Wiki Posts
Search

ESC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ESC Problems

Hi everyone

I bought a TC3 and have just started to get into racing as I have alwasy had a Savgae and was only used to bashing....

The TC3 I bought was a ready to run version and after going to a few race meets with it noticed I couldnt keep up with the others on the straights so I bought a Reedy 19t Quad Mag and it made a big difference but the stock (LRP Runner) ESC started to get hot......

I bought a Novak XRS at the weekend in the hope that it would cure it but in my first race I lost brake/reverse and that was red hot too and it seems like it has blown already

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice on either a decent ESC or if its something I am doing wrong? With it been so close to Christmas I could do with it not been very expensive too lol

My gearing is low and the motor is just warm not hot,,,,,

Thanks
Stu
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RompingDonkey
Hi everyone

I bought a TC3 and have just started to get into racing as I have alwasy had a Savgae and was only used to bashing....

The TC3 I bought was a ready to run version and after going to a few race meets with it noticed I couldnt keep up with the others on the straights so I bought a Reedy 19t Quad Mag and it made a big difference but the stock (LRP Runner) ESC started to get hot......

I bought a Novak XRS at the weekend in the hope that it would cure it but in my first race I lost brake/reverse and that was red hot too and it seems like it has blown already

I would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice on either a decent ESC or if its something I am doing wrong? With it been so close to Christmas I could do with it not been very expensive too lol

My gearing is low and the motor is just warm not hot,,,,,

Thanks
Stu
on a budget see if you can find a used Novak Dually, it is big... but it has no motor limit and it worked perfectly fo rme when I first started racing.
Also sometimes you can find a good deal on a used GT7 or QC2 both are still great ESC's
I hope that helps.
-Shookie <><
Old 12-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in our area we prohibit the use of reverse at races...i would just go get it replaced or if your looking for something better i would get a used Novak GT7 or GTX if your into Novak
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies

I dont know anything about ESC's to be honest, The only reason I got a Novak is I had a super sport brushless awhile ago when I had a bike and it was a good bit of kit but this XRS as been rubbish.,,,, it didnt even last a five minute race.

I will start looking for the ones you have both recommended.

Thanks again
Old 12-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the replies

I dont know anything about ESC's to be honest, The only reason I got a Novak is I had a super sport brushless awhile ago when I had a bike and it was a good bit of kit but this XRS as been rubbish.,,,, it didnt even last a five minute race.

I will start looking for the ones you have both recommended.

Thanks again
By chance, were you using a schotty diode on the motor when you ran the XRS?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by koabich
By chance, were you using a schotty diode on the motor when you ran the XRS?

Not as I know of mate....

I am just running a Reedy 19t Quad Mag.. . Sorry about this but I am pretty new to all this new electric
Old 12-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know anything about these????

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFun...n&ItemID=23690

Thanks
Stu
Old 12-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Not as I know of mate....

I am just running a Reedy 19t Quad Mag.. . Sorry about this but I am pretty new to all this new electric
Well running ESC's with reverse and a Schotty Diode on your motor will fry the ESC just as you mentioned. I would make sure you know what one is and then make sure it's not on your motor!
Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Initiate

I have just read all the specs on my motor and I cant find anywhere where it says anything about schottky diodes
Old 12-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

I have just read all the specs on my motor and I cant find anywhere where it says anything about schottky diodes
If you never soldered one on, then you don't have one.

The XRS ESC is probably the worst you could possibly get. It has countless problems with handling motors well and truely above it's max. turn rating. Don't let this fool you into thinking that Novak sells crap, though. Novak is top of the line.

The Novak Dually is a great ESC, but too bad it has been discontinued. I'm sure your Local Hobby Shop would still have come in stock, though. Otherwise I suggest a used GT7. They go for around $55-65 in the For Sale Forums.