take is practice and tires. any type will work. abs, hpi, tamiya, yokomo.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Yup. Any motor will work (I've got a custom made dual motor tamiya m03 that uses silver cans). Higher power is generally better though, especially if you're using hpi/tam/other rubber drift tires as they take more power to break loose. An 8 turn is plenty though.

As for your friend...well, drifting make use of the same coordination skills as racing, but being good in one is very different than being good in the other. Some people have no problems doing both but others just never seem to get it. The difference really comes down to reaction timing I think. When racing (esp 1/10th scale mod or 1/12th scale pan cars ) you need to react to changes instantly and you expect your car to do what you're telling it to at any moment. With drift it's more about anticipating changes. Things tend to happen, I hestitate to say slowly cuz it's not, in a more drawn out way. You start turning now in order to make a corner that's 5 seconds ahead of you.

They main key to both is the same though...throttle control!
Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

any idea on a gear ratio?
cheers
Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

i use the same gear ratio i race with and a spool in the rear. gets around fine.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:54 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

drifting with low wind motors such as my 7x1 checkpoint is great fun u can drift for a bit then when the nitro guys show up you can stick the on roads on and smoke em also u when the rice boys show up you can smoke them to i love doin that
Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

yeah thats why i love my neo-one 4 star. it will drift great, then "competition" shows up and i can blow them away
Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

yea, ive always been tempted by the novak 3.5R
Old 01-22-2007, 03:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys, im new to this forum, been in rc for around 4 years now, and Ive got my ta05 strictly for drifting, just wondering if any of you guys use yours as drifters? Yesterday a bunch of hop-ups of mine arrived, and im just wondering what you guys think, its a preatty long list, but i got a great price for them, and went for it. Ive just gotta get a new diff bolt, and nut so i can lock my rear diff, and close it up. Once i finish up the build, i wanna know whether you can post pics on these forums, ive never been on a forum where you couldnt, but dont know how to on this one?

List of hop-ups:
3Racing
Carbon fiber bumper stiffener
Carbon fiber front shock tower
Carbon fiber rear shock tower
Carbon fiber front chassis stiffener
Carbon fiber rear chassis stiffener
Blue Alum. Steering block
Blue Alum. 2 deg rear hub carrier
Blue Alum. Threaded Front and rear shocks
Yeah Racing:
Blue Alum. front C-Hub
Blue Alum. Battery strap
Tamiya sway bar front and rear sway bar set
Topcad Blue Alum. Motor mount
And all the spacers needed for the new chassis stiffeners, the caps and collars on the threaded shocks, and the ball ends im using also happen to be blue alum. ive preatty much got the car finish, and ive gott say it looks awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.