Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

im gonna try to get some pics 2day of me drifting and post them up 2marrow
Old 12-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

once i get everything done (mid jan) ill post some pics of my car driftin and still shots
Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

so i know alot of people who dont wana get into drifting b/c they think its gona cost a lot

so can some1 make a list of:
what you NEED
what would be NICE TO HAVE
and so on and so forth
Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
so i know alot of people who dont wana get into drifting b/c they think its gona cost a lot

what you NEED
and so on and so forth

all you need is a pvc or abs pipe that will fit around your rims and then put them on either stretch them on with a heat gun or you can simply use super glue

oh ya and just your regular tools for changing your set up
Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
PaZ
Tech Master

yer u dont need any special parts or cars like the yokomo drift kits i had a complete spare TC3 just incase i killed me main one for back up all i did was add rubber tyres and its driftorama time im hopin to go for a new years drift cause everywheres shut so ill get some pix theni hope aslong as i dont freeze to death as i am doing now
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

has anyone used hpi's tires

i herd they suck really bad
Old 12-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

who ever said that is a poser(dumb@$$)
Old 12-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Tech Initiate

The only thing I've heard about them is that they are better for high power setups( brushless and nitro).
Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Tech Initiate

what you NEED
and so on and so forth
Drifting is very cheap to get into. I'm using a tt-01, some 3000mah stick packs, Airtronics 94102 servo, Airtronics MX-A controller, Mtroniks esc, and a Reedy MVP stock motor. Most of it is budget stuff. The tt-01 is tough as nails and easily handles the impacts brought on by new drifters. The only upgrades that I have on mine are aluminum center shaft, ball bearings, associated motor heatsink, and new spurs and pinion gears. After drifting and driving for a year, I'm just considering getting a new car. And that's mainly because an electric onroad track is supposed to open up soon near me.

To drift you need:
car(no need for the latest and greatest)
batteries(Epic 3000 stick packs work great)
motor(27-19 turn, or brushless)
esc(whatever you want that will handle your motor)
servo(I'm using a standard servo)
radio(AM radios work fine)
drift tires(pick the tire that suits your style and needs)(abs, taped, drift tire)

Buying a rtr will provide you with most of the stuff needed for drifting. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 20%nitro
Drifting is very cheap to get into. I'm using a tt-01, some 3000mah stick packs, Airtronics 94102 servo, Airtronics MX-A controller, Mtroniks esc, and a Reedy MVP stock motor. Most of it is budget stuff. The tt-01 is tough as nails and easily handles the impacts brought on by new drifters. The only upgrades that I have on mine are aluminum center shaft, ball bearings, associated motor heatsink, and new spurs and pinion gears. After drifting and driving for a year, I'm just considering getting a new car. And that's mainly because an electric onroad track is supposed to open up soon near me.

To drift you need:
car(no need for the latest and greatest)
batteries(Epic 3000 stick packs work great)
motor(27-19 turn, or brushless)
esc(whatever you want that will handle your motor)
servo(I'm using a standard servo)
radio(AM radios work fine)
drift tires(pick the tire that suits your style and needs)(abs, taped, drift tire)

Buying a rtr will provide you with most of the stuff needed for drifting. Hope this helps.

not sure if he mentioned it but the easiest to drift with is a 4wd car unless if you can get a car with a FR layout drivetrain but since mostly the rc car world likes it to be midship then 4wd is the best choice
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

what you NEED
and so on and so forth
Drifting is waaay cheaper than racing. It's definitely less taxing on your equiptment, you don't break as many parts when you crash - I've never broken anything drifting except the time my TC3 was run over by a car while I was drifting. There's no need to replace expensive rubber tires after a few runs. ABS lasts a long while. It's alot more fun with the long run times you get. I've put together used FT TC3 RTR drifters for around $200-$250 complete with charger, batts and transmitter.

Another fun aspect of drifting is making replica cars. People seem to like buying their favorite cars giving them cool paint jobs, lights, rims, etc...

Check out the following link for cool drift videos:
http://us.driftrcentral.com/video.html
Old 12-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default RC Drifting Getting Serious

Check this out:

http://www.groovydrift.com/phpBB2/index.php

Read up on the Yokomo 2006 R/C Drifting Point Series. There will be prizes at each 6 events and the grand prize winner will get a ticket to Japan to compete against those drifters.

If we all do our part in spreading the word, then rc drifting can catch like wildfire and hobby shop owners can potentially have another source of sales. To all the guys reading this thread that run a track and/or run a shop, think of it. It's cheaper than racing, run times are longer which make it more appealing to the younger crowd. Also, people in rc drifting come back for more stuff like bodies, rims, LEDs, etc... Since the chassis people use to drift are also used in racing (I use a TC3 and also have a Yoke SD Black, CGM) the cross over from racing to drifting and vice versa can only be good for the hobby.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

aye Henry you got PM
Old 01-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys good to see some more drifters around i had a tt01 but got sick of replacing axels and stuff so bought myself a 415ms it is a pleasure to drift although alot heavier on the pocket

i thought i would share a few pics with you:

it is running a kyosho 22x1 motor or a johnson 540. I am about to upgrade to maybe a tamiya tz as i have heard they are very torquey and good to drift. i have a nosram patriot 7turn limit esc currently in but also have a lrp running reverse (i think) esc and a teu-101bk which are back ups or other friends are borrowing them. i have 1 yokomo 180sx, s13, v35, persuit ute and s6 rx7 shells and im using yokomo stage d drift tyres.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Regular

i actually made some drifting tires that worked better than the normal ones because mine was with tape on the out site of the tires but no tape on the indside so when i was running strait then because of the camber i had alot of grip and when cornering the it ran sidewards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.