Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #886
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Some Pics from Walt's Hobby Shop

Old 10-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #887
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

added a few more clips from out local drift race.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #888
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Baker18

thoes are some sweet pics
Baker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #889
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Anyone used their Pro4 or Evo IV to drift with ABS, yet? I noticed Paz has a Evo IVMS. I'm still stuck on my TL01 because I can't seem to get my Evo or Pro4 to drift as good on ABS. The problem is the car won't transition (keeps pushing) on-power from midturn to exit turn. I also noticed it doesn't acccelerate as quick as my TL01. Other guys over here just end up putting the spool in the rear diff and they seem to be drifting fine with the rest of their stock suspension settings.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #890
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have comments about using CA soaked foams on carpet as per the latest RC rag I picked up.
CaliberX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #891
PaZ
Tech Master

Well i dont actually use the Evo 4ms for drifting too preety for that i mainly use my Hopped up TC3 blue is better i totally agree with your statement about them not drifting as well the TC3 drifts like anything on abs but the evo wont dunno y
CT Race Bodies
PaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #892
Tech Adept

wrxnfx How do you have the car setup? My evo seemed to work for Serandin when he ran it at the DTP race in drift on abs (video link in this thread a waysback). The setup he was running was a 27t carpet rubber set up with some changes for drift, like 2 degree castor.

It should accelerate as fast as a tt01, at least on rubbers - is your gearing the same?
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #893
Tech Addict

Thanks for the replies. Currently, I have the David Jun Rear Pro Module on mine with the everything the same as David Jun's Pro Module setup sheet except instead of the spool in front, I have the one-way to use like an e-brake. With rubber drift tires, the car drifts fine. For grip racing, this setup is awesome. However, when I use ABS, it does not accelerate or transition in turns (keeps sliding in the direction that I initially turned) as quick as my TL01. I had a Novak 5.5R brushless running a 98T spur & 19T pinion, but I have switched to a Mamba Max 5700. Either way, the result is the same. I'm sure it has something to do with the suspension settings. My TA03R does almost the same thing as my Evo IV. The funny thing is no matter how drastic the change (super soft setup or really stiff setup) I make to my TL01, it still drifts better than my Evo IV or TL01 or Pro4. My TL01 has a Novak SS5800 w/ SS upgrade kit with the stock spur & 21T pinion. I also tried drifting with the stock silver can in my TL01 and it's so much more responsive with the ABS wheels. I'm not sure what the deal is?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #894
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

wrxnfx: Did you try tightening your diffs? Tighten the rear and fronts and have the fronts slightly looser than the rears. Around 1/8 turns looser. I use that as a standard for ball diffs.

If you have a front one-way, use it with a tight ball diff in rear. That might help you out. Remember for suspension, the stiffer spring is in the rear - opposite that of racing.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #895
Tech Regular

pro 4 is kinda hard to setup to drift ill say from expierence you might want to find some softer springs maybe and change shock oils and pistons. and my pro 4 drifts fine so maybe just driving issues. could honestly be everything
C_Suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #896
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well, you could check your droop. That's one of the main factors for weight transfer. Take the rear droop screws out, that should allow a BUNCH of weight to the front for steering.

The TC3 I use for drifting doesnt have any droop screws front or rear.
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #897
Tech Addict

In the past, I tried experimenting with suspension settings on my Pro4. I was able to get it to drift better with some lighter oil, softer springs, & a tightened rear diff, but it still couldn't keep up with the TL01's. That's the reason as soon as I stopped rallying with my TL01, I changed it into a drifter. It really seems like a traction issue with my Pro4, Evo IV, & TA03R. I'm beginning to wonder if these cars would just have to be dedicated drift cars if I want to use them for drifting as the setup would be drastically different from grip racing. It's really starting to sound like it.

As for droop, I did start thinking about the droop setting as possibly playing a factor along with some additional camber. I'm running 2 degrees of camber right now and one of my friends suggested going with 3 degrees.

Thanks for all you input! It's really starting to make me realize what it will have to take to get these cars to drift well with ABS. I think I'm going to have to stick to my TL01 for now.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #898
Tech Addict

In the past, I tried experimenting with suspension settings on my Pro4. I was able to get it to drift better with some lighter oil, softer springs, & a tightened rear diff, but it still couldn't keep up with the TL01's. That's the reason as soon as I stopped rallying with my TL01, I changed it into a drifter. It really seems like a traction issue with my Pro4, Evo IV, & TA03R. I'm beginning to wonder if these cars would just have to be dedicated drift cars if I want to use them for drifting as the setup would be drastically different from grip racing. It's really starting to sound like it.

As for droop, I did start thinking about the droop setting as possibly playing a factor along with some additional camber. I'm running 2 degrees of camber right now and one of my friends suggested going with 3 degrees.

Thanks for all you input! It's really starting to make me realize what it will have to take to get these cars to drift well with ABS. I think I'm going to have to stick to my TL01 for now. I was trying to get rid of it, but it drifts too well and can grip race well without changing any of my suspension setup.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #899
Tech Adept

Just a thought - you might want to try the regular rear suspension if you have it. I recall reading that the DJ suspension has more grip and it might do other slightly odd things too.
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #900
Tech Adept

Default Evo IV

Well, of all the cars I've drifted I've found the Evo IV to be the best so far. I find that plastic chassis cars flex too much, especially on carpet. Not really sure how I had it setup except that is was similar to my asphalt rubber setup. It will possibly take a bit more throttle control than a ta or tl, but will allow for much longer, smoother drifts. I seem to remember medium springs and oil being best. You don't want transitions to be too slow, but you need to avoid having the abs dig in when turning (a big problem with the plastic chassis as they flex and then the abs digs in).