Platinum Lipo

Old 09-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
If you do not have a voltage cutoff, watch the clock... safety or not it is hard on your batteries to drive them when they are noticeably slow.

All new Tekin products have an adjustable voltage cutoff.
I think you will see this as a trend in the higher quality ESC's, though it is not absolutely needed it shows the manufacturers are thinking ahead and recognizing the direction of technology.

I would use an ESC with a cutoff if given the choice as it is an added insurance policy to help prevent accidental over discharging.

Last edited by MrBlack; 09-06-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

The danger zone with LiPo's is those NOT in a protective case and has been in a hefty shunt with may have damaged the cell, these will then be weakened and can blow at any time, but then I have had this happen years ago with a Panasonic P180 NiCd cell after a major collision with another car when I race Tamiya F1, so it is not just a LiPo issue.
Please use common sence instead of damaging words, and why charge your LiPo at more than 1C ?, my charger will only charge LiPo at 4A max, and even then it never gets to 4A (3.78A is the highest reading I've seen) and I have not got any performance issues to complain about, but then again it is only an F103GT Tamiya (main race car is my Nitro car).
Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Can this charger be used to charge this batt or any other surface lipo?
What are the adv or disadvantage? Safety issue? Tnx

SJ Electronics - Swallow Charger

Charges, Discharges and Cycles NiCD and NiMh (1-10 cells), Lithium Ion/Lithium Polymer (1-3 cells), and Lead Acid (Pb). Maximum charge current 3A, maximum discharge current 0.5A.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

just took the lipo plunge and i can wait to try this out at the track this weekend

1. for its first use, do i have to charge it up to full right away? or do i use up the factory charge and then charge it up?

2. how are you guys mounting this up on your yoke BD's (or similar layout touring cars - 1 side electronics & 1 side batts)? i just taped it to the battery strap and installed the strap normally to the chassis. or will it be better if taped the battery directly to the lower chassis? i'm not sure how the tape will hold up to crashes is there a better way to mount this?

3. i saw the charger LCD from a friend that while charging, the volts seem to peak at around 8.4v before the amps drop down. does it have to be exactly 8.4? because it was a bit like 8.421 (?) or something before the amps dropped down.

thanks in advance for any info
Old 09-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Marvi,
I also tape my Lipo to the battery strap that way I can take it out easily if I need to. Especially since I use it in other cars/trucks as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Marvi,

Charge it... It ships with a charge in it, but load it up... I will charge at max amps, the back down as it gets full. This is normal. I'm using an Ice charger. The nice thing is you can charge it the night before (or week) and it will perform....
Old 09-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ad...Flight+Charger

this is the charger needed !
Old 09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

rcdougie, bvoltz: thanks for the info
Old 09-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rayman
Marvi what charger are you using and how long to charge initially? Have you tested the platinum lipo you got and in what motor? I assume you practice with 5-8min runs, do you charge them right after running and how long to charge them again? Will one lipo be enough to practice the whole day atleast 5 runs? Haven't bought new batts and charger after selling my nimh and charger so I'm just waiting for feedback with lipo and lipo chargers.
hey rayman, hope you dont mind that i brought your q's over here in the platinum thread. i got most of the info from this thread (read it all over from the start, twice )

im using the ice charger and ill test at the track this weekend i only tested in the streets and got a couple of back to back 10 minute runs. i only stopped because it was getting dark, but the lipo was still going strong. i was using a monster stock. im sure one batt is enough for 1 day you can charge while cooling down the car
Old 09-10-2006, 02:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by marvi
hey rayman, hope you dont mind that i brought your q's over here in the platinum thread. i got most of the info from this thread (read it all over from the start, twice )

