R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #1576
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Almost Ready to Roll

Parts came in yesterday, so almost ready. Still haven't figured out quite how I'm going to put weight in the battery tray, but think I may have found something that will work. Need it to be low and flat so it lies where the NiMH cells would have sat, but below where the LiPo sits. Otherwise, LiPo won't fit. Tekin R1 Pro and Redline 537 motor, Hitec 5977TG servo. If I decide to keep it I'll clean up the wiring by flipping speedo 180 deg, hardwiring, and putting Rx b/w speedo and servo.

This body is actually an HPI RX7, just used the Yokomo graphics on it. Not bad, you can see the rear sits up too high, need to drop the body post mounts a notch with this body. Still some trim work to do on front bumper, etc. Waiting for paint to dry on the Yok body so I can seal it and put on the hardware. Will post pics of it in a couple of days. HPI body isn't bad, but the shape and detail on the Yok body are so much better. But, $20 v. $60, so I'll learn to drift with the HPI body and put the Yok on after I can keep it off the pipes LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
The Drift Thread-yok-apex-001-sized.jpg   The Drift Thread-yok-apex-002-sized.jpg   The Drift Thread-yok-apex-003-sized.jpg  
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #1577
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtamu View Post
Parts came in yesterday, so almost ready. Still haven't figured out quite how I'm going to put weight in the battery tray, but think I may have found something that will work. Need it to be low and flat so it lies where the NiMH cells would have sat, but below where the LiPo sits. Otherwise, LiPo won't fit. Tekin R1 Pro and Redline 537 motor, Hitec 5977TG servo. If I decide to keep it I'll clean up the wiring by flipping speedo 180 deg, hardwiring, and putting Rx b/w speedo and servo.

This body is actually an HPI RX7, just used the Yokomo graphics on it. Not bad, you can see the rear sits up too high, need to drop the body post mounts a notch with this body. Still some trim work to do on front bumper, etc. Waiting for paint to dry on the Yok body so I can seal it and put on the hardware. Will post pics of it in a couple of days. HPI body isn't bad, but the shape and detail on the Yok body are so much better. But, $20 v. $60, so I'll learn to drift with the HPI body and put the Yok on after I can keep it off the pipes LOL.
Nice Yok drift package, its a slightly older model. Since the Type-C release they have introduced parts to make it easier to fix Lipo issues on Dpackage. http://www.teamyokomo.com/jpn/partsl...s_sd_118c.html Should cost you around $11 dollars if you can find someone that stocks it stateside, maybe genkidoridori. PM me if you cant find it stateside. Also you should try getting a faster servo the one you have is a tad slow for drifting.
I drift at CHANCE CIRCUIT!!!!! And SPEEDWAYPAL!!!
I live in japan pm me if you need something hard to find, I'm paypal verified!
Jdmpurest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #1578
Tech Master

The LiPo fits, but it does put a little stress on the battery strap because of the height. Are the battery posts in the part you linked to a little taller? I can get it here in the US, but that would be the only reason I'd need it. What I really need is to find weight that fits in the battery tray where I want it. Headed to the LHS today, I think there are some Pine Box Derby weights that will work.

As far as the servo, it's a spare I had laying around. I use the older Futaba 9451 servos in all my 1/10 cars, best 1/10 servo ever. Soon as I pick up another one it will go in the Yok. More than likely this car will stay a 50/50 drifter. If I like drifting I'll just buy another chassis and build a CS car.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #1579
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
The LiPo fits, but it does put a little stress on the battery strap because of the height. Are the battery posts in the part you linked to a little taller? I can get it here in the US, but that would be the only reason I'd need it. What I really need is to find weight that fits in the battery tray where I want it. Headed to the LHS today, I think there are some Pine Box Derby weights that will work.

As far as the servo, it's a spare I had laying around. I use the older Futaba 9451 servos in all my 1/10 cars, best 1/10 servo ever. Soon as I pick up another one it will go in the Yok. More than likely this car will stay a 50/50 drifter. If I like drifting I'll just buy another chassis and build a CS car.
Yes the posts are taller, if you get the flat battery bar in this kit you can then tape weights to the battery bar.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #1580
Tech Master

Got the weight into it tonight. I ended up just taking the backing off stick on weights and hammering them flat until they fit where I wanted in the battery tray. I want the weight as low in the chassis as possible. I got 2.5 oz in, really wanted 3. But, that will do until I come up with a more permanent solution. Hopefully have time to get it on the setup station tomorrow evening and get it out for a test drive in the next day or 2. Taller battery posts would be a plus though, have to order those parts when I order other spares.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #1581
Tech Fanatic

holy shamoley... are they serious with that M11X? I'd rather get a DX3C and spend the rest on a decent "rest of the entire package"
Sabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #1582
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
holy shamoley... are they serious with that M11X? I'd rather get a DX3C and spend the rest on a decent "rest of the entire package"
Yea i couldnt believe it either. $900+ is outrageous for just a TX/RX.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #1583
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmpurest View Post
Yes the posts are taller, if you get the flat battery bar in this kit you can then tape weights to the battery bar.
you can get the Yokomo BD battery posts, also buy yourself a set of 3 racing spacers (the various size package) and mess with them until you find a nice, secure fit.

you could also go with an orion lipo that has the bottom molded to resemble a 6 cell pack.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #1584
Tech Master

