R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #61
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
MGMs supposedly have fail safes as well. The amp rating for XL2 is 150a and XLX is 160a.
Well I gotta think even with a fail safe if the MGM is rated for 100-150 more amps than the XL2 or XLX it's gotta handle a setup like we have much easier and run much cooler, and again not to mention it's half the size even with the 2 fans and 2 heatsinks it comes with! I may have to bite the bullet and try one out lol!
MallenP30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #62
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenP30 View Post
Well I gotta think even with a fail safe if the MGM is rated for 100-150 more amps than the XL2 or XLX it's gotta handle a setup like we have much easier and run much cooler, and again not to mention it's half the size even with the 2 fans and 2 heatsinks it comes with! I may have to bite the bullet and try one out lol!
After wasting good money on an XLX and HobbyWing's equally crappy 200a 8s capable Max 5, I am very skeptical about unproven 1/5 scale ESCs. If you are willing to take a stab in the dark with a MGM, I hope you have good results and keep us posted.
tc4basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #63
Tech Adept

Quote:
So what is the issue with MGM controllers again? Besides being expensive as hell? I've been looking at one that's 8S capable, 250A continuous 300A max for 5 sec for right at $300, it's also nearly half the size of the XL2, it has everything the XL2 has, just wondering if price is the only issue? Another thing is castle doesn't even give the AMP rating for the XL2 or XLX
from my understanding the MGM controllers are used by some FE boat racers who have the extra cash and love them.. they have also been used to set some SAW records
brushless55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #64
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_T View Post
The first plot was all the driving I did, so it was just a very short run, resting Voltage on batteries was around 3.9V/cell when I got home. From the log, the ESC temp seems pretty stable towards the ends of the driving parts, so looks good to me. Without regearing, 8S will be a bit more demanding though and should see big increase in Current demand, so good for testing how the Current limiter works, and if that Leopard can keep its head cool .
Ah, that make sense. I saw read more about the update for the XLX. The sad part is I want to see others run it without the current limited on 8S before I try with mine lol! I will slowly start working on installing my XLX, very sloooowwwwly and hope that someone proves it in the meantime.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #65
Tech Adept

Quote:
There's still some XL2s out there, I just ordered one today so I have a backup in case anything happens to the one I'm running
Can you PM a link to me? I can't find any.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
Can you PM a link to me? I can't find any.
Sorry I take that statement back! I ordered one from active powersports and 2 days later they refunded my PayPal account! But it DID show them in stock, I think I might try the MGM
Old 05-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #67
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
Ah, that make sense. I saw read more about the update for the XLX. The sad part is I want to see others run it without the current limited on 8S before I try with mine lol! I will slowly start working on installing my XLX, very sloooowwwwly and hope that someone proves it in the meantime.
I'll be testing mine out this weekend with the current limiting disabled! 8S speed run setup on a Mugen MGT7
Old 05-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #68
Tech Addict

Quote:
I'll be testing mine out this weekend with the current limiting disabled! 8S speed run setup on a Mugen MGT7
Good luck!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:25 AM   #69
Tech Addict

Quote:
Any news yet? Are you the guy with the Mugen blowing GRP Velocities at over 160 mph?

I tested my XLX on 8S (total of 8 Ah, Turnigy Heavy Duty) in the 10kg 1/5th Vader buggy, geared for ~66mph no-load off-road use. With the Current limit still set to 220A, I got Current peaks of up to ~250A, with less than 1.1V ripple.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Castle writes on Facebook, "We are actively working on a fix. And very sorry for the delay. Hang tight, we'll make it right!"

That's really great to hear.
0verkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #71
Tech Adept

Quote:
With the Current limit still set to 220A, I got Current peaks of up to ~250A, with less than 1.1V ripple.
How the heck can you remove, or at least change the limit of the amps? I can't find anywhere!
And can someone explain what ripple is, please, and what effect it have on an engine. Thx
Tzicul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #72
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
How the heck can you remove, or at least change the limit of the amps? I can't find anywhere!
And can someone explain what ripple is, please, and what effect it have on an engine. Thx
Go into the "advanced" tab in the Castlink and go to current limiting.

Cant really explain but you dont want too much ripple voltage. Adding a cap pack usually lowers ripple voltage.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #73
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
Castle writes on Facebook, "We are actively working on a fix. And very sorry for the delay. Hang tight, we'll make it right!"

That's really great to hear.
Im keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #74
Tech Addict

Quote:
Any news yet? Are you the guy with the Mugen blowing GRP Velocities at over 160 mph?

I tested my XLX on 8S (total of 8 Ah, Turnigy Heavy Duty) in the 10kg 1/5th Vader buggy, geared for ~66mph no-load off-road use. With the Current limit still set to 220A, I got Current peaks of up to ~250A, with less than 1.1V ripple.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It was my Mugen that kept blowing GRP velocities. I only use them for bashing now.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 AM   #75
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Here's a link to a post from Patrick del Castillo (Castle President) about ripple: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?p=394042. The reason it is bad is not because of the motor, but because it is hard on the ESC. Continuous high ripple use means it's more likely the ESC will die prematurely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4basher View Post
It was my Mugen that kept blowing GRP velocities. I only use them for bashing now.
Awesome man, you're a hero! Did you end up testing 8S with Current limit disabled? If so, could you post some logs of that? Curious to see what's going on in some high-speed set-ups.