Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated F1 >

Team Associated F1

Like Tree331Likes

Team Associated F1

Old 07-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK I am guilty, I have not even started to read this thread, but I am interested in how good this car actually is. I have not had an Associated car since the RC10LSO and if you are under 20 years old then you've probably never seen one. It is an oval car, and on eBay still costs the same now as it did in 1996. Anyhow I am an F1 junkie, I only have 4 at the moment with one in the mail, Tamiya TRF 101, Speed Passion SP1, a stock (seriously) F104W and my pride and joy the Exotek F1Ultra, with a hybrid version here and in the mail. BUT, I believe in equality, and that means I believe in having an equal number of F1 cars from every where. SO lets hear it, how much baddest assest is the AE F6. I'm always looking for the next car. Which is a Fenix or however they spell it, but after that I will need the nextest next car. This may be it. And quite honestly I am a horrible, horrible, should be banned from RC, type of driver. Thanks
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
I've read that people have boiled the wings for 10-15 minutes to make them more durable. I haven't done it myself. Has anyone else?
Don't do it. Stock wing will get even softer and floppier I tried it. Way worse.
Ended up going with a f104j wing.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by texastc
OK I am guilty, I have not even started to read this thread, but I am interested in how good this car actually is. I have not had an Associated car since the RC10LSO and if you are under 20 years old then you've probably never seen one. It is an oval car, and on eBay still costs the same now as it did in 1996. Anyhow I am an F1 junkie, I only have 4 at the moment with one in the mail, Tamiya TRF 101, Speed Passion SP1, a stock (seriously) F104W and my pride and joy the Exotek F1Ultra, with a hybrid version here and in the mail. BUT, I believe in equality, and that means I believe in having an equal number of F1 cars from every where. SO lets hear it, how much baddest assest is the AE F6. I'm always looking for the next car. Which is a Fenix or however they spell it, but after that I will need the nextest next car. This may be it. And quite honestly I am a horrible, horrible, should be banned from RC, type of driver. Thanks
It's a great chassis, turns great and very durable. I'd keep mine but I'm switching brands for sponsorship reasons and the Serpent looks really good as well. Lots of good choices out there today. I particularly like the Serpent and AE because they have both designed rear center pivots that don't bind like traditional ones do if you adjust them wrong.
texastc likes this.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have mine mostly box stock. I've added the alloy caster and camber inserts, replaced the set screws with button head screws for the damper springs and put shock eyelets from the F6 parts list (same length as the damper eyelets) and 5mm threaded ball studs on the outer damper tubes. I secured the outer damper screw with a thin M3 nut on a button head and now I can unscrew the ballstud to relube the damper instead of popping it off.

The build was straight forward. The only odd parts are the 3D drawings for the front end make it hard to align the front upper plate if you're not careful and some incorrectly labeled dimensions on some of the parts.

Driving wise, you'd like it. Once the tires are truly run in (CRC, Pit or Schumacher) the kit inspires confidence. I have tried the new Gravity premounts and they are good. They are half a second slower, but need more time on them.

My setup is box stock, 4mm front and .5mm droop, 4.5mm rear ride height and 1.5mm droop. I have a 90 gram brass plate running inline, low CG shorty batteries, Hobbywing Pro Stock Spec ESC mounted to allow for inline or transverse at the same time. Car is @ 1053g. It is put into motion with a Team Scream The 1 25.5.

On Black carpet: Glue the sidewalls from the middle of the tire to the edge of the contact patch! Or else!

And I liked enough to get a second one. It's supposed to be for parts, but I haven't broken anything. The only part that is of concern so far is the long chassis to upper deck front support post that will bend if you whack it hard enough. Longer screws than in the kit will remedy that. Some are looking for an alternative, but I haven't seen an actual solution.

