R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #2236
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Alright guys...since this thread is super long and i'm not going to read thru all of it...can u guys just answer a few "drift" questions for me...

what makes a drift car "drift"?...gobs of power?...cos my revo has gob and gobs of power...and i know it will NEVER drift...not like in those youtube videos...and my dm1-e...i don't see that thing drifting either...

i understand a little bit about drifting...in that u want chaos with control...but...with that being said...how do u brake and throttle at the same time on an electric car???....it just amazes me the physics and the dynamics behind this whole drifting thing...can one of u experts explain this phenom to me?
IvVaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #2237
Tech Adept

yet another stupid question...for drifting...is it better to have a shaft driven car...or a belt driven car...what's the advantage of having one or the other...

and...i've seen cars with motors in the front vs motors in the rear...which is better to cause the car to slip with control?...

what's the best motor for these drift cars?...do u want these super low torque mamba motors?...or the super high revving kv motors?...does it matter what u have under the hood?...

what all goes into the whole drift car design aspect?...and how do u even go about choosing a good drift car?...

a few products i've chosen to never buy just on principles...HPI...Associated...and Losi...just cos those b@$$tards have the market cornered...i'll buy traxxas just becos...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #2238
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Send a message via AIM to TRYMY4.0

My HPI e10:

Mine and my co workers:
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #2239
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
yet another stupid question...for drifting...is it better to have a shaft driven car...or a belt driven car...what's the advantage of having one or the other...

and...i've seen cars with motors in the front vs motors in the rear...which is better to cause the car to slip with control?...

what's the best motor for these drift cars?...do u want these super low torque mamba motors?...or the super high revving kv motors?...does it matter what u have under the hood?...

what all goes into the whole drift car design aspect?...and how do u even go about choosing a good drift car?...

a few products i've chosen to never buy just on principles...HPI...Associated...and Losi...just cos those b@$$tards have the market cornered...i'll buy traxxas just becos...

1. Just preference. I like shaft bc there's no stretch of the belts, no slight delay.

2. Again pference but IMO motor up front. The more weight up front means the tail will kick out more easily.

3. There is no best motor. I drift mainly tile and smooth concrete so I run a 13.5 or slower. Most will run faster like a 10,8 or all the way down to a 2 turn.

4. Almost any car can be turned into a drift car. All you need is a stiff chassis, lots of steering angle and some hard tires. Boom drift car.

5. That's ridiculous. You don't like companies bc they good products but you like Traxxas? Traxxas to me, has to be the worst. Just shoveling shit out into the market to get more people into the hobby...which is a good thing BuT all their products blow and the consumer usually gives up.

To sum it up, all cars can drift. I've had a 500 Yokomo and I like my 100 buck e10 better.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #2240
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYMY4.0 View Post
My HPI e10:

Mine and my co workers:
You My Friend need bigger offset Wheels!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #2241
Tech Adept

now this is just the kind of feed back i want to hear...

and on the traxxas part...yes i agree with u somewhat...but it's a stupid preference thing. (stupid mostly on my part)...

so the key to drifting is the hard tires?...so does that mean that i can turn my dm1e into a drifter by installing harder tires?...hmm...gotta try that...and what is considered as "lots" of steering angles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYMY4.0 View Post
1. Just preference. I like shaft bc there's no stretch of the belts, no slight delay.

2. Again pference but IMO motor up front. The more weight up front means the tail will kick out more easily.

3. There is no best motor. I drift mainly tile and smooth concrete so I run a 13.5 or slower. Most will run faster like a 10,8 or all the way down to a 2 turn.

4. Almost any car can be turned into a drift car. All you need is a stiff chassis, lots of steering angle and some hard tires. Boom drift car.

5. That's ridiculous. You don't like companies bc they good products but you like Traxxas? Traxxas to me, has to be the worst. Just shoveling shit out into the market to get more people into the hobby...which is a good thing BuT all their products blow and the consumer usually gives up.

To sum it up, all cars can drift. I've had a 500 Yokomo and I like my 100 buck e10 better.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #2242
Tech Apprentice

Hard tyres: either plastic or hard rubber compounds... You don't need excessive amounts of steering angle if you just want to drift an average-ish amount. I've had my TT-01 and Xray T2 drifting and won awards with them, the only mods being electronics and tyres! Just get yourself some tyres and find out what works best
K1RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #2243
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1RC View Post
Hard tyres: either plastic or hard rubber compounds... You don't need excessive amounts of steering angle if you just want to drift an average-ish amount. I've had my TT-01 and Xray T2 drifting and won awards with them, the only mods being electronics and tyres! Just get yourself some tyres and find out what works best

i'm definitely gonna have to try it...i'll probably have to tape the slicks and see if i can get the tires to "slip"...i don't think there's any tires in the GT class that's hard and useful for drifting...if that doesn't work...i can always put in a bigger motor correct?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #2244
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_josh View Post
You My Friend need bigger offset Wheels!
Nah, it's my body. I love HPI bodies but their drill points aren't perfect.

You can turn any car into a drifter some will be better based on weight and angle possibilities. Key to most drift cars I forgot to add is a solid rear differential. Makes worlds of difference. I also rock an open diff up front with 5k gear lube. I love it. I'll try and make some vids.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #2245
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
i'm definitely gonna have to try it...i'll probably have to tape the slicks and see if i can get the tires to "slip"...i don't think there's any tires in the GT class that's hard and useful for drifting...if that doesn't work...i can always put in a bigger motor correct?
Just get anything like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC1-10-DRI...item564ff52948 in the right scale. Tyres are more important than power and will get you drifting quicker. A bigger motor will just mean you crash at a hight speed
K1RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #2246
Tech Regular

Quick shots of my VDF. Just daydreaming as there is snow on the ground and I can't drift right now.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #2247
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What tires do you think this person is running.... the instant grip and speed are amazing!!! is it on carpet or ashphalt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOEkYOHoeac
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #2248
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling View Post
What tires do you think this person is running.... the instant grip and speed are amazing!!! is it on carpet or ashphalt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOEkYOHoeac
wow...does that drift box assistance thingy really work?...i mean...i see the video..but...do i really believe it?...can someone confirm that this drift box thingy work?...how does it do it?...does it just automatically control the servos?...
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #2249
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Dude, Drift box has been out for 6-7 years......... it does work.
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #2250
Tech Adept

Whoa...did not know things like this even exist...wow...now i know i gotta get me a drift car now...

"All of this control is achieved with an ultra-small yaw control sensor that allows the Adjustable Stability Control System to detect your machine's tail sliding, and the optimized automatic counter-steering prevents your car from spinning. It comes with a gain control function to adjust counter-steering according to the track surface condition and / or the amount of control assistance you are looking for. Just connect the Adjustable Stability Control System to the steering servo and it will electronically assist your driving. The device weights only 6.7g. The Stability Control System / D-BOX is connected between the receiver and the steering servo and can be used with all radio gear using Futaba style connectors. This is the ideal hop-up part for the Sprint 2 - Stage-D Kit (#30401 and #30402) and #33432 Stage-D Conversion Set for the Nitro 3, and will also work in offroad trucks and buggies.

Note: The Adjustable Stability Controls may be an unfair advantage and not legal for racing, check your local rule book. Yes, it’s that good!"

Yaw control is pretty new technology only found in the top end mercedes and lexus cars...nice to see that it's being incorporated in RC cars...kewl...