R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Serpent Project 4-X
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WagwanBumba
Introduction
This is a wiki page for the new and very interesting concept 4-X from Serpent. This is wiki is meant to develop and grow as more is understood about the car.

Serpent's Product Page - http://www.serpent.com/product/400030
The 4-X Development Story - Here

Manual - Here

Spring Chart
SOFTEST
  • 401705 Spring white C4.4 4X (2)
  • 401706 Spring yellow C4.9 4X (2)
  • 401707 Spring orange C5.5 4X (2) = kit
  • 401708 Spring red C6.3 4X (2)
  • 401709 Spring pink C6.9 4X (2)
  • 401710 Spring blue C7.6 4X (2)
  • 401711 Spring purple C8.4 4X (2) = kit
  • 401712 Spring greenC9.5 4X (2)
  • 401713 Spring grey C10.9 4X (2)
  • 401714 Spring black C12 4X (2)
HARDEST

Build Tips

RCBuilds.net Build, tip guide and youtube video - http://www.rcbuilds.net/builds/onroa...nt-project-4x/
Heave + Roll Damper Build Tips
Pivot Ball Nut Tip

Setups

Setup Tips

Ride Height Adjustment
Adjusting tweak with roll damper
Usage of washer on lower arm
Tuning ARS

Option Parts List

Social Media

Facebook 4-X Group

Print Wikipost

Like Tree57Likes

Old 02-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #211
Tech Adept

I love mine! It's 'tricky' to setup because the platform is new and there are fewer setup sheets for one to copy.

Once you get a hang of it though, the car is great.

What worries is a little now is that Team Serpent don't seem to be having much luck with the car on the intl competition level. They just did poorly in Thailand. I worry it will suffer the same fate as the SRX4 (original innovative design) and give way to the 'standard' design like the SDX4.
SoLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #212
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
I'm also interested in the Serpent 4x, but I want to know what setup for tracks is like compared to Tamiya cars... is it more complicated?
Everything about the car is intriguing. From the ride height adjustment screws (only two!), the simple shock removal, spur gear changes, etc. The symmetrical aspect of the car, the starter kit, it goes on. And it's a Serpent.
dan_vector likes this.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #213
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLost View Post
What worries is a little now is that Team Serpent don't seem to be having much luck with the car on the intl competition level. They just did poorly in Thailand. I worry it will suffer the same fate as the SRX4 (original innovative design) and give way to the 'standard' design like the SDX4.
I wouldn't read too much into that...it was pretty much Xray, Infinity and Yokomo. Plenty of other competitive chassis that just didn't seem to float to the top this time. You could also say Awesomatix, Tamiya, HB, AE, did poorly.

Didn't Viktor Wilck just take 3rd in the worlds with little time on the car?
dan_vector likes this.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLost View Post
I love mine! It's 'tricky' to setup because the platform is new and there are fewer setup sheets for one to copy.

Once you get a hang of it though, the car is great.

Nah. I think Wilck just had an off meeting as the tires were a big problem in the modified class (Sweep tires). Rheinard and all the others had issues with tires. Heck Coelho said he only had 1 good set out of 3! Yokomo seemed well out of sorts too considering Volker usually goes much better.

If you look at the 13.5 open brushless (running Ride tire) class Felix Law went very well and was in the top 10 all week. The other guys running 4x in that class also went well.

TITC is always a weird meeting. I've raced it for the last 3 years (I missed this year due to work commitments) and I've gone from top 20 in practice down to mid field and below when qualifying began and went onto the controlled tires. Last years Muchmore volante control tire was probably the best we've had consistency wise last year.

Don't forget that Wilck came 3rd at the IFMAR ISTC worlds last year with very little time on the car.
SoLost likes this.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #215
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
Everything about the car is intriguing. From the ride height adjustment screws (only two!), the simple shock removal, spur gear changes, etc. The symmetrical aspect of the car, the starter kit, it goes on. And it's a Serpent.
+1 its BRILLIANT
Byronf1 likes this.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #216
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
+1 its BRILLIANT
I can tell anyone interested in this car...go for it!

It is far and away, the most enjoyable, stable, easy to work on chassis I've owned.

Just take your time building it - you will be rewarded.
dan_vector likes this.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
I wouldn't read too much into that...it was pretty much Xray, Infinity and Yokomo. Plenty of other competitive chassis that just didn't seem to float to the top this time. You could also say Awesomatix, Tamiya, HB, AE, did poorly.

Didn't Viktor Wilck just take 3rd in the worlds with little time on the car?
Just busting Infinity balls a bit, anyone else find it funny how big there team has gotten and they have not released their car yet

I was hoping Viktor would've won, but when things went wrong, it was cool seeing Jilles look so strong again.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #218
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Just busting Infinity balls a bit, anyone else find it funny how big there team has gotten and they have not released their car yet

I was hoping Viktor would've won, but when things went wrong, it was cool seeing Jilles look so strong again.

Steve
Always liked Groskamp...wish him well.

Stan Garvin
Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #219
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post

Steve
The Infinity car should be interesting when it comes out. The guy that owns Creation Model/Infinity-Kenji Taira, has some very, very deep pockets.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
The Infinity car should be interesting when it comes out. The guy that owns Creation Model/Infinity-Kenji Taira, has some very, very deep pockets.
I agree, I would like to see what they do, but in looking at the RedRC coverage in all scales that they cover, all Infinity teams appear to be Huge. Top talent too.
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
Old 02-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #221
Tech Elite

Money talks....
Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 AM   #222
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Nah. I think Wilck just had an off meeting as the tires were a big problem in the modified class (Sweep tires). Rheinard and all the others had issues with tires. Heck Coelho said he only had 1 good set out of 3! Yokomo seemed well out of sorts too considering Volker usually goes much better.

If you look at the 13.5 open brushless (running Ride tire) class Felix Law went very well and was in the top 10 all week. The other guys running 4x in that class also went well.

TITC is always a weird meeting. I've raced it for the last 3 years (I missed this year due to work commitments) and I've gone from top 20 in practice down to mid field and below when qualifying began and went onto the controlled tires. Last years Muchmore volante control tire was probably the best we've had consistency wise last year.

Don't forget that Wilck came 3rd at the IFMAR ISTC worlds last year with very little time on the car.
Serpent is a small team in comparison to others so with changing grip, bad tires and so on itīs hard to nail the setup. This weekend itīs ETS in Germany, letīs see how it goes.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 AM   #223
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I noticed this car's Spur is 64p. I have a TON of 48p gears. What tooth would someone run for an old (brand new) Thunder Power 13.5T?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 AM   #224
Tech Elite

Quote:
I noticed this car's Spur is 64p. I have a TON of 48p gears. What tooth would someone run for an old (brand new) Thunder Power 13.5T?
I would think a 72 or a 75 should be good, just a guess on my part but should be close.

Steve
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #225
Tech Adept

Quote:
I run 48p....