Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Which light kit to install.

The thing that attracted me most to rc drift is the realistic bodies.

My hobby shop just ordered me a 200mm HPI BMW GT Body. Although it doesn't have any light buckets, I would like to install LED lights to add a touch of realism. Would this light kit work??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270012415111

I would love to have Blue and White LED's up front and four red LED's in the back with two LED's lighting up when I hit the brakes.

What would you guys suggest? Has anyone been down the LED road before? Where do you install the LED's on the spedo or receiver to get just the rear LED's to activate?

Kev
Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by supradude
well guys i was reading some where that you could use electrical tape wrapped around your tires and so i tried it ....and come to find out it actually gripped better than some of my old rubber tamiya tires so im gonna have to try this abs stuff
i used tape for a bit, it was good. i could control it, and just had to throw some throle on when i wanted to drift. but i was not getting teh crazy ABS angles. i was getting the effect that real drift tires have, i could race around with a lil but of slip. and when i grabed some throlte the rear would slide out.

and im back from south carolina.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Drift TC3 setting

hi guys...Wow!! this an awesome thread.

Im planning to convert my TC3 FT into a drifter, but im new at this drift thing and may need some advice on the settings.

Some questions...
1. Shock oil rear and front?
2. shock spring rear and front ?
3. shock mount position for rear and front?
4. Camber? toe in/out? ride height? droop? etc etc
5. Cn a yokomo drift rims fit the standard TC3 hexes?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:21 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

with my drift missile im running
1. 70wt all round
2. Yellow front Red rear
3. Shock tower mounts inner most holes
4. camber 0 all round, ride height uhhh slammed 2mm i think, whats droop
5. Yes they do i run them

you may want to run a bit softer im running so hard cause i need it to help get the power from checker to the tarmac if i go softer i usually end up stacking it
Old 07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default Toooo much power

Ok, so I just got my new Mamba 7700 system in the mail and tried it out in my drifter. With the power dialed down to 75% it was still WAY too much power for drifting. My setup also needs work since I was able to drift it, very carefully, with ABS but it hooked up (and went faster than anything I've ever driven) when I put on the tamiya drift tires. Or were they hpi, I can't remember as they're lewis's and not mine.

I think this motor is slight over kill for drifting!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

1. Shock oil rear and front? 10wt
2. shock spring rear and front ? softest should be green ro get some yokomo titianiums
3. shock mount position for rear and front? middle (both)
4. Camber? toe in/out? ride height? droop? etc etc 0 chamber and toe but have the rear normal or u can leessin it a bit like what i did
5. Can a yokomo drift rims fit the standard TC3 hexes? as paz said yes

hope it helps

also get a got stock motor with plently of touque as thats what u want for drifting

and get some abs tires of course
Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Serandin
Ok, so I just got my new Mamba 7700 system in the mail and tried it out in my drifter. With the power dialed down to 75% it was still WAY too much power for drifting. My setup also needs work since I was able to drift it, very carefully, with ABS but it hooked up (and went faster than anything I've ever driven) when I put on the tamiya drift tires. Or were they hpi, I can't remember as they're lewis's and not mine.

I think this motor is slight over kill for drifting!
hahah try 50% if u can and feather the thorttle,u can also get some hpi stage d tires and drift those
Old 07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bikedoctor
The thing that attracted me most to rc drift is the realistic bodies.

My hobby shop just ordered me a 200mm HPI BMW GT Body. Although it doesn't have any light buckets, I would like to install LED lights to add a touch of realism. Would this light kit work??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270012415111

I would love to have Blue and White LED's up front and four red LED's in the back with two LED's lighting up when I hit the brakes.

What would you guys suggest? Has anyone been down the LED road before? Where do you install the LED's on the spedo or receiver to get just the rear LED's to activate?

Kev
those will add realsim in apperance but when u go up and look at it the led would be sticking out the shell i believe...what u would want are light buckets and use those with that led set u can get on ebay or just make your own led set
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
PaZ
Tech Master

try running rubbers i ran yoko's with my 7 and it didnt really like them so i stuck on some old tamiya rubbers and i had the grip to accel but with just a slight left right flick it would drift lol

oh yea if you want over kill check out my new toy i took the 7 out of the TC3 and stuck it into my mardave oval car and stuck in my 6 cell IB3800's , it is ment for running a 540 motor and 4 cells it does massive burnouts and donuts and is insane in every way im more scared of it than the TC3 at full speed
Attached Thumbnails The Drift Thread-26-07-06_1858.jpg   The Drift Thread-26-07-06_1859.jpg   The Drift Thread-26-07-06_1900.jpg  
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Light buckets

Unfortunately most cars do not come with light buckets. What I've found works best is to wrap the led in some stiff wire, poke a few small holes in a piece of lexan, attache the wire to the lexan via the holes, and servo tape the lexan inside your body. This worked really well for my RSX as the front is too damned curved for any other method. Doing it this way allows you to aim the lights properly. The only problem of course is that you gets lots of light inside the body as well. If you don't want it shinning up through the windshield and under the car then use some electrical tape, and some small pieces of lexan to make a few shields. It's ugly on the inside, but it works.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

Can anyone help me with making deep dish rims? How is it done?
Old 08-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MK_Arbiter
Can anyone help me with making deep dish rims? How is it done?
go here http://www.drccentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31

hope it helps

pretty easy if you ask me
Old 08-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

How do you guys round off your ABS? I don't have a dremel or anything so... yea.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do you have a file?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Regular

yea... What I did might have been something weird... I took off the pinion on a motor, put the tire on it, put the pinion back on and taped the wheel to the pinion... then i used sandpaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.