R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #106
Tech Master

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-mamba.html
1.77 firmware....

Download as fast as possible...it could be removed any time soon!! lol

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

-They fix the MMX issue of high voltage 6s power loss :P

Now we need the XLX one fix!

Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-02-2016 at 02:13 AM.
targetingxmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #107
Tech Apprentice

They seemed to fix the power issue on the MMX but there's still a safeguard that shuts the esc down at a certain temp! I've ran the same exact setup with my MM2 with NO issue at all, but I can't even get a full run in with the MMX so it's still junk in my eyes
MallenP30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:48 PM   #108
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenP30 View Post
They seemed to fix the power issue on the MMX but there's still a safeguard that shuts the esc down at a certain temp! I've ran the same exact setup with my MM2 with NO issue at all, but I can't even get a full run in with the MMX so it's still junk in my eyes
Good job Castle!!
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:06 AM   #109
Tech Apprentice

XLX firmware is now available, I've upgraded but haven't tested it yet! I did notice that the current limiting is still the same at 260A so it'll most likely still put out less power than the XL2
Old 07-13-2016, 07:38 AM   #110
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenP30 View Post
XLX firmware is now available, I've upgraded but haven't tested it yet! I did notice that the current limiting is still the same at 260A so it'll most likely still put out less power than the XL2
Hmm I didn't notice that the current limit only went up to 260A, I had just set it to Disabled and have never had an issue.

Here is a datalog file from the new firmware, I had currents over 308A and have never had a current shutdown.

XLX_Losi5T_Run3.zip
awesomenesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #111
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenesser View Post
Hmm I didn't notice that the current limit only went up to 260A, I had just set it to Disabled and have never had an issue.

Here is a datalog file from the new firmware, I had currents over 308A and have never had a current shutdown.

Attachment 1376023
It didn't go up, it stayed the same!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #112
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenesser View Post

Attachment 1376023
Yea that's a good sign then, the most I've seen my XL2 pull was 337A and it has a max of 300A, so hopefully the XLX allows me to pull close to the same but I doubt it with a 40a difference!
Old 07-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #113
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default XLX vs XL2

I am running the XL2 in my Redcat Rampage MT Electric conversion. Its pushing 8S with the 2028 780kv motor. I love it. Plenty of power and the 2028 motor can handle up to 12S i believe. I ended up adding a Cap pack to ensure voltage regulation was on point. I don't use any limiting on the XL2..the ESC is a beast.
bigboyz12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #114
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz12000 View Post
I am running the XL2 in my Redcat Rampage MT Electric conversion. Its pushing 8S with the 2028 780kv motor. I love it. Plenty of power and the 2028 motor can handle up to 12S i believe. I ended up adding a Cap pack to ensure voltage regulation was on point. I don't use any limiting on the XL2..the ESC is a beast.
Good to hear, can't wait to try it when I get off work since I fried my XL2 I hope it performs just as good so we don't have to look for alternatives
Old 07-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #115
Tech Apprentice

Ok I got a chance to test the new firmware out in the XLX and the power issue is definitely fixed without a doubt, I only had the chance to mess around in front of the house so not a full run but from what I've seen so far it feels like it has quite a bit more torque than the XL2 if you can imagine lol! Can't wait to get a full run in
Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #116
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

any VXP Racing ESC tryout ?
I have MM2, Hobbywing 150A PRO (the old one), MAX5 and a Castle XL (dunno exact model now)
Old 10-29-2016, 11:50 PM   #117
Tech Initiate

Default What?

Where do you come up with such blatant misinformation about the Hobbywing Max 5? You couldnt be further from the truth? Lmao!! Seriously and you make up some KV numbers? I really hate reading stupid worthless comments like that and it doesnt have anything behind backing it up. I run many of the Max 5's and run higher KV than that on 8s without any issue at all. First of all you need to know how to gear a motor and understand max rpm and keep within the scope of the motor and esc. I run a 1:1 ratio on a 1640kv and with 8s and no issues. I run a 1.25:1 ratio on a 1700KV motor on 8s with no issues. I can guarantee my XL2 will melt down or drowned under water in either one of my applications. Quality motors, batteries, along with the Max 5 will give you excellent performance. Id suspect whatever you had going on was a connector or user end issue of some order that had nothing to do with the ESC. Or your blabbing the mouth off from whatever some blurb that came out of another persons mouth that was in turn a blatant lie, or again, end user error. Comments like that are what make the internet undafe for new members and hobbyists trying to learn and find what works. Some people love Castle so much they will say anything. I own both and many more as a Hobby store owner and reseller i have experience in many of the product lines out there and while Castle does great advertising they certainly are not the best. They work well in my day to day bashers however anything i am serious about running they do not typically get used. It isnt always how much you spend that gives you the best performance. I tend to veer toward whats been thoroughly tested at our shop and find combinations appropriate for those particular builds and the Max 5 is an all around great choice for 1/8 and 1/5 applications. We even have a couple 1/10 scales that use them. Please for the sake of the hobby dont generalize a product even if you had one defect you experienced. Because if we did that I would have to call Castle junk. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_T View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing. There's little real-life info around on the HobbyWings being used successfully for speed stuff.

