R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #286
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Aries326, yes, these are the points that I was trying to make.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:12 AM   #287
Tech Regular

Default TLO 1

Hi guys,
I agree with everthing posted so far. I had a TLO1 drifter that that was set up for tcs racing. w/all Tamiya options. it drifted as well if not better than my yok cgm. w/brushless.

I have been out of rcdrifting for a while, and am glad that interest continues to build. I have just converted my tbo2 to drift and will start again soon.

i'm hoping that Fred at tamiya will start a drift comp as part of the tcs series.
but look forward to when there will be the sponsored open events as was the original yokomo drift off at carson, cal. where all chassis will be welcomed.

I just completed my yok gt4 drifter, I'll run in on road first to get the balance then switch to drift when there is an appropriate venue.

As you all above have mentioned, the beauty of rcdrft. yu don't have to have the latest zoot equipment to drift. it a great way for beginners to get involved and for all you oldies, you don't really have to spend your hard earned cash to by the latest $$$ chassis, batteries, tires, motores, brushes and bearings.
and as a plus in general I have found the rc drifters a very mellow crowd as opposed to the territorial grip crowd. ( just try to drift at socal and you'll see what i mean)

Later, keep it sideways
wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #288
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd agree, you definately don't need the latest and greatest TC chassis to drift well. There's a couple of guys running TT-01's who practice much more than i do. They kick-ass... they're actually very good. LOL...
Driving/drifting etc... is still 90% driver. Having a highly adjustable platform to play with is nice, but even experienced racers get it wrong when they try to tinker with too much stuff. Practice makes perfect they say..

How embarassing...(I'm running a pro4 hara, with a GTB.. whoops)

On the topic of grip racing however... The trouble arises when drifters turn up at a track and want to claim it as theirs. Most if not all of the grip racers have memberships which pay for the running and upkeep of such tracks. They don't just pop up out of nowhere. But when someone who doens't pay a cent comes along it's not exactly a fair situation...

Most places are very cool with it, most even like to join in, but the big problem for the racers is the amount of trash left behind by the drifters. PVC/ABS both leave a crazy amount of scrap plastic everywhere. All over the racing line which is expensive if someone has an accident.
This is worse at places which have an established blue-groove or a prepped surface... not cool.

So before you flame all the grip racers, step back an have a quick 20-20 look at the situation. I was talking to a local club prs. about organising our own drift comp (For an Australian drift club. rc-d1.com) and he was saying because of the costs involved, the track has to be servicable for at least another 8yrs. Not to mention insurance and liability premiums etc.. so it's not that simple..

(I can see myself getting a flaming but, no i'm not a grip racer...)

Most of our local clubs are borderline about organising drift comps at their tracks as usually there is no-one who cleans up afterwards. How many drifters take the time to blow the track off after they use it? As much as i encourage my guys to do it, it's still an uphill fight.
AngryAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #289
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to thedudeaturdoor

i was just in the shower...and it hit me

here in richmond there are some local drifters who meet on weds night at the car-pool lot to drift (1:1)

i was thinking why not do this for drift races

and for Promo to get R/C in to the Community i came up with this...

Ok so i would contact the local mall "Short Pump" and ask if i could rent (if you will) a section of the Main parking lot in the front of the main entrance for R/C drifting, on Fri/Sat night

we would black off this area with Cones, then pop some trunks and have them playing music and a couple of tables lit with work lights to work on the cars, and a track lit by the lamps in the parking lot and set the track up with boards and cones, and race just like underground 1:1's do around here

that would be sweet, all these other teens who say r/c cars are dumb would be wanting one

and maby have the local hobby shop there

and just have that warm underground drifter feel

if anyone could do this it would greatly help the R/C community
thedudeaturdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #290
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

thedudeturdor, that's a great idea if you're willing to front the cash. Problem, especially in Hawaii, is that not many people have or are willing to pay money to run an R/C event here. Most of our races & competitions take place in parking lots that allow us. The main comps we have are usually made possible as one of the owners of our local hobby shops has close ties with one of our main speedshops and also another local hobby shop owner pitches in to help sponsor with prize donations. R/C, over here, naturally draws its own attention no matter how far away we are from the main entrance to a shopping area or park.
wrxnfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 AM   #291
Tech Regular

Default RC DRIFT

I agree with all about orgainizing rcdrifting.
with the influx of interest, and more people interested we are starting to organize comps. RC drift will have to stay separate from grip to retain the underground feel. probably stick to parking lots or places easy to set up and leave. After our first organized comp in southern callifornia, on of the local on road race directors wanted to organize at national series similar to on road racing format. I went to the first meet and no one was there from their oraganization and only two other rcdrifters showed later.

