Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Problems

OK I finally got my main chassi for my xxx-s in the mail and put my car back together exactly the way it was when I took it apart. A few kids in my neighborhood have cars and wanted to race me and finally I could because I had my car back together. One of them has a the electric 4-tec and the other the nitro 4-tec, these are pretty fast cars so I knew I would need to be faster. We were dragging by the way.

So I popped a 28 tooth pinion in my car which made the gear ratio 5.75, opposed to the 6.71 ratio I had before. This is quite a hop, and my car very fast. Yesterday was also very hot here near chicago (90 or something and about 100% humidity which made it feel, according to the weather man, 110 degrees). Just standing outside for 10 minutes I started to sweat.

We raced a few times and I beat them everytime, I even gave them a handicap and still won. However I think I damaged my esc. My motor was a little warmer than usual which I blamed the weather for, but my esc was really hot, a lot hotter than normal. Also where the battery connects to my esc the wire was really hot too. I dont know why?

And since I had it geared so high wouldn't my motor be the first thing to fry? I took it out today with the 6.71 gear ratio and it ran fine for about 2 minutes then pretty quickly got slower and slower until it wouldn't go. It was a fully charged battery too. My motor was just warm but my esc was really hot again.

Is there a way I can fix this, or do I need to get a new esc? Also why did my esc get hot and not my motor? And how come it only goes slow (by slow I mean you could walk about the same speed as it)?

And yes I realize I was stupid for gearing it that high on probably the hottest day of the summer.

Zach

p.s. I was using a gm3 esc. with a 19 turn motor
Old 08-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

What kind of motor is it? And what are the esc ratings? You may have exceeded its limitations.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Default Electric On-Road > Problems

1) If your Wires or Plugs are getting hot, then there's room for improvement.

2) ESC's usually fail completely if extremely overheated (at least in my experience). I've actually seen the Solder melted off circuit boards because of overheating, so that was HOT.

3) The slow running sounds like a Motor problem. Give the Motor a thorough inspection for signs of overheating (Purple Brushes and/or Hoods, burnt Brushes or Com)
May be time for a rebuild.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

well my car is a rtr and the gm3 motor limit is 15 turns so that's not it. But how come my motor wasn't hot and just my esc if there's a problem with the motor.

I'll clean it out completely and see what happens. Thanks for the help. And popsracer what do you mean by "there's room for improvement?"
Old 08-22-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

ur problem is ur batts.wen they go dead and ur driving at full throttle the batts and esc cant give the motor what it wants,and it starts to make the esc and batts and wire hot bcause its trying to get to much [like a overload there isnt suffeciant power to keep it going and everytghing gets hot.
its nothing to do with esc and motor.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Check your motor brushes. You shouldn't ever gear a 19T at 5.75 on a touring car.

Last edited by webspinner; 08-22-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

If you haven't fried the motor, you probably need to cut the comm and put new brushes in. Then gear it right.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

I checked my brushes and they look fine. I only ran it geared at 5.75 for a few minutes and about 4 races (drag race down the street about 200 feet). I cleaned my motor out and charged my batts at 2 amps fully so they'd last a little longer, and it seems to work fine now.
Old 08-23-2003, 03:51 AM
Tech Master

i said it wud b the batts.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:43 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by zachzachz
well my car is a rtr and the gm3 motor limit is 15 turns so that's not it. But how come my motor wasn't hot and just my esc if there's a problem with the motor.

I'll clean it out completely and see what happens. Thanks for the help. And popsracer what do you mean by "there's room for improvement?"
Room for improvement means ditch the stock connectors, upgrade to Deans plugs or something like that, the stock ones will actually melt together they get so hot...