R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #1996
Tech Initiate
 
Munty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 32
Default

Hey guys, I'm normally into racing off with my short course but have recently been given a ta04. I have set it up for drift and have ordered a novak 13.5t drift spec combo from amain. I have two questions:-

1 What final ratio should a be aiming for and with what combination of gearing in 48p?

2 Can I use a one way drive gear in place of a one way diff?
as i have found this to be cheaper and more readily avalible.

Thanks guys, look foward to your opinons.
Munty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #1997
Tech Rookie
 
sLikBiMM 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay area California
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfaninmn View Post
Um, mind if I ask what condition that car is in?
Its in great condition no scratches on it at all just 1 and I do meen 1 wear mark on the rear of the lower chassis plate. And 1 stripped spur gear in the front tranny. But I think found the replacement gear on Ebay. And now Im just trying to decide on wether to drift it or make it a spec series racer. so undecided but ohwell. So if anyone can help me on what to buy to make this a drifter let me know
__________________
TC3 200mm Rallycar/ TC3 190mm TC/ Tamiya TA03F David Jun
sLikBiMM 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #1998
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munty View Post
Hey guys, I'm normally into racing off with my short course but have recently been given a ta04. I have set it up for drift and have ordered a novak 13.5t drift spec combo from amain. I have two questions:-

1 What final ratio should a be aiming for and with what combination of gearing in 48p?

2 Can I use a one way drive gear in place of a one way diff?
as i have found this to be cheaper and more readily avalible.

Thanks guys, look foward to your opinons.
Don't know much about TA04 Drift setup but hopefully they can help you here

I visit D1RC or CSJunkies when I'm really looking for something.
__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #1999
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLikBiMM 04 View Post
Its in great condition no scratches on it at all just 1 and I do meen 1 wear mark on the rear of the lower chassis plate. And 1 stripped spur gear in the front tranny. But I think found the replacement gear on Ebay. And now Im just trying to decide on wether to drift it or make it a spec series racer. so undecided but ohwell. So if anyone can help me on what to buy to make this a drifter let me know
Alot of people hold the TA03F iin high regard as a drift car. I have a Pro in pieces that I've been buying bits for the past 2 years. The car is easy to setup for countersteer and it's layout is arguably the best for drifting. Parts are becoming very hard to get now though. I like to think of the chassis as the AE86 of the RC world.

TA03 Thread D1RC

You'll find alot of killer setups in this thread. I know I was drooling over the stuff I was looking at when I was attempting to build up my 03F. Problem is alot of that stuff is basically non-existant. It's out there somewhere, and if it is for sale it probably cost more than what I would be willing to pay.
__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #2000
Tech Adept
 
xtian3188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 141
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Hi there drifters. Im planning to buy a drift kit but when I search for images on the net, there are different types of chassis that appear. One with the belt thingy and others are shaft. and also the location of the motor in the chassis. Im new to drifting and got bored with my buggy. Will you recommend the one with the belt over the others or the other way around? Im currently looking at tamiya tt01 and TEH R31 drift kits.
xtian3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #2001
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian3188 View Post
Hi there drifters. Im planning to buy a drift kit but when I search for images on the net, there are different types of chassis that appear. One with the belt thingy and others are shaft. and also the location of the motor in the chassis. Im new to drifting and got bored with my buggy. Will you recommend the one with the belt over the others or the other way around? Im currently looking at tamiya tt01 and TEH R31 drift kits.
I would first check with what brands my LHS carries, that way parts are less of an issue. Really any 4wd TC can be made to drift but the more specialized drift cars have more readily available drift specific parts like countersteer setups and steering parts.
Me personally would go with a drift specific chassis. They can go from under $100 to "costs hella". Right now I have a $440 Tamiya VDF that I spent almost that much on hop up parts. I'll soon be complimenting that with a $120 Sakura D3.
You don't have to go with a high end kit or some exotic kit available only in Japan. The TT01 is a great car. The TEH R31 is a good car too. Just do your research and good luck!
__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #2002
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 313
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I'm going to start back into the hobby with a Sakura Zero S and some upgraded parts like alum bulk heads f/r, vertical motor mount, upper plate, spool and 19t pulley with shaft. Just going to start of with an ezrun 9t 35a combo for now but really I loved the ezruns systems before and think it's just drifting so dont really need a high dollar. Not sure if all that is needed really for drifting but I just read 100+ pages on the chassis and thought I would like to start this build off right. Now Back before I quit this awesome hobby I had a sprint 2 and just 50/50 drifted but would like to set this 3racing chassis up for CS if I could. Would do I need to do? Also since I sold everything when I left I need it all back so I need to get some lipos. what is the size that fits? Also need pinions so what should I start with?
Thanks guys and look forward to getting back at it soon as it's back in stock with TQ.
RcJunky76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #2003
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcJunky76 View Post
I'm going to start back into the hobby with a Sakura Zero S and some upgraded parts like alum bulk heads f/r, vertical motor mount, upper plate, spool and 19t pulley with shaft. Just going to start of with an ezrun 9t 35a combo for now but really I loved the ezruns systems before and think it's just drifting so dont really need a high dollar. Not sure if all that is needed really for drifting but I just read 100+ pages on the chassis and thought I would like to start this build off right. Now Back before I quit this awesome hobby I had a sprint 2 and just 50/50 drifted but would like to set this 3racing chassis up for CS if I could. Would do I need to do? Also since I sold everything when I left I need it all back so I need to get some lipos. what is the size that fits? Also need pinions so what should I start with?
Thanks guys and look forward to getting back at it soon as it's back in stock with TQ.

