R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Serpent Project 4-X
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WagwanBumba
Introduction
This is a wiki page for the new and very interesting concept 4-X from Serpent. This is wiki is meant to develop and grow as more is understood about the car.

Serpent's Product Page - http://www.serpent.com/product/400030
The 4-X Development Story - Here

Manual - Here

Spring Chart
SOFTEST
  • 401705 Spring white C4.4 4X (2)
  • 401706 Spring yellow C4.9 4X (2)
  • 401707 Spring orange C5.5 4X (2) = kit
  • 401708 Spring red C6.3 4X (2)
  • 401709 Spring pink C6.9 4X (2)
  • 401710 Spring blue C7.6 4X (2)
  • 401711 Spring purple C8.4 4X (2) = kit
  • 401712 Spring greenC9.5 4X (2)
  • 401713 Spring grey C10.9 4X (2)
  • 401714 Spring black C12 4X (2)
HARDEST

Build Tips

RCBuilds.net Build, tip guide and youtube video - http://www.rcbuilds.net/builds/onroa...nt-project-4x/
Heave + Roll Damper Build Tips
Pivot Ball Nut Tip

Setups

Setup Tips

Ride Height Adjustment
Adjusting tweak with roll damper
Usage of washer on lower arm
Tuning ARS

Option Parts List

Social Media

Facebook 4-X Group

Print Wikipost

Like Tree57Likes

Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #121
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannhann00 View Post
Good info cheers Andy63 and Antimullet... Interesting you feel the A800 is faster. Do you considered the A800 outright fastest out of all current RC's including the A700's (very subjective/ loaded question I'm sure)?

I don't think the A car is faster- I think the Serpent Project 4 x is faster and honestly in a league all its own.

Every minor adjustment makes demonstrable changes to setup and the car can really be tweaked for max performance by the class you are in.

I anticipate a sweeping change in design philosophy to occur with other chassis when they realize the benefits of the 4x.

I ran mine last night, struggled in 17.5 TC because I had a setup for USGT on it. I was able to extract better performance by tweaking a few adjustments that were very impactful and made the car settle nicely for the 17.5 blinky TC class.

I think the combination of a low cg shock system coupled with the durability and adjustment range of solid hingepin mounts in the bulkheads, clip in adjustments on the lower hingepin, pivotball outer knuckles, and a myriad of other adjustability things makes it much improved over anything out there.

Been very durable for me and tweak free. Unlike certain brands that can't take a hard hit in a club racing accident and continue on.

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 AM   #122
Tech Apprentice

Cool to hear. I think I want one
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:48 AM   #123
Tech Regular

I wouldn't think Viktor Wilck is wrong in his statement saying the 4x has speed issues compairing to other brands. He told me the car is dependant on grip that it just can't go faster on some tracks. Just look at his 2016 results, you will see him being everything from 3rd at worlds and like 20-30 at ETS. Viktor is one of the greatest drivers out there for sure, it's not his skill that tells the story in the results, it's the car!

But from another perspective, i am 100% positive that the Serpent 4x is the better beginners car! Just build it the right way and pay attention to the manual, and then try to get some help at the track as well and you will be fine.
The car is crazy easy to drive, but not the fastest of the bunch.
//enjoy you new kit!
Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy63 View Post
I wouldn't think Viktor Wilck is wrong in his statement saying the 4x has speed issues compairing to other brands. He told me the car is dependant on grip that it just can't go faster on some tracks. Just look at his 2016 results, you will see him being everything from 3rd at worlds and like 20-30 at ETS. Viktor is one of the greatest drivers out there for sure, it's not his skill that tells the story in the results, it's the car!

But from another perspective, i am 100% positive that the Serpent 4x is the better beginners car! Just build it the right way and pay attention to the manual, and then try to get some help at the track as well and you will be fine.
//enjoy you new kit!

I would say your sample size (one driver) regardless of what his skill level is
Is way too small to make such a general statement.

Let's discuss this 6-12 months from now and I'll bet your opinion differs once the setups are further tested. I would not say it is a beginner chassis based on my 3 decades plus of racing, but that's just my humble opinion. Regardless, how it drives for each individual is open to their own interpretation, and how they like a chassis to drive.

