R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Tech Initiate

Ok thx. I've seen the sakura kits but I don't know if I'm really ready to build one yet. Are they a pretty straight forward build?
Skeet215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet215 View Post
Ok thx. I've seen the sakura kits but I don't know if I'm really ready to build one yet. Are they a pretty straight forward build?
all builds will have their little foibles but as far as drift kits go the 3 racing d4 line is pretty simple. Perhaps a tamiya may be a little easier because more stuff is "standard" fare as far as design goes, but they are also much more expensive.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Oh ok. Thx. I am looking at Sakura or maybe MST or Team Magic because I want a belt setup. Also what is a good motor setup? I have 17.5t Trackstar laying around. Would that be good enough for a rookie?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #19
Tech Champion

3 racing and sakura are one in the same. sakura is the name of the line of some of their onroad cars. for a 4wd setup anything from a 10.5-17.5 is pretty good. my optimal motor choice would be a 13.5, but 17.5 is perfectly fine.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

My Yokomo BD7 50/50 drifter has a 17.5.
My MST FXX-D has a 21.5.
My Vaterra V-100 dual purpose 50/50 drifter and low ground clearance rally car has a 13.5. I can see where it might be smoother and more consistent with a 17.5. I was just using what I had laying around.
Colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Thx for the input. I'll try the 17.5 once I get my kit. For now I'll keep practice with the Associated. I am really enjoying drifting. I've been doing some road racing recently but drifting is less stressful lol
Old 06-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Thx for the input. I'll try the 17.5 once I get my kit. For now I'll keep practice with the Associated. I am really enjoying drifting. I've been doing some road racing recently but drifting is less stressful lol
Good to read that you seem to like it. Most try drift and don't stay. Not what they thought it would be. Keep an eye out for used if looking for a more dedicated drifter.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

I am definitely looking for used. Just wish there was a decent place to go near me. I'm in Philadelphia and found a track in Jersey but it's pretty small and mainly used as a distraction when not on the road course between heats.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
I am definitely looking for used. Just wish there was a decent place to go near me. I'm in Philadelphia and found a track in Jersey but it's pretty small and mainly used as a distraction when not on the road course between heats.
Been 3 years this August since I've run with another drift car. I've never let the lack of others keep me from running. Though I know that's a reason many don't stay with it.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

If you're after a kit, mst or overdose is the way to go. Yokomo is also good. The sakura kits aren't bad but lack the quality of the mst/yokomo/overdose kits. Rwd drift is becoming the normal now and cs declining in popularity. You may notthink that's a big deal but it's hard to run the different styles at the same time due to speed and style differences. Don't buy anything cheap, you'll spend more money in long run. Plus if you don't like rc drift it's easy to sell a good kit
Aw11Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw11Clown View Post
If you're after a kit, mst or overdose is the way to go. Yokomo is also good. The sakura kits aren't bad but lack the quality of the mst/yokomo/overdose kits. Rwd drift is becoming the normal now and cs declining in popularity. You may notthink that's a big deal but it's hard to run the different styles at the same time due to speed and style differences. Don't buy anything cheap, you'll spend more money in long run. Plus if you don't like rc drift it's easy to sell a good kit
I agree that the MST or Yoke kits in top of the line spec may be better design and qualitythan the little D4, but they are also 4-5 times the cost too. With all the advances that 3 racing has made recently I would say that the car quality is on par if not better than both of those brands if it is speced up to those brands top of the line offerings. I would take a D4 over a lower end MST or basic DP yoke.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 AM   #27
Tech Master

While RWD drifting has gain popularity. I personally wouldn't recomened it to start with. Maybe if person has a club with the right surface. But for some one just wanting to try drifting, no way. I've had nothing but problems with my RWD just set up in a basic form.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:14 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I agree that the MST or Yoke kits in top of the line spec may be better design and qualitythan the little D4, but they are also 4-5 times the cost too. With all the advances that 3 racing has made recently I would say that the car quality is on par if not better than both of those brands if it is speced up to those brands top of the line offerings. I would take a D4 over a lower end MST or basic DP yoke.
By the time you've specced them up you've paid the same if not more than the mst. I started with a d3 so there is no bias. You get what you pay for with the mst. The 3racing quality and tolerances are no where near the quality of say the mst. plus the resale of the mst is easier.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
While RWD drifting has gain popularity. I personally wouldn't recomened it to start with. Maybe if person has a club with the right surface. But for some one just wanting to try drifting, no way. I've had nothing but problems with my RWD just set up in a basic form.
What rwd chassis? Only issues I've had with mine is getting it to move on rough surfaces due to grip and on a track I run on which has a corkscrew on concrete. The rwd guys just run bottom half of track. That being said the newer rwd chassis dont have those issues. Only the fxxd's do. I've had mates that haven't run a drift car run mine and have had no issues they didn't have running a 50/50 and cs cars.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw11Clown View Post
What rwd chassis? Only issues I've had with mine is getting it to move on rough surfaces due to grip and on a track I run on which has a corkscrew on concrete. The rwd guys just run bottom half of track. That being said the newer rwd chassis dont have those issues. Only the fxxd's do. I've had mates that haven't run a drift car run mine and have had no issues they didn't have running a 50/50 and cs cars.
D4. I know stock tires are not good. Probably a dozen tries over past 6 months. Haven't found any surface it works on. I like CS and 50/50. Can do that on any surface. For me RWD just seems so limited. If I had really realized how surface dependent it was, probably would have never bought one.

There's a video on previous page of the last time I tried running. I know tires are wrong. But gyro is just fighting me, no matter what it's set on.