R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Drifting cars

Hi
as I'm new to the RC World I wanted some advise on Drifting cars
I'm looking at electric powered what is the best make and model out their for a beginner
or is it possible to turn a TL01 into a drifter if so hows it done
all advise welcome
RC_TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Every rc car can be turned in a drifter with mounting drift tires on it and a spool in the back. This is the typical beginners setup for "50:50 drifting".

For the more expert countersteer setups you need a more special countersteer chassis and it should better be belt driven to easily change the internal drive ratios of front and rear axle.

For the beginning I would recommend a TT-02D. It's cheap and out of the box able to drift with 50:50.
Tom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:06 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

are the HSP Flying Fish RC DRIFTING cars any good anyone have one?
Old 06-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just started drifting a few months ago, so I can give you the perspective of a newer guy. I followed the common suggestion of swapping the locations of my spool and gear differential in my Yokomo BD7 and mounting some HPI T-drifts. I did this for about 2 months to make sure that I liked drifting. Once sure, I then opted to go RWD with a MST FXX-D. I've been driving the RWD for about a month and a half, but I really love the challenge and how cool it looks when I manage to pull a smooth drift.

I have a buddy who jumped right into a counter-steer drift car (MST MS-01D) since he didn't already have a touring car. His experience hasn't been as rewarding since he's been struggling to get his car to drive consistently - whether by design or improper setup it's insanely unpredictable. I think he would have been better off starting with a 50/50 converted touring car. It's been several weeks since he last drove his car. I drive mine 4 or 5 times a week.

Last edited by Colbynobo; 06-19-2016 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Wrong word choice in first sentence.
Colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

look into the 3 racing d4 awd. its possibly the best intro drifting chassis available. Not only is it very cheap, from a reputable manufacturer, but it can easily grow with you as you become more adept at drifting.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As said, any touring car can be made to drift. While I have Sakura D3 for countersteer and a D4 for RWD. My Vaterra V-100 holds in own. Taken a lot of practice.
I don't recomend starting with RWD. If you don't have right surface, it's just a headache. Had mine for months, still haven't been able to make do anything on a consistent basis. Or found any surface that it really works on.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
As said, any touring car can be made to drift. While I have Sakura D3 for countersteer and a D4 for RWD. My Vaterra V-100 holds in own. Taken a lot of practice.
I don't recomend starting with RWD. If you don't have right surface, it's just a headache. Had mine for months, still haven't been able to make do anything on a consistent basis. Or found any surface that it really works on.

Billy Kelly you have a rwd drift chassis? you should join us Saturdays we have a scaled carpet track in NW Chicago.
Mainly MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainly MT View Post
Billy Kelly you have a rwd drift chassis? you should join us Saturdays we have a scaled carpet track in NW Chicago.
I'm aware of the place. When Al's closed and the club never came back, I've been a solo drifter since. Don't know if I'd be any good running with another vehicle.
My RWD has been nothing but problems. Don't have a single run yet that I could consider as even a start. Now seems down to servo and gyro don't work well. Here's latest try with it

D4.

https://youtu.be/7fXS5isbDsY

Compared to my D3.

https://youtu.be/1irCNROcFac

Or even my Vaterra,

https://youtu.be/HZE0kSnBmyw
Old 06-20-2016, 05:55 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

New drifter here. Been running an Associated Apex. I'm not any good but enjoying the challenge.
Skeet215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Btw had a brushed Flying Fish. Not a bad car but in my area it's way easier to get Associated parts. Sold it to pay for the Apex. No regrets
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

I ended up buying a really cheap ebay Jobby a NQD drift car it was 30, to be fair although the control looks naff and it clearly looks cheap when you take the shell off, its has loads off Lead lights and I figure that the shell will go on the TL01 with a few new holes, the shell isn't that bad not as brittle as the TL01 shell, its soft so I think would be a good shell, and to replace a shell on a TL01 its 10-30 and mine is well F****d I don't have the cash to spend over 100 on a drift car or time to do a conversion and on top of that. My Tamiya TL01 broke on Sunday well the Motor went after just 1 days use so ive had to remove that and send it back with a polite note asking for me money back.... so I brought the NQD just to take on holiday
ive heard you can upgrade them but not sure its worth it
Old 06-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

People who buy cheap kits pay more in the long run.
Aw11Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw11Clown View Post
People who buy cheap kits pay more in the long run.
Its only for the holiday, I'm going to relook at a better Kit after I get back
if I spent over 100 on a car before we went away ill end up with my balls in a vice
Old 06-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Hey we all gotta start somewhere. I'm currently looking to step up into a dedicated drift car. Anyone ever use a Team Magic car??
Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet215 View Post
Hey we all gotta start somewhere. I'm currently looking to step up into a dedicated drift car. Anyone ever use a Team Magic car??
Friend had one. Seemed to like it. But he didn't use it very much. Almost bought it but didn't need another.
The Sakura D3 is solid for CS drifting. Should be able to find a used for reasonable. Mine was. Done almost nothing to it in 3years.