Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reinforcing lexan bodies

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Reinforcing lexan bodies

Hi all - how you recommend reinforcing lexan bodies to prevent cracking along the front of bumper?

I ask because I've been running a mazda 6 body for about 4 weeks now - it has a crack running almost 3/4 the width of the body under the headlights. This has happened to me before, and I'd like to be able to avoid this with future bodies.

Will
Old 01-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

The best reinforcement method I have seen is someone taking this mesh tape, (the kind taht is used to put at the bottom of flower pots to hold in dirt, but let through water) and sticking it over the crack, or wherever. He then used Shoe Goo and put a good layer of that over the tape. When it was done, the thing was very hard, and obviously not going to break, even in a hard crash. Over all, it worked really well!

-etzkev
Old 01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
sdb
Tech Rookie

Default reinforcing lexan bodies

I use shoo goo on its own at the front on the inside of the bumper and then around the wheel arches. Since using this I have had no problems with cracking. All I do is put a couple of coats on, it does not need to be too thick.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Body placement to prevent cracking

Make sure that your bumper is right up against the backside of your body's nose. That way, the bumper can prevent the body from flexing back in an impact...which causes cracking. Even an 1/8 of an inch is too much of a gap.

If necessary, also try to contour the bumper material to conform to the shape of the nose.

Hope this helps...Bill
Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I use Tamiya aluminum reinforced tape. Works great!! All you do is cut it into strips and tape it to the wheel wells and front of the car. I got this package in Japan for only $3.50 and it can do 3 bodies. I'm not sure why this product has not hit the US yet. Everyone in Japan uses this type of tape.
Attached Thumbnails Reinforcing lexan bodies-tape.jpg  
Old 01-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trick mounting of body clips

Here's a small trick we do to prevent the cracking of our bodies... When putting the body clips on the body mounts, don't put it snug to the body.. We usually put it a hole or two above the body... This would give the body some play on the chassis... so whenever you hit something, the body would just rise on the body mount... This is also good whenever you get brushed, the body just moves and it doesnt upset the handling of the chassis...

Hope it helps...
Old 01-04-2004, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

One of the best ways to prevent cracking on our bodies is to take boat tape which is a fibre glass material and then take some shoo-goo and put a lite coat over the tape and let it set for a day and u will be able to use the body for a much loger time
Old 01-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Go to your local hardwar/home improvement store and pick up some fiberglass mesh drywall tape... Cut yourself pieces to fit and shoe goo or slicone in place... 1 roll of tape will last you close to 100 bodies....
Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use reinforced strapping tape than shoe goo...ran a body for a year and never had it crack.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Tech Adept

All these methods adds weight to the body but if you don't mind the added weight then go for it. I've used the shoo go and fiberglass mesh drywall tape before and it works great.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:48 AM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

UUUUHHHHHH Dont hit stuff !!!!!!!! My bodies crack alot less if i dont smash them into things......
Old 01-05-2004, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

After you see a crack on the shell, immediately "capture" it by drilling a hole at the end of the crack. It works by stopping the crack from propagating.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Shoe Goo + Fibre mesh...
After applying the goo, even / thin it with plastic card.
the goo thickness will be the same of mesh thickness, that way you wont add too much of a weight.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't understand how Shoe goo will help since it's flexible. Wouldn't it be better to use some real fiberglass epoxy (no clue what it's called), so that when it dries, it's hard like fiberglass?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Something has to give. Either the body flexes and returns to its original shape or it breaks. If you use regular fiberglass, it will break. (if the body holds up to the heat of the catalyst)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.