If the only major gripe for a car that handles this well is one alloy post and a front wing, all I can say is: Ladies and gentlemen, we have a contender.
Nego and commandoe like this.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 07-12-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I have mine mostly box stock. I've added the alloy caster and camber inserts, replaced the set screws with button head screws for the damper springs and put shock eyelets from the F6 parts list (same length as the damper eyelets) and 5mm threaded ball studs on the outer damper tubes. I secured the outer damper screw with a thin M3 nut on a button head and now I can unscrew the ballstud to relube the damper instead of popping it off.

The build was straight forward. The only odd parts are the 3D drawings for the front end make it hard to align the front upper plate if you're not careful and some incorrectly labeled dimensions on some of the parts.

Driving wise, you'd like it. Once the tires are truly run in (CRC, Pit or Schumacher) the kit inspires confidence. I have tried the new Gravity premounts and they are good. They are half a second slower, but need more time on them.

My setup is box stock, 4mm front and .5mm droop, 4.5mm rear ride height and 1.5mm droop. I have a 90 gram brass plate running inline, low CG shorty batteries, Hobbywing Pro Stock Spec ESC mounted to allow for inline or transverse at the same time. Car is @ 1053g. It is put into motion with a Team Scream The 1 25.5.

On Black carpet: Glue the sidewalls from the middle of the tire to the edge of the contact patch! Or else!

And I liked enough to get a second one. It's supposed to be for parts, but I haven't broken anything. The only part that is of concern so far is the long chassis to upper deck front support post that will bend if you whack it hard enough. Longer screws than in the kit will remedy that. Some are looking for an alternative, but I haven't seen an actual solution.

If the only major gripe for a car that handles this well is one alloy post and a front wing, all I can say is: Ladies and gentlemen, we have a contender.

damn you
Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So the CRC premounts are the way to go over the Gravity? I like the fact the latter it $20 cheaper lol
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
So the CRC premounts are the way to go over the Gravity? I like the fact the latter it $20 cheaper lol
I have no personal experience with the Gravity premounts, but have heard that they are good to go straight out of package, but from same racer heard that the rims are somewhat weak. I will be trying out some, I have the CRCs now and have used Pit Shimizus for years
Old 07-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have no personal experience with the Gravity premounts, but have heard that they are good to go straight out of package, but from same racer heard that the rims are somewhat weak. I will be trying out some, I have the CRCs now and have used Pit Shimizus for years
I'm using the Gravity premounts. So far so good. Running on pavement.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

damn you
So, you liked my review?
texastc likes this.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Tech Champion

I would say inconclusive. I have years of experience on the CRC (Pit Shimizu) and only 5 or 6 runs on the Gravity's. I will say the Gravity tires don't lack grip. They will take time and I will have to gain more knowledge of the prep and setup around the compound.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The wheel and color are not my style on CRC Pits..... I got some Sweeps.... Wheel looks are better. Gray in color and I like the spokes better. But I wouldn't be opposed to running the CRC's if they work better
Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Crc rims are nylon and indestructible. Shumi/pit premount are abs rims and come pre-cracked in the package. If not they will soon crack on the track. Not sure about gravity. I know they were using abs in their USGT rims and they crack. I think abs belongs on static models but that's my opinion. I asked Paul about the USGT rims and he prefers abs as he feels they run truer. I don't doubt this at all as I know the crc premounts are a bit wobbly. All the gravitys I've ever ran were nice and true. Really personal preference. Not sure what the plastic composition of the sweeps are.
liljohn1064 likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Going to start with the CRC. They are proven to work at my local track.

Picked up a used one that has the McFactory Aluminum chassis and carbon stiffners. Running on medium grip Grey CRC carpet. Should I go ahead and switch back the the carbon chassis?
Antimullet likes this.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
So, you liked my review?
Le sigh, yes
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Going to start with the CRC. They are proven to work at my local track.

Picked up a used one that has the McFactory Aluminum chassis and carbon stiffners. Running on medium grip Grey CRC carpet. Should I go ahead and switch back the the carbon chassis?
I running CRCs as well as most at my track, but several of us have noticed a severe front wheel wobble like a tire out of balance or a sub par glue job, Does not affect me, I cant drive straight if I was on rails

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.