Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
what is better NOVAK MILL PRO or LRP PULSAR SPORT? >

what is better NOVAK MILL PRO or LRP PULSAR SPORT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is better NOVAK MILL PRO or LRP PULSAR SPORT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what is better NOVAK MILL PRO or LRP PULSAR SPORT?

what is better in case of charging the batts NOVAK MILL PRO or LRP PULSAR SPORT?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Between those 2 probable the Pulsar sport.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

The Novak Millenium P is a good charger, however it does not charge NiMh batteries to their full potential in the NiMh mode.

I would recommend the LRP charger. It does a good job and its affordable.

Depending on what batteries you will be using, and outdoor temperature, you will have to adjust the peak detection threshold to get the best charge out of your packs. You should be happy with this charger.

Hope this helps.

Isaac
Old 12-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BATT_MAN
The Novak Millenium P is a good charger, however it does not charge NiMh batteries to their full potential in the NiMh mode.

I would recommend the LRP charger. It does a good job and its affordable.

Depending on what batteries you will be using, and outdoor temperature, you will have to adjust the peak detection threshold to get the best charge out of your packs. You should be happy with this charger.

Hope this helps.

Isaac
ohh but how can u say that it cant charge NIMH batts to its full pot?? but novak says NIMH2 mode is the settings for all NIMH batts...
Old 12-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With both the millenium and milenium pro you do not need to have it in nimh mode.. as long as it is a linear charge with the correct peak detect it will fully charge a pack.. i TQ'd a nationals this year using both a mil 1 and mil 2.. i still currently use them.. they fully charged my packs./.

CE chargers use the linear charge as well. there is no setting from nimh to nicad.. charge method and peak detect is what is key..

Last edited by burbs; 12-25-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
ohh but how can u say that it cant charge NIMH batts to its full pot?? but novak says NIMH2 mode is the settings for all NIMH batts...
The NiMh profile in the MP is set to peak at the correct level... However, with the newer batteries (ie IB3800) which like to be charged at a deeper state )higher temperature) then you need to re-peak a few times.

The Novak is a GREAT charger, however there is an issue with the NiMh profile.

If yo use it in the NiCd (Linear charge) and set the peak detect level to the propper setting, you will get an OK charge.

I made it very clear...IN THE NIMH MODE.

Burbs - You can win the nationals...That does not mean the charger is doing the best possible job.

If you read my response I made it very CLEAR about the NiMH mode.
I made an assumption that if this person is asking about these two chargers, he is not as experienced as you.

I could have gone and explain the entire issue on how to set the MP to charge theright way, but for his money and ease of use, the LRP is a good choice.

I am not giving information like most people on the forums. If I am saying that there is anissue with the charge mode, believe me, there is ONE.

We have done extensive testing and I know exactly why and where the problem is in the charger code.

Just try it, and you will see that in the NiMh mode thr charger will NOT CHARGE to full potential... and BTW, I do have the equipment (test equipment and facilities) to check and verify if a battery has been charged to its full potential.

However, as you said, if you set the right threshold in the NiCd (linear) mode, you can get a full charge.

This was a general comment about a known problem with the NiMh profile in the MP.

Isaac
Old 12-25-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Double....

Last edited by BATT_MAN; 12-25-2005 at 06:31 AM. Reason: already posted answer
Old 12-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I have a pulsar sport and love it. Its basically the same thing as the pro except it doesnt have motor break in or discharge
Old 12-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Issac Yes i agree the nimh mode is flawed.. I never used it for that reason.. the way i read your post i thought you were saying the millenium was not capable of a full charge..
Old 12-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BATT_MAN
The NiMh profile in the MP is set to peak at the correct level... However, with the newer batteries (ie IB3800) which like to be charged at a deeper state )higher temperature) then you need to re-peak a few times.

The Novak is a GREAT charger, however there is an issue with the NiMh profile.

If yo use it in the NiCd (Linear charge) and set the peak detect level to the propper setting, you will get an OK charge.

I made it very clear...IN THE NIMH MODE.

Burbs - You can win the nationals...That does not mean the charger is doing the best possible job.

If you read my response I made it very CLEAR about the NiMH mode.
I made an assumption that if this person is asking about these two chargers, he is not as experienced as you.

I could have gone and explain the entire issue on how to set the MP to charge theright way, but for his money and ease of use, the LRP is a good choice.

I am not giving information like most people on the forums. If I am saying that there is anissue with the charge mode, believe me, there is ONE.

We have done extensive testing and I know exactly why and where the problem is in the charger code.

Just try it, and you will see that in the NiMh mode thr charger will NOT CHARGE to full potential... and BTW, I do have the equipment (test equipment and facilities) to check and verify if a battery has been charged to its full potential.

However, as you said, if you set the right threshold in the NiCd (linear) mode, you can get a full charge.

This was a general comment about a known problem with the NiMh profile in the MP.

Isaac

OHH TNX MAN!...

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOURS... AND I'M THINKING ABOUT GETTING A NICE USED CHARGER.. SOMEONE IS SELLING NOVAL MILLPRO SO I DECIDED TO ASK ANY OPINIONS ABOUT RACERS.. SO I WILL NOT BUY MILLPRO NOW INSTEAD.????? IS PITBULL X3 GOOD???? DOES IT CHARGE NEW PACKS LIKE 3600, 3800 AND 4200 IN FULL POTENT???
Old 12-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

All of the pitbulls are great chargers.. the X3 charges the same as the High end GFX.. it just dioesnt have the cycle, or motor feature.. but as far as charging you cant go worng.. I picked up a blue model used for around 40 bucks.. it still works great..
Old 12-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by burbs
Issac Yes i agree the nimh mode is flawed.. I never used it for that reason.. the way i read your post i thought you were saying the millenium was not capable of a full charge..

Mike -- I understand, it's veryeasy to misunderstand issues in the Forums. I know you are a savvy racer so I wanted to clear that up.
You know very well that I will never say something that I can't back up. I don't repeat what I hear.
What I post comes from my professional and racing experience.

Regarding linear mode...There is a misconception. The NiMh2 profile in the MP also charges in a linear mode (constant current, not pulsating) the difference is that they have a preset peak detection level that is very sensitive and it shuts off too early for the newer NiMh cells. Thats the main problem because you are using the same circuitry to charge, its just the peak detection settings that have a problem in the NiMh2 profile.

TTYL

Isaac
Old 12-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by burbs
All of the pitbulls are great chargers.. the X3 charges the same as the High end GFX.. it just dioesnt have the cycle, or motor feature.. but as far as charging you cant go worng.. I picked up a blue model used for around 40 bucks.. it still works great..
oh i see... how about the settings for the delta peak does the charger have a chart for 3300,3600,3800,4200mah's...??? and is there any issue on that charger?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

LRP all the way! it has the latest technology in chargin nihm batteries. not sure how the novak stands in the competition but all i know is that you will allways be on the safe side with a lrp pulsar charger.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I own both and the Pulsar sport seems to give a better charge(there is a noticable difference in punch between a pack charged on the millenium and the pulsar imo).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.