R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Serpent Project 4-X
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WagwanBumba
Introduction
This is a wiki page for the new and very interesting concept 4-X from Serpent. This is wiki is meant to develop and grow as more is understood about the car.

Serpent's Product Page - http://www.serpent.com/product/400030
The 4-X Development Story - Here

Manual - Here

Spring Chart
SOFTEST
  • 401705 Spring white C4.4 4X (2)
  • 401706 Spring yellow C4.9 4X (2)
  • 401707 Spring orange C5.5 4X (2) = kit
  • 401708 Spring red C6.3 4X (2)
  • 401709 Spring pink C6.9 4X (2)
  • 401710 Spring blue C7.6 4X (2)
  • 401711 Spring purple C8.4 4X (2) = kit
  • 401712 Spring greenC9.5 4X (2)
  • 401713 Spring grey C10.9 4X (2)
  • 401714 Spring black C12 4X (2)
HARDEST

Build Tips

RCBuilds.net Build, tip guide and youtube video - http://www.rcbuilds.net/builds/onroa...nt-project-4x/
Heave + Roll Damper Build Tips
Pivot Ball Nut Tip

Setups



Setup Tips

Ride Height Adjustment
Adjusting tweak with roll damper
Usage of washer on lower arm
Tuning ARS


Option Parts List


Social Media

Facebook 4-X Group

Print Wikipost

Like Tree57Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #106
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Posts: 944
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

My car is up for sale if anyones looking for one: $500 new but built.

Serpent Project 4X 1/10 EP
__________________
...............
lagcisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #107
Tech Fanatic
 
bukil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BenTooWrah
Posts: 995
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

What's the weight of the car race ready?
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #108
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,654
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post
What's the weight of the car race ready?
From the Facebook Group..

"with a titanium screw kit and a 6200mAh battery and a normal LTC-R body its bang on 1350g"

The Facebook Group is much more active. A bunch of 4x cars did great at this weekends Stock Wars event.

"The Serpent 4X finished 4th and 5th in 17.5 Pro class
1st in 17.5 Open class and 3rd in Usgt."
__________________
Serpent Racing * Speed Passion * Fantom Racing * Windy City Raceway
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #109
Tech Fanatic
 
bukil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: BenTooWrah
Posts: 995
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
From the Facebook Group..

"with a titanium screw kit and a 6200mAh battery and a normal LTC-R body its bang on 1350g"

The Facebook Group is much more active. A bunch of 4x cars did great at this weekends Stock Wars event.

"The Serpent 4X finished 4th and 5th in 17.5 Pro class
1st in 17.5 Open class and 3rd in Usgt."
Thanks.
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #110
Tech Addict
 
tunerjetta29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 690
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Can anyone clarify for me where the ride height measurements are being taken?

I built the heave dampers exactly to spec in the manual, when measuring ride height per the instruction manual I can barely squeeze out 5.5mm in the rear and 5mm in the front with the ride height at almost the highest adjustment.
__________________
Currently Running:
Serpent Project 4X , 17.5 Motor, Team Orion R10.1 ESC
X-Ray X1 2017, 25.5 Motor, Hobbywing X10 Pro ESC
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #111
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,201
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerjetta29 View Post
Can anyone clarify for me where the ride height measurements are being taken?

I built the heave dampers exactly to spec in the manual, when measuring ride height per the instruction manual I can barely squeeze out 5.5mm in the rear and 5mm in the front with the ride height at almost the highest adjustment.
I followed Blake Ryan's recommend and when I built the heave damper I put a 1mm aluminum ballstud spacer on the shock rod between the spring and the rod end. That'll compress the spring a bit.
That will give you a ton more ride height but still allow you to get down to 5mm at the lowest setting after you run it a few times and cycle the springs.
__________________
Aaron Moore

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #112
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 86
Default

Hi been reading this and learning more about serpent and this car sounds impressive and by what has been said is a step up from the 411eryx.

I see you mentioned this car is quite progressive in its design but is it similar layout to the Awesomatics A800?

From those with experience (and as unbiased as possible) what is your views on the 4-X vs an A800 and the likes of a TRF419 or the latest T4 in terms of driving and speed?

Last edited by hannhann00; 12-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #113
Tech Regular
 
Andy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannhann00 View Post
Hi been reading this and learning more about serpent and this car sounds impressive and by what has been said is a step up from the 411eryx.

I see you mentioned this car is quite progressive in its design but is it similar layout to the Awesomatics A800?

From those with experience (and as unbiased as possible) what is your views on the 4-X vs an A800 and the likes of a TRF419 or the latest T4 in terms of driving and speed?
According to Viktor Wilck the Serpent 4x is faster in lowgrip conditions than on high grip. But i am sure the A800 is fast in any condition. But what i heard the awesomatix is harder to work on, but the serpent is relly easy and a joy to work with. But the speed difference between those two would make me consider the A800 only based on speed. We are talking a couple of tenths a lap here.

