R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #811
Tech Initiate

hi! newbie to the forum but ive been drifting for awhile with my "SUPER STOCK" TL01 (still even has plastic bushings and MSC!!!) ....
what kind of stuff do i fill the diff that doesnt cause permanent damage to the diffs? im now into drifting but sometimes i like to run my 01(not drift) (or maybe offroad).... and also, does locking really help cause ive been able to drift without locking the diffs. does the car respond better to throttle and steering if u lock the diff while going sideways?
Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #812
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel
. and also, does locking really help cause ive been able to drift without locking the diffs. does the car respond better to throttle and steering if u lock the diff while going sideways?
In my experience , the looser the diff the more the wheels grab for traction. In other words a loose (as opposed to tight, not slipping) diff regains traction easier. Since in drifting you don't want to regain traction and end your drift having the diffs tighter helps.

Completely locking either diff isn't needed, but a locked front can make steering and breaking feel more consistent.
ljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:04 PM   #813
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohnson
Completely locking either diff isn't needed, but a locked front can make steering and breaking feel more consistent.
Just to be clear - this is on a TA04 on abs which has too much castor (6 degrees?), kick up, anti squat and roughly 40:60 front:rear weight distribution. The spool helps because it minimizes the steering inconsistency from the castor.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #814
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK so my racing days with my Pro4 are over.
I want to try turning it into a drifter.
Anybody have a setup sheet for a Pro4 for Drifting?
I have a ton of parts for the car so I'm pretty sure I have everything I would ever need.
I just need to know what the norm is for drifting. (Spool, One way, Diffs, damper setup etc..)
Some info or a starting setup sheet would help.
I tried to search for "Pro 4 Setup" but got nothing.
Thanks.
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #815
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to anthony390

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydo
OK so my racing days with my Pro4 are over.
I want to try turning it into a drifter.
Anybody have a setup sheet for a Pro4 for Drifting?
I have a ton of parts for the car so I'm pretty sure I have everything I would ever need.
I just need to know what the norm is for drifting. (Spool, One way, Diffs, damper setup etc..)
Some info or a starting setup sheet would help.
I tried to search for "Pro 4 Setup" but got nothing.
Thanks.
someone on board this site with a name of angryasian should be able to answer this for you

he should just be lurking around here
anthony390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #816
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
In my experience , the looser the diff the more the wheels grab for traction. In other words a loose (as opposed to tight, not slipping) diff regains traction easier. Since in drifting you don't want to regain traction and end your drift having the diffs tighter helps.

may i say your not 100% true on that quote

you have to remember that we are just drifting with 1/10 scale cars on abs...the traction is already loose enough so not to worry about regaining full traction as long as you have the nessesary power and touqe... unless your talking about carpet that has some remains making it a bit grippy that is

and a looser differential just doesnt mean more traction but the power is just wasted on a wheel that is on the "less reseistant side" rather than a tighter diff that wont slip as much and the power would be used on tires slipping on the track...im not sure if that made sense but im sure youll understand it sooner or later
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 AM   #817
Tech Regular

Does anyone know the proper gearing for the TT-01 and TA-04? I tried out my new drift tires with my 04 on friday and it sounded like the stock gearing is too low.
MK_Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:04 PM   #818
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi y'all...got a quick question. Before that though, I've been drifting my TA04R for several weeks now. I have a Reedy19Turn motor geared at 128T/34T with a 6000lipo pack running ABS tires at 0deg camber all around.
Springs are tamiya yellow F/R and sways yellow F/R...stock shock positions. I can do some rather nice drifts at low speeds and hold the angles, do continous circles and what not. Problem I encounter is at high speed. I slowly build up to high speed and go full lock left with intent of getting the tail out with throttle but the car just keeps going straight even though the wheels are turned all the way...that is until it slows way down then it'll do it. So the question. How/what do I do to my suspension to get that tail out at high speeds so I can drift correctly? Is my gearing okay for the motor?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #819
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thought I might try to revive this thread and post my new body I did this weekend.

ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #820
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l
Thought I might try to revive this thread and post my new body I did this weekend.

looks good

just wondering if that would be the hpi silvia?

but might wanna try a different set of rms to set the taste of drifting
Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #821
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony390
may i say your not 100% true on that quote
Yes, but neither of us is - we both sacrifice accuracy for brevity. If he'd wanted a long explanation he'd have read the whole thread and found the previous discussion. And you hadn't answered it yet..
Old 08-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #822
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma
Problem I encounter is at high speed. I slowly build up to high speed and go full lock left with intent of getting the tail out with throttle but the car just keeps going straight even though the wheels are turned all the way...that is until it slows way down then it'll do it. So the question. How/what do I do to my suspension to get that tail out at high speeds so I can drift correctly?
You should have enough steering with that setup to break loose. I ran blue springs and no sway bar in the front, yellow springs and sway bar in the rear.

Try tapping the break as you turn. Throttle something like - on, break, full, control for drift. The timing of the steering and throttle changes will take some practice. Also, with that car, you may get more steering before full lock that at full lock.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:39 AM   #823
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

im back, i was grounded for a bit.

and PAZ that is crazy that oval racer, but what it really needs is that new mamba system, that would be awesome.

heck throw some rubber drift tires on it. that would be

it would be..

PAZ-TASTIC!!!

thats my new term for a over the top r/c car.
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #824
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, but neither of us is - we both sacrifice accuracy for brevity. If he'd wanted a long explanation he'd have read the whole thread and found the previous discussion. And you hadn't answered it yet..
i wasnt trying to correct your answer, but your explaination

haha wlecome back thedudeaturdoor
Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #825
PaZ
Tech Master

haha i like i like, mamba system naaa im saving up for a novak 3.5R i need to make some new drift tyres before i go out i killed the yoko's oh thats another thing i managed to kill
CT Race Bodies
PaZ is offline   Reply With Quote