Do you already have a Zero S? Have you seen the 3Racing Sakura D3? CS out of the box with the motor in front of the front axle. Did I mention it'll be around $120!?
__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #2004
Tech Rookie
 
sLikBiMM 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay area California
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
Alot of people hold the TA03F iin high regard as a drift car. I have a Pro in pieces that I've been buying bits for the past 2 years. The car is easy to setup for countersteer and it's layout is arguably the best for drifting. Parts are becoming very hard to get now though. I like to think of the chassis as the AE86 of the RC world.



You'll find alot of killer setups in this thread. I know I was drooling over the stuff I was looking at when I was attempting to build up my 03F. Problem is alot of that stuff is basically non-existant. It's out there somewhere, and if it is for sale it probably cost more than what I would be willing to pay.
Wow peeps keep missing my point . . . I already know how good of a car this to drift that is why I bought the thing . . . . So in this reply I quoted it is says that you have or know what is needed to set up a TAO3F which is basicly the same as the David Jun for countersteer. If thats the case why did I get reffered to another site that wants $5.00 to access the forums and ask ??s why is it that you cant tell me what I need or how to setup the car . . . unless this is your website ? So lets try this again can anyone help me set up a TA03F David Jun to drift
__________________
TC3 200mm Rallycar/ TC3 190mm TC/ Tamiya TA03F David Jun
sLikBiMM 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #2005
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Um maybe because even though i do have an 03F it's still in pieces so I'm in no position to tell you a countersteer setup. I figured I'd refer you to a site that has alot of info on the chassis and maybe you'd be able to get something from it. No it's not my site and hell no I didn't pay $5 just to join a forum.

The point of my link was that I can't help you but at least they can. CSjunkies and D1RC are some of the better drift specific forums on the web. Straight up general RC forums like RC Tech, URC, or Radio Control Zone straight up blow when it comes to specific drift chassis info.
__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #2006
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 313
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
Do you already have a Zero S? Have you seen the 3Racing Sakura D3? CS out of the box with the motor in front of the front axle. Did I mention it'll be around $120!?
No I dont have yet, waiting for it to be back in stock and I have seen the D3 but don't like the idea of the motor upfront and also would rather stay with a TC so if I decide later to switch I can, not stuck with a chassis just for drifting.
RcJunky76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #2007
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
Um maybe because even though i do have an 03F it's still in pieces so I'm in no position to tell you a countersteer setup. I figured I'd refer you to a site that has alot of info on the chassis and maybe you'd be able to get something from it. No it's not my site and hell no I didn't pay $5 just to join a forum.

The point of my link was that I can't help you but at least they can. CSjunkies and D1RC are some of the better drift specific forums on the web. Straight up general RC forums like RC Tech, URC, or Radio Control Zone straight up blow when it comes to specific drift chassis info.
I've found that those other drift specific forums are nearly dead. Most of the information in sticky posts and stuff is a year old or more.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #2008
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stregone View Post
I've found that those other drift specific forums are nearly dead. Most of the information in sticky posts and stuff is a year old or more.
With exception of CSJunkies and D1RC, I'll have to agree with you on that. Makes me wonder if drifting is fading away.
__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #2009
Tech Rookie
 
sLikBiMM 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay area California
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
Um maybe because even though i do have an 03F it's still in pieces so I'm in no position to tell you a countersteer setup. I figured I'd refer you to a site that has alot of info on the chassis and maybe you'd be able to get something from it. No it's not my site and hell no I didn't pay $5 just to join a forum.

The point of my link was that I can't help you but at least they can. CSjunkies and D1RC are some of the better drift specific forums on the web. Straight up general RC forums like RC Tech, URC, or Radio Control Zone straight up blow when it comes to specific drift chassis info.
No worries dude was just saying that in your statement you were setting up a car or at least trying to for countersteer was only seeing if you had any info other then other sites on which gears or what not . . . so plz understand bro didnt want it to sound like I was being pric . . . . why do u still have the car in pieces ?
__________________
TC3 200mm Rallycar/ TC3 190mm TC/ Tamiya TA03F David Jun
sLikBiMM 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #2010
Tech Regular
 
Chiefy 707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 485
Default

No worrries!

When I first came across my 03F Pro, some guy gave it to my LHS owner for free. I knew what the chassis was but at the time I didn't care for drift. (This was 4 years ago) We were racing mini's at the time and I knew that the 03's ball diffs fit the M03 and M05. So I ruthlessly tore it apart for it's diffs Couple of years later I got the drift bug and surfing the interwebs read how legendary the 03F was. Called my LHS owner buddy as asked about the car and it turned out it had been sitting on the side of the house with some other trash that was to be thrown away! So I came up on it for free.
Not sure if I'll ever get it together again though. Got really disillusioned when i was hunting parts for it. Granted I already have everything needed to get it running but alot of the plastics look like crap now as well as alot off the metal hardware looks like it's been sitting outside for a bit. I was eyeballing the TA03F Pro drift spec I've been eyeballing on eBay and using that as a base instead for all the goodies I've been stockpiling.

__________________
"It looks like a [insert car here]. It's just another [insert car here] clone!"
"Why did [insert manufacturer here] go with such a radical design? [insert manufacturer here] needs to stick with what works!" Shhhh, please.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sg Official Drift Thread!!! AndrewJCH Singapore R/C Racers 188 08-05-2011 09:02 AM
Official Drift Thread Ginsu Electric On-Road 8 10-23-2007 02:36 AM
official drift thread streetracer745 Electric On-Road 3 10-24-2006 09:07 PM
The Official Drift Thread anthony390 Nitro On-Road 0 12-25-2005 10:46 PM
The Official xxx-nt thread rushdude Electric Off-Road 1 09-24-2003 03:09 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:53 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net