im using the ice charger and ill test at the track this weekend i only tested in the streets and got a couple of back to back 10 minute runs. i only stopped because it was getting dark, but the lipo was still going strong. i was using a monster stock. im sure one batt is enough for 1 day you can charge while cooling down the car
Ok tnx marvi. No prob answering my Q from the other thread.
It seems everyone here is recommending the avionics charger. Was thinking of ordering it from towerhobbies myself but I'll look at the newer swallows advance charger..if i could find their website.
Any more comment and feedback since you used it last sat mucho appreciated. I'm just worried its too hot where I play since its outdoors and in the afternoon the weather I think is 40deg. Jp track is indoors so I'm sure there's no worry for you .
Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks to Darkseid for some lipo tips.
This looks like a c4 and I was so damn nervous handling it.
Used my lipo 2 straight days and so far so good. But it does heat up very warm maybe because of the ambient temp in my country. The punch is like having matched packs all throughout the discharge curve. My 23turns is actually overheating with the added juice and runtime. Probably had five 8 min runs before I decided to charge again.
Btw, my car was hit hard by a 19turn car full speed on the battery side while I was turning and flew 180deg in the air and landed with broken rear end. The lipo is still ok. I wonder if the lipo will still have this much efficiency after 6 months. worth the investment after selling all my nimh, tray and charger.
I'm using the ice now so how do you know if its 90%? I let it go down as low as .5amp charge only.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

...I wonder if the lipo will still have this much efficiency after 6 months. worth the investment after selling all my nimh, tray and charger. I'm using the ice now so how do you know if its 90%? I let it go down as low as .5amp charge only.
ive read that you can get hundreds of cycles before they slow down

when using the ice, it beeps when it reaches 90%, then you can see the amps go down (from 4.8) until it finishes the charge. ive also read that you dont have to charge it to 100% all the time. they last longer with 90% charges

btw, got the yoke charger last friday it's exactly the same as the ice, except for the blue backlight, silver plastic endplates, and the included temp probe. i thought it was updated to do a 20amp discharge, but its also 10amps unfortunately, the manual is in japanese

im gonna have to borrow your manual
Old 09-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by marvi
ive read that you can get hundreds of cycles before they slow down

when using the ice, it beeps when it reaches 90%, then you can see the amps go down (from 4.8) until it finishes the charge. ive also read that you dont have to charge it to 100% all the time. they last longer with 90% charges

btw, got the yoke charger last friday it's exactly the same as the ice, except for the blue backlight, silver plastic endplates, and the included temp probe. i thought it was updated to do a 20amp discharge, but its also 10amps unfortunately, the manual is in japanese

im gonna have to borrow your manual
hundred of cycles means that will be more than 6 months of good runs for me. Definitely worth it since every 6 months is the lifecycle of a set of nimh with the same price as 1 lipo.
I didn't hear the ice beep yet with lipo. Must be a low beep. I'll check again but with this pack I charged only once and it was all I needed for 2 days straight. Its like charging your cel phone. I'm totally impressed.
I went to vmall to get the lipo and they said you got the only stock of the yokomo charger talking to this long haired guy and cute saleslady . I wasn't going to buy the lipo yet but I was in the area to have dinner and the hobby shop is just around the corner tempting and calling me to buy the lipo
I can translate the manual for you or better yet
http://www.duratrax.com/pdf/index.html
Old 09-18-2006, 03:49 AM
Tech Elite

hundred of cycles means that will be more than 6 months of good runs for me
i know that youll get more than a year out of it ive read somewhere in this thread that they were using the lipo every week for more than a year with no loss in performance. ive also read that they did more than 200 runs and still going strong. well, we both can see these for ourselves in the months to come

I didn't hear the ice beep yet with lipo. Must be a low beep
yup, its a very tiny beep. when in doubt, check the amps, if it dropped from 4.8, that means it already beeped

I wasn't going to buy the lipo yet but I was in the area to have dinner and the hobby shop is just around the corner tempting and calling me to buy the lipo
i think the reason you went there was ...
...and cute saleslady
re. the yoke charger, i think pitshop has more in stock, he just had 1 sent to fortress do you still have nicads/nimhs left? try to order a temp probe for your ice, its a nice safety cutoff to have

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.