Good luck!// www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
__________________
www.andrefossto.wordpress.com|HOBBYWING |YOKOMO |HBracing |MIBOSPORT.COM |Reservdelsrc.com |Jockeli-Painting |
Andy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #114
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,201
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Owned both. Awesomatix is too fragile and prone to tweak due to the suspension arm mount design imo. They drive nice though.

The serpent takes the low cg benefits of the shock design and the strength of real hingepin mounts and drives just as fast with much better durability imo.

The serpent is Easier to work on. You just have to build it the first time and you'll understand.

I think it's just as fast to me if not faster than the A car because you can drive it hard without worrying about dnfs.
__________________
Aaron Moore

Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #115
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy63 View Post
According to Viktor Wilck the Serpent 4x is faster in lowgrip conditions than on high grip. But i am sure the A800 is fast in any condition. But what i heard the awesomatix is harder to work on, but the serpent is relly easy and a joy to work with. But the speed difference between those two would make me consider the A800 only based on speed. We are talking a couple of tenths a lap here.

Good luck!// www.andrefossto.wordpress.com

Good info cheers Andy63 and Antimullet... Interesting you feel the A800 is faster. Do you considered the A800 outright fastest out of all current RC's including the A700's (very subjective/ loaded question I'm sure)?
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #116
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,116
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy63 View Post
According to Viktor Wilck the Serpent 4x is faster in lowgrip conditions than on high grip. But i am sure the A800 is fast in any condition. But what i heard the awesomatix is harder to work on, but the serpent is relly easy and a joy to work with. But the speed difference between those two would make me consider the A800 only based on speed. We are talking a couple of tenths a lap here.

Good luck!// www.andrefossto.wordpress.com
I would have to disagree with him after seeing Chicky and Jeff Dayger's 4X run at stock wars last week on the CRC black carpet at 360v2 raceway (one of the largest and highest bite carpet tracks in the US). Chicky was right there on TQ pace ever single run with his with some of the best stock racers in the US!!

Now I think what Victor was referring to is the car is more geared toward lower bite with the current setups out there as no one has really ran it much on super high bite until now. At least when I spoke to him thats what I got from our conversation. I know he said they are working on some very small stuff to make the car even better and make the setup window larger than it already is.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | Apex RC | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #117
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I would have to disagree with him after seeing Chicky and Jeff Dayger's 4X run at stock wars last week on the CRC black carpet at 360v2 raceway (one of the largest and highest bite carpet tracks in the US). Chicky was right there on TQ pace ever single run with his with some of the best stock racers in the US!!

Now I think what Victor was referring to is the car is more geared toward lower bite with the current setups out there as no one has really ran it much on super high bite until now. At least when I spoke to him thats what I got from our conversation. I know he said they are working on some very small stuff to make the car even better and make the setup window larger than it already is.

EA
Some smaller stuff like a different plate for the upper link for a more agressive feel. I have run the car since october (modified indoor carpet) and I did have some problems in the beginning. Once that sorted the car handled very well. Easy to drive fast if I should summarize it. You have to setup it a bit different like softer heave springs and roll springs in front. The car really reacts to the changes you make. And I haven´t broken anything yet despite some heavy hits.
__________________
Xray - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #118
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Some smaller stuff like a different plate for the upper link for a more agressive feel. I have run the car since october (modified indoor carpet) and I did have some problems in the beginning. Once that sorted the car handled very well. Easy to drive fast if I should summarize it. You have to setup it a bit different like softer heave springs and roll springs in front. The car really reacts to the changes you make. And I haven´t broken anything yet despite some heavy hits.

Hey Holmenkollen, what were you driving before the 4X (was it the 411 4.0)? How does it compare to the X?

I'm newer to rc but trying to decide which car, and for whatever reason I'm liking the Serpent brand and leaning in that direction. I will be racing on rubber/ asphalt but want a versatile car that' isn't too difficult of a user experience.
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:21 AM   #119
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannhann00 View Post
Hey Holmenkollen, what were you driving before the 4X (was it the 411 4.0)? How does it compare to the X?

I'm newer to rc but trying to decide which car, and for whatever reason I'm liking the Serpent brand and leaning in that direction. I will be racing on rubber/ asphalt but want a versatile car that' isn't too difficult of a user experience.
Yes, the 4.0. It was fast on one lap but not on five minutes. And on high grip the 4.0 was too stuck in the corners.
__________________
Xray - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #120
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Yes, the 4.0. It was fast on one lap but not on five minutes. And on high grip the 4.0 was too stuck in the corners.

Thanks. Amazing to hear an RC car can go off after not even 5min (I expect this in real car racing but didn't know it would happen with rc).

So it sounds like the 4X is clearly the pic of the bunch at least out of the Serpent line up and a proper contender across all brands (of course being new I understand my driving will be the biggest handicap but still nothing wrong with wanting the best possible).

Thanks
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:49 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net