Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Personal Transponder

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Default Personal Transponder

Our local track just installed the new AMB system lastnite. After reading the instructions I was wondering if they had changed the led color from green to orange? Mine is orange??? The reason I ask is because my car miscounted one lap in all three quals and the main. The red and black wire are in the correct places and I am using a Novak XXTra receiver with the transponder plugged into the batt slot. There are no troubleshooting comments in the instructions or on the website. Does anybody have any ideas? Maybe it was where I mounted it. It was mounted in two different places. One time is was on the servo and the other was on the chassis behind the servo. The receiver is mounted vertical on the chassis tunnel.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had a simalar problem it was due to the way I had it mounted. It needs to lay flat other than that I don't know what else to tell you
Old 11-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

What color is your led? I run a Losi XXX-S and I am thinking about trying to screw it to the upper front bumper brace. Where are other people mounting them on the XXX-S?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

The instructions do say to mount the unit flat, and not to mount on graphite chassis. I mounted mine by cutting a recess in the front bumper (Mission) foam, but under the upper brace. No tape or screws required, the bumper foam also protects it from those unavoidable situations.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It does say that you shouldnt mount on any graphite, but the chassis now arent full graphite, there a graphite composite. I,v tryed mounting it on my servo in my XXXT and i got some glitchs and it didnt count.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

My old track had counting problems when the loop was laid under the cars - but when they fitted the loop on a gantry over the cars, things were sorted.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

As for the different colour led, I read somewhere that they recently changed them from green to orange or the other way round, no difference in how they work. I think servo's can block the transponder signal so best not place it on top.
Old 11-10-2002, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have mine mounted on the top of my servo and haven’t had a lap miscounted in the five months I've owned it.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

I've had mine on top of my servo (in the case of my pan car) which is over a layer of woven graphite - never a miscount; and mounted between my front body posts (in the case of my TC3) - again, never a miscount.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i run mine right on top of my servo in my tc3 with no problems. about the amber led, mine is green as the instructions say but last month a couple of guys i know got a couple of personal transpoders and theirs were amber but they ended up working fine.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:44 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mine is the Orange LED, and works fine. I just bought mine last week.

-T
Old 11-10-2002, 10:47 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The single most important thing is to mount your transponder horizontally, regardless of where it is.

I have seen many people mount it on top of the servo without any problems. In my XXX-S, I run it flat in the chassis between the motor and the servo, with no problems yet.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys. Sounds like the raceway has an issue with the loop then. I appreciate all the responses!!
Old 11-11-2002, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Another idea is that on a xxx-t when you mount the transponder on top of the servo the front shock tower leans back and might block the signal from the transponder, especially if the shock tower is graphite. Just a thought.