Here's the Yok body. Colors aren't quite right in the photo, looks much better in person. Everyone that's seen both (including me) thinks it looks better than the HPI.
Attached Thumbnails
The Drift Thread-yok-bluebody-001-sized.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #1585
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Here's the Yok body. Colors aren't quite right in the photo, looks much better in person. Everyone that's seen both (including me) thinks it looks better than the HPI.
I hate HPI bodies, they're boring and lack detail. I have a ARD widebody ONEVIA. Im gonna buy the new Vertex S15 body. I think YOK pretty much makes the best drift bodys, although they come at a price, i think on avergae like $60 in the states right? i pay about $45 for a YOK body here in japan.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #1586
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmpurest View Post
I hate HPI bodies, they're boring and lack detail. I have a ARD widebody ONEVIA. Im gonna buy the new Vertex S15 body. I think YOK pretty much makes the best drift bodys, although they come at a price, i think on avergae like $60 in the states right? i pay about $45 for a YOK body here in japan.
Yep, like $58 plus shipping. The bodies are so good though. I don't like the way the HPI fits, see how high it sits? I need to drop the mounts at least one hole, maybe 2. The blue on the Yok body is much darker than it looks in the picture. It's a different blue and white than I usually use. Came out nicely, but I think I'll go back to the usual colors for the next one. I have 2 bodies to beat up already so it should be awhile LOL.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #1587
Tech Master

Man, what a helluva lot of fun. Did two 15 minute runs at the LHS, which has a nice smooth asphalt parking lot. One of the guys that works there was a friend of my older kids in HS. Good wrench, pretty good driver. Didn't realize it but he had gotten heavy into drifting for couple of years. Nice having someone who was competent, learned a lot watching him drive my car for a few minutes and listening to the throttle. Didn't do badly for a first timer, my biggest problem is overcooking the corner at the apex and spinning it, more on right handers than left handers. Some of that's me, I've always preferred left handers, but the car is doing some torque steering too. I need to put that extra 1/2 oz if weight in the car, I think that will help a lot. The ABS tires really drift easily. Too easily, will add some neg camber next time. The guy at the LHS said that the best tires he's found for the LHS parking lot are the HPI Type A, it's just really smooth and slick. Fun watching the cars in the parking lot stop and look. Went to a neighborhood adult beverage establishment on the other side of the lot after I was done. Took the car in with me since my wife was driving my truck. At least 2 guys in there will be in the LHS tomorrow ha ha ha.

Tekin R1 Pro was pretty good, first time I've used it. Definitely some cogging off the bottom. Need to upgrade to the latest firmware, supposed to help quite a bit. Was also running 20C batteries, will see if 40C's help. Really only an issue when I spun the car and had to take off again LOL. Nice and smooth as long as I had the RPM up. Not used to running high turn motors without boost and turbo. After a 15 minute run, when I put the batteries on to storage charge, I actually discharged almost 500 maH. Max motor and speedo temps were 140 deg F at the end of 15 minutes. Since it was 98 deg and 100% humidity outside, that ain't bad. Looking forward to doing it again soon for sure.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #1588
Tech Initiate

I love the A-drift tires from HPI. I'm currently waiting to test some tires of a similar compound to the A's from yokomo. The hard rubber compound is extremely fast, and depending on motor and battery ie. 7.5 and a 50c they have the potential to wear rather quickly, and at 17.00 a set my wallet cries after every session. They are hard to drive at first but don't get discouraged. Here is a vid of my super A-drift steeze!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
KennyManz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #1589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Quote:
Man, what a helluva lot of fun. Did two 15 minute runs at the LHS, which has a nice smooth asphalt parking lot. One of the guys that works there was a friend of my older kids in HS. Good wrench, pretty good driver. Didn't realize it but he had gotten heavy into drifting for couple of years. Nice having someone who was competent, learned a lot watching him drive my car for a few minutes and listening to the throttle. Didn't do badly for a first timer, my biggest problem is overcooking the corner at the apex and spinning it, more on right handers than left handers. Some of that's me, I've always preferred left handers, but the car is doing some torque steering too. I need to put that extra 1/2 oz if weight in the car, I think that will help a lot. The ABS tires really drift easily. Too easily, will add some neg camber next time. The guy at the LHS said that the best tires he's found for the LHS parking lot are the HPI Type A, it's just really smooth and slick. Fun watching the cars in the parking lot stop and look. Went to a neighborhood adult beverage establishment on the other side of the lot after I was done. Took the car in with me since my wife was driving my truck. At least 2 guys in there will be in the LHS tomorrow ha ha ha.

Tekin R1 Pro was pretty good, first time I've used it. Definitely some cogging off the bottom. Need to upgrade to the latest firmware, supposed to help quite a bit. Was also running 20C batteries, will see if 40C's help. Really only an issue when I spun the car and had to take off again LOL. Nice and smooth as long as I had the RPM up. Not used to running high turn motors without boost and turbo. After a 15 minute run, when I put the batteries on to storage charge, I actually discharged almost 500 maH. Max motor and speedo temps were 140 deg F at the end of 15 minutes. Since it was 98 deg and 100% humidity outside, that ain't bad. Looking forward to doing it again soon for sure.

What you should do is add some Kick up in the Rear to help with torque steer! and im with you on the yoke bodies I love them! Im not really in to HPI any more! If you know the right people you wont have to pay $60-70 bucks for a yoke body, I dont! My son and I have a set of yokes we call them the Twins!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #1590
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Here is a lil vid from a Jam Sesh @ Hobby Town!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.