Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Drift Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jdmpurest
Speedway Pal makes metal wheels, not many people use them. I was thinking about getting a set for fun. They're expensive usually, around $100 a pair. I prefer plastic wheels because if you slam hard into somthing you're usually gonna break a wheel before anything else, id rather break cheap $5 dollar wheels than $30 CVD's. Metal wheels would transfer that energy into the suspension and break turnbuckles or whatever.
Yeah that makes sense mine would prolly b around 100 or so for 4 but I agree with you about breaking parts I'm just gonna try it on solid works to practice if I make anything good ill post it up and see if anyone wants them :-)
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I had an amazing half day today at Speedway Pal, they had a new track layout which was awesome. I got there at 10am when they opened and only shared the track with 1 other guy all the way until 3pm when i left! It was awesome, the track felt great, I started off with a new set of YOK Zero1R's since thats the only tire they allow, they were really slippery at first but once I put a pack through them they broke in and got nice and sticky. My car was perfect I didnt have to touch it at all! i just recharged batteries and swapped em out all day! it was a blast. Next time ill get some pics for you guys, I'd only been there once before for a competition. They have the best choice's in ramen too and only $2.00!! Plus a stocked store, they're was a bunch of random stuff i needed like balance wires and foam tape and they had it all, plus every Speedway Pal product they make in stock!!!! If any of you guys ever head out to Japan be sure to visit Speedway Pal!
What are the Ramen choice's!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default help

Im been racing,bashing rc cars since i was 8 im now 18 and <3 drifting im now selling all my off road rc cars and want a drift car i need help picking one whats a good drift kit my max budget it 300 and whats counter steer do for rc drifting?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by b_chirrick821
Im been racing,bashing rc cpopulaars since i was 8 im now 18 and <3 drifting im now selling all my off road rc cars and want a drift car i need help picking one whats a good drift kit my max budget it 300 and whats counter steer do for rc drifting?
My buddy wants to get into R/C drift and his budget is $300. Using electronics sourced from HK, he can get a TB03D with everything for about $270. Thats just to get running. (Really it ends up being more like $350) A cheaper way would be to use a clone chassis like the TEH R31. A novice chassis (TT01, very popular for aftermarket parts!). Or, a used chassis ($75 TA05!?)

CS makes the rear wheels spin faster than the fronts making the car act more like a RWD. More and more this is what RC drifting is about. I'm still a noob to this so someone can better explain this.

Anyways, anyone know where I can get the Eagle or Active CS pulley set for the VDF?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Old AE TC3 for drifting

I built a TC3 many years ago for my son to try RC racing. However he never got into the racing scene with me. Although he likes drift cars and the way they look. I also painted a very nice C6 Corvette to go with the TC3.

Other than wheels and HPI drift tires (hard plastic), what else do I need to get the TC3 ready for drifting? It currently has a brushed 27T motor and an RTR Esc with reverse. Do I need to change to BL? Can I just keep it brushed except with a better controller? I have a few Novak Cyclones and Yokomo 15T mod motors left around that I can use, would that be suitable?

What else do I need such as springs, sway bars and suspension setup, etc.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I built a TC3 many years ago for my son to try RC racing. However he never got into the racing scene with me. Although he likes drift cars and the way they look. I also painted a very nice C6 Corvette to go with the TC3.

Other than wheels and HPI drift tires (hard plastic), what else do I need to get the TC3 ready for drifting? It currently has a brushed 27T motor and an RTR Esc with reverse. Do I need to change to BL? Can I just keep it brushed except with a better controller? I have a few Novak Cyclones and Yokomo 15T mod motors left around that I can use, would that be suitable?

What else do I need such as springs, sway bars and suspension setup, etc.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Brushless is not required, but the response is what you are looking for.

You need soft springs, like incredibly soft with the upgrade shocks. from there it just goes to prefrence. (one way, etc.)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Brushless is not required, but the response is what you are looking for.

You need soft springs, like incredibly soft with the upgrade shocks. from there it just goes to prefrence. (one way, etc.)
I got some TC5R shocks from a trade. What soft springs do you suggest for the front and rear? Also what weight oil for the shocks?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I got some TC5R shocks from a trade. What soft springs do you suggest for the front and rear? Also what weight oil for the shocks?
Like really soft, haha i use Yokomo swift springs, i use the blue in the front, and silver yokomo kit spring in the rear, 250 weight in the front and 400 in the rear. When i was running a slower motor like 17 turn i had the beige swift front spring and blue swift rear spring same weight oil. Now that i have a faster motor (10.5) i run 1 step up in strength do to the higher speeds im driving.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Something i started in our local club is messing with the weight ballance of the car. Its another dimmension of tuning which i dont see many trying. It has deffinetly helped get my nitro more settled and with more adjustability on setups.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Would a TC6 be a good platform to start drifting?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kb525
Something i started in our local club is messing with the weight ballance of the car. Its another dimmension of tuning which i dont see many trying. It has deffinetly helped get my nitro more settled and with more adjustability on setups.
All CS drifters utilize this tuning aspect extensivly. i have 30g at the front and the car is 50/50 side to side.

Originally Posted by CEASER
Would a TC6 be a good platform to start drifting?

Any AWD Rc car will drift, even trucks. If you want to haul groceries you can choose a Jeep cherokee or a Ferrari Enzo. Sure both cars will haul some Groceries but which one is more efficient? The cherokee! Same goes for rc drift cars, they all do it provided they meet the requirements i mention. But a $500 purpose built drift cars is going to be way better in the long run than buying a $100 car. Always buy the best with the money you can save. If your budget is $300 its best to wait and save just a couple hundred more to get the $500 car.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ?

what about a hb tcx is that a good drift chassis??
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Like really soft, haha i use Yokomo swift springs, i use the blue in the front, and silver yokomo kit spring in the rear, 250 weight in the front and 400 in the rear. When i was running a slower motor like 17 turn i had the beige swift front spring and blue swift rear spring same weight oil. Now that i have a faster motor (10.5) i run 1 step up in strength do to the higher speeds im driving.
I did the same. On prepared asphalt I ran swift in paringlots, i ran the yokomo stock black springs. that came with the non-tuned shocks(Original Mr4tc)
Old 08-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Anyone have know whether or not the Eagle Racing CS set for the VDF work only with Eagle oneway/spools or also with Tamiya's?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707
Anyone have know whether or not the Eagle Racing CS set for the VDF work only with Eagle oneway/spools or also with Tamiya's?
They work for both. The Square pulley kit is a good option too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.