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post

Let's discuss this 6-12 months from now and I'll bet your opinion differs once the setups are further tested. I would not say it is a beginner chassis based on my 3 decades plus of racing, but that's just my humble opinion. Regardless, how it drives for each individual is open to their own interpretation, and how they like a chassis to drive.
+1
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #126
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post

They have been using the project 4x plattform for a year now. 6-12 months wont get them any closer, unless they provide options or change the design a little.

Like i said, the issue is not how good the car feels to drive from an individual perspective, it's how fast this car can go around a track slower than other brands at the moment.

Tell me a serpent driver that is faster than Viktor Wilck and then you can say Wilcks knowledge and insight is less worth than your's.

And i'm not talking STOCK here, i'm talking Modified class, in stock the chassis might be as fast as others.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #127
Tech Regular

Quote:
They have been using the project 4x plattform for a year now. 6-12 months wont get them any closer, unless they provide options or change the design a little.

Like i said, the issue is not how good the car feels to drive from an individual perspective, it's how fast this car can go around a track slower than other brands at the moment.

Tell me a serpent driver that is faster than Viktor Wilck and then you can say Wilcks knowledge and insight is less worth than your's.

And i'm not talking STOCK here, i'm talking Modified class, in stock the chassis might be as fast as others.
This forum is for sharing info and discussing setups for the 4X. If you want to trash talk the car please do it somewhere else. We who actually runs the car are very happy with it.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #128
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
This forum is for sharing info and discussing setups for the 4X. If you want to trash talk the car please do it somewhere else. We who actually runs the car are very happy with it.
Trashtalking? I am complementing the car, but also point out the issues. I was simply trying to help hannhann00 making a decision as he/she asked whats good and bad 4x vs a800.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:49 AM   #129
Tech Regular

Quote:
Trashtalking? I am complementing the car, but also point out the issues. I was simply trying to help hannhann00 making a decision as he/she asked whats good and bad 4x vs a800.
Alrighty then. My bad.

I have only driven the 4X and not the A800 so I canīt compare them. I think Serpent is pretty clear about itīs an ongoing project (hence the name) and we will see some developments further on. But the design is tested on multiple surfaces and with drivers of different levels two years prior to release so I think the base is set.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:18 AM   #130
Tech Rookie

Default 4x

Quote:

//enjoy you new kit!

Hi Andre,

I think you took it a bit out of content here, I said we have areas we are trying to improve the car and different conditions we need to work on. But I have never said the car has speed issues compared to other brands.
For example it has showed great potential in low grip at last ETS in practice before I had issues with the esc and motor in qualifying and also high grip as the Worlds in Beijing.

I would like if you dont quote me in public before checking with me or talk to me about it , it makes misunderstandings and can take away from the things that where said.

thank you and hope you enjoy the car!

BR Viktor
wilck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:41 AM   #131
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilck87 View Post
Hi Andre,

I think you took it a bit out of content here, I said we have areas we are trying to improve the car and different conditions we need to work on. But I have never said the car has speed issues compared to other brands.
For example it has showed great potential in low grip at last ETS in practice before I had issues with the esc and motor in qualifying and also high grip as the Worlds in Beijing.

I would like if you dont quote me in public before checking with me or talk to me about it , it makes misunderstandings and can take away from the things that where said.

BR Viktor
Just need a nice new Electronics sponsorship deal for 2017
Old 12-20-2016, 06:17 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hi Andre,

BR Viktor
KERPOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2016, 06:46 AM   #133
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What I think the issue in the car is it over heats the tires this just my experience running 17.5... same issue with my yokomo BD7 16'... however this car really reacts on setup changes which is I really like about the car. You make small setup changes and you can see it in the track right away.

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com

Last edited by Jochim_18; 12-20-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:30 AM   #135
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi Andre,

BR Viktor
I never quoted you saying it has speed issues, that was my opinion and what i have seen and experienced myself.
But you did tell me that the car is very fast in lowgrip and you need to work on making it fast in high grip, so i assume that is an issue? but i wonīt qoute you on things in the future, so you donīt need to worry about it. And like you say, you are working on areas that need improvement, i donīt see anything wrong in my statement as you say it yourself.

but just to clarify, i donīt mean to disrespect Viktor in any way, i wanted to help this newcomer hannhann00 get a perspective on two very different chassis putting pros vs cons.
But in the end, i favor the Serpent 4x greatly, so i dont understand the accusation of trashtalking a chassis i clearly favor in my arguments.