Althought the on road tracks look very enticing for rcdrifters. RC drift should stay separate with the underground and O.G. Japan drift charactoristics.
later.
wn
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #292
PaZ
Tech Master

duuuuudes i just been out drifting for about 3hrs and man i cant feel my hands or the rest of my body in fact lol its about freezing temp here me ponds frozen and the TC3 was planted i cant believe that a 9 turn is easier to drift and more controllable than a 19! i guess the plastics have got to the grip point its never been this easy to drive if i gave it half throttle it would grip and zoom away and take corners like i was on track rubber but just a little blip off power and it was sidwayz for ages and so contollable i couldnt believe it all in alll it was a great drift sheh didnt break a thing which is unusual for me cant wait to go again i wanna get vids but aint got the right equipment
CT Race Bodies
PaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #293
Tech Regular

yay!

i got my car fixed, and it did good today with slicks, im gona try to get my d-tires this weekend

yeah i could fron the cash in Arizona b/c dad has alot of it

i was thinking (but not in the shower) why not use like hose or somethhing? did some1 b4 not use some hose and say it was better than ABS?

if so could u share this wonderful info?????
Old 02-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #294
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to anthony390

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSorlie
I never claimed you didn't, but there is many who listen to weird voices in their heads and think they know things that are far off too

I never claimed you all did.

And I never underestimate young drivers, as I am only 20 myself. Only thing is you barely read what I wrote, 'cause you argue on things I never wrote

That was a footnote of what we did in Norway. I never mentioned you did I?

Every beginner has to start somewhere, and I'm glad to help anyone in my area. But also many beginners are sadly taught wrong about what they should and should not have to get where they want to go.

I was talking about the Norwegian drift scene, but to your info, we've got a lot in common. This is my brother, also a drifter: Fredrik, my brother in his Toyota

The reason why I mean that is the way, is because I believe in that knowing how to go fast will make it easier to start going both fast and sideways.

Where on earth did you read I hate drifting? I have been racing gokarts since I was 7 years old, my brother was a racing driver living in britain for a while, and I also started racing r/c cars with one goal - winning. Still, when drifting came along, without laptimes and such, we took it too our hearts straightaway. My brother became a hardcore drifter, and I a hardcore enthusiast and mechanic 'til I got my own car. Since I was a little boy, going sideways was the ultimate display of skills.

That is also why I went out on slicks tires in the rain, just to prove a point, going sideways and learning full control over the limit is extremely important, both in drifting and racing.

ok sorry but maybe you also got the wrong feeling while you were reading my post...i was just clarifing what you said and simply just standing up to who you call "wannabes" because the only two racers i know is the pros and the ones who look up to them
anthony390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #295
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
yay!

i got my car fixed, and it did good today with slicks, im gona try to get my d-tires this weekend

yeah i could fron the cash in Arizona b/c dad has alot of it

i was thinking (but not in the shower) why not use like hose or somethhing? did some1 b4 not use some hose and say it was better than ABS?

if so could u share this wonderful info?????

actually yes someone has a page ago i believe they said it is a radiator hose (the one for the coolant) and yes they said it is used to drift MAD
Old 02-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #296
Tech Regular

ok when i make sudden direction changes my car flips

(i have a 27t so i know im not going too fast)

are my springs to tight? or loose

(this is when i run slicks not Drift tires)
Old 02-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #297
PaZ
Tech Master

id soften it up a bit
CT Race Bodies
PaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #298
Tech Regular

yeah i broke my new chasis

and its not even cold out side

so it had to have something wrong with it

my car===== good fliper better than the rustler when i drove it off the roof
Old 02-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anybody got a link to a GOOD tutorial on how to make light buckets to hold LED's and how to fit them without trashing the paint??

Thanks and appologise if it has been posted already.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #300
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeaturdoor
ok when i make sudden direction changes my car flips

(i have a 27t so i know im not going too fast)

are my springs to tight? or loose

(this is when i run slicks not Drift tires)

your car might be too high or your shocks are too striaght up (like straight means it looks like this when your looking fromthe back and your looking at your left rear ( l ) and when it is angled it looks like this ( / )..you know what i mean

when your car is higher or anything else on it is higher then the center of gravity is increased...mainly in racing and i believe in anykind of racing you want to have the LOWEST cener of gravity