Lizard tried an Alien Power System 8S 250A Gen3 once, but wasn't very impressed: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...848#post428848

SkyRC Toro Beast seems to struggle with some issues as well: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2573823&page=2
Uguessedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:37 AM   #118
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
Where do you come up with such blatant misinformation about the Hobbywing Max 5? You couldnt be further from the truth? Lmao!! Seriously and you make up some KV numbers? I really hate reading stupid worthless comments like that and it doesnt have anything behind backing it up. I run many of the Max 5's and run higher KV than that on 8s without any issue at all. First of all you need to know how to gear a motor and understand max rpm and keep within the scope of the motor and esc. I run a 1:1 ratio on a 1640kv and with 8s and no issues. I run a 1.25:1 ratio on a 1700KV motor on 8s with no issues. I can guarantee my XL2 will melt down or drowned under water in either one of my applications. Quality motors, batteries, along with the Max 5 will give you excellent performance. Id suspect whatever you had going on was a connector or user end issue of some order that had nothing to do with the ESC. Or your blabbing the mouth off from whatever some blurb that came out of another persons mouth that was in turn a blatant lie, or again, end user error. Comments like that are what make the internet undafe for new members and hobbyists trying to learn and find what works. Some people love Castle so much they will say anything. I own both and many more as a Hobby store owner and reseller i have experience in many of the product lines out there and while Castle does great advertising they certainly are not the best. They work well in my day to day bashers however anything i am serious about running they do not typically get used. It isnt always how much you spend that gives you the best performance. I tend to veer toward whats been thoroughly tested at our shop and find combinations appropriate for those particular builds and the Max 5 is an all around great choice for 1/8 and 1/5 applications. We even have a couple 1/10 scales that use them. Please for the sake of the hobby dont generalize a product even if you had one defect you experienced. Because if we did that I would have to call Castle junk. Good luck.
Either you haven't figured out how to quote the right post or you must have had a bit of a bad day. Either way, if you'd like to prove tc4basher's post is indeed "blatantly misinforming" (lol), please share some results with us so we can learn from your "hobby store owner" expertise. Take care man .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
The Hobbywing Max 5 200a ESC is also A POS. If you try running more than 1000kv on 8s or 1600kv on 6s the throttle will cut out after 1 or 2 seconds of WOT. Hobbywing told me this is a safty mode it goes into. Did manage 113 mph one time with it on the same setup exact setup I went 134 mph with a XL2. Dont waste your money on Hobbywing either. Only good 1/5 option for speed is XL2 but they are all gone now.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #119
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uguessedit View Post
Wow. You must have really had a bad day when writing that post. Bad day of hobbyshop Hobbywing sales?

I was just sharing my experiences with the Hobbywing Max 5 and what their tech support told me. It's not like i didn't want it to work after spending more money than I ever have on a ESC for the overly expensive Max 5. I have no reason to make up kv numbers. If you have such great experience with Hobbywing performance why don't you share some numbers or videos? Because without any, you are just running your mouth.

My cars and pretty much all the world's fastest cars run Castle ESCs. I have ran MPH numbers in the 160's with my Mugen MGT7 and also have multiple cars in the 120s, 130s, 140s. All running Castle escs and you don't think I know how to gear a car? I go with what works and is proven, regardless of being water proof or not which means nothing in the speed game.

Share some results and/or videos with the Hobbywing putting up numbers if you have or want any credibilty. If not, you're the one just running your mouth.

Last edited by tc4basher; 10-30-2016 at 09:00 PM.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #120
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hobbywing's warranty < Castle's warranty is a fact that more people, like me, care about. In speedruns you're pretty much going to throw some of your money away because of broken parts/electronics.

With that being said, Hobbywing's own user manual says you can't go over 1000kv on 8s. Current limit is 200A continuous, 6A BEC, etc. I just made my decision recently and didn't really find any reason to buy the Hobbywing over the XL-X. It's not only more expensive, but it has less going for it.

Also, what's the front banner on their newly revamped website about? "They're coming?"
RepEvox is offline   Reply With Quote