Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ENCINO VELODROME "Fun Run" (June 25th)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default ENCINO VELODROME "Fun Run" (June 25th)

I am only posting this notice in the General Forums > Electric On-Road area because of the Historical significance of the ENCINO VELODROME in R/C History.

Back in the late 1980's, one of THE BIGGEST and MOST Exciting R/C events was held at California's Encino Velodrome -- The R/C THUNDERDROME -- and continued into the early 1990's before being moved to the Velodrome used for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics at Cal State Dominguez Hills further south in the city of Carson.

For several years after Thunderdrome, other r/c events were held at the Encino track, although none were as exciting as those Thunderdrome events. However, back in 2010 this track was lost to R/C racing in part due to a fight with a residential neighbor who had a beef with all the activities in the park this facility is located in...that is until we were contacted back in Dec. 2015 that R/C Oval Racing was invited back to the "ORIGINAL" home of the R/C THUNDERDROME

June 25th we'll get our feet wet, our speed on (and probably BAKE a little in the So-Cal Summer HEAT) but this [b]ENCINO VELODROME "Fun Run" has already become an INTERNATIONAL affair - as we'll be joined by (4) racers who will make the trip (Just for our VELO race) from JAPAN

We've been away for (6) years, and motor and battery technology has greatly improved in that time, and we used "Spec" products in the past...so this event will test the waters as to how and where we go -- but the SPEEDS will be insane, as I expect our 2c / 17.5 Pan Car classes to reach speeds close to or over 70 Miles Per Hour

Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Joe-
It's real exciting to hear about the return to the Encino Velodrome. It looks like a lot of improvements have been made since Dan and I produced the RC Thunderdrome in the Late 80s. Can't wait to hear what current technology is like at that facility. Who knows, maybe Dan and I will show up at one of the future races.

Good Luck!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks Gary,

Who'd a thunk..all these years later, that I'd be trying to keep alive a track that brought me so much excitement so many years ago.

After racing at the tiny indoor dirt oval in Santa Maria, to several local parking lot tracks...the very 1st time I went to Encino for a RC THUNDERDROME race, I was blown away... Blown away by the crowd, the hype, the promotion, and the SIZE of that track. (oh and of course the Banana Man himself in his Banana suit)

Video from the year we last raced in Encino -- The South-West Tour ALLSTAR SHOOTOUT (13.5 brushless motors, Thunder Power 1cell 5000mAh lipo batteries - OPEN timing - 200mm Pan Cars with independent front suspension and low drag "Nascar" type bodies.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbaEv5r6ksQ
Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Oh yea only 10 more days...can't wait.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

WOW! that is sooooo soooooo awesome!

Its like a band going from pub to stadium performance ...HUGE!!

I'd love to see some onboard camera action ...could you imagine a live feed from the cars broadcast to a large jumbo-tron monitor ...or let people "tune" in via their smartphones.

this is really cool. Wish I could make it down.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh wait till I finish what I'm working on from 91
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I am headed out of town for a family reunion. PLEASE someone video some of the action and post to YouTube. Bummed I can make it in person but I would love to see the action