Serpent 5.0

Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Would it be possible for a MOD to rename this thread to Serpent project 4-X? for it seems to be the one that is used for the car but the name is very wrong.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
Would it be possible for a MOD to rename this thread to Serpent project 4-X? for it seems to be the one that is used for the car but the name is very wrong.
Agreed. I asked the same question quite a while ago but nothing happened.

The 4-X is going really well so far in Luxembourg at the ETS race. Viktor is fifth in controlled practice ahead of Rheinard and other big names. The car is looking very good on track. Can't wait to get my hands on one!!
Old 06-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have to say I absolutely love the look of this car - I had a soft spot for the awesomatix, but I never thought much of the shocks - this is the closest looking thing to an F1 car. I always wondered when Serpent would use it's 1/8 on road know how count in TC - as opposed to another Tamiya 'me too' clone.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Roll damper

Originally Posted by TryHard
Technically it's a pull Rod setup.
The links connect to the upper arms, and then down to the rockers by the lower hinge pin. Turnbuckles then link the rockers to the connectors for the shocks.
The single shock underneath controls the pitch motion, as the whole mounting rotates on the bearings across the horizontal axis (can see bearings mounted like the recent ARB trends), and acts to only compress this shock, not the roll damper.
In roll, the links cause the central part of the housing to rotate around a vertical axis, which then makes the roll damper (the central round section with the small black springs either side) slide side to side, compressiong the small springs. This bit is effectively replacing the arb.

The system is basically a small scale version of what goes on in full size race cars with a triple damper setup, like f1 and LMP (although f1 has progressed to hydraulic springs with inerters these days), where the pitch and roll damping can be tuned independent of each other. Pretty trick setup IMO.
Is the 'roll damper' a tuned 'mass damper' like they had on the Bennetton F1 car, or have I got that wrong?

If so I was wondering when someone scaled that down for an RC car - very impressive.

I bet you they have a clear set of instructions based upon conditions as to how much the damper is 'damped' so to speak
Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM
alb
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31

I did that a couple weeks ago.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...oject-4-x.html
Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Technically speaking, 5.0 is a much more accurate name since it is a major version change. 4.X is appropriate for minor changes which this car is definitely not. Not to mention, they haven't released an official name yet, correct? If it ends up being a 3rd option, you're gonna be requesting another thread name change soon
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nwagner
Technically speaking, 5.0 is a much more accurate name since it is a major version change. 4.X is appropriate for minor changes which this car is definitely not. Not to mention, they haven't released an official name yet, correct? If it ends up being a 3rd option, you're gonna be requesting another thread name change soon
5.0 is the best guess... You would think for sales n marketing. But yet again, it's Serpent. What the heck is a Eryx any how?
Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The FastFred
What the heck is a Eryx any how?
A kind of snake. Surprise! After all it's a car from... wait for it... Serpent.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Loheswaran
Is the 'roll damper' a tuned 'mass damper' like they had on the Bennetton F1 car, or have I got that wrong?
Different things. The mass-dampers used in F1 weren't really part of the suspension. They were separate dampers, with a mass (weight) attached, tuned to damp out the undamped vibrations from the tyres, which move a huge amount on an F1 car.

If so I was wondering when someone scaled that down for an RC car - very impressive.
It's an impressive piece of engineering, but probably unnecessary. The reason pitch is heavily controlled on an F1 car is because F1 aerodynamics are very sensitive to changes in pitch. That's where the active suspension of the early 90s came from, and the reason for the passive hydraulics (FRIC) used more recently.

On a platform with fairly neutral aero like a touring car, it's not necessary to control pitch like that. As far as I'm aware full-size cars like BTCC and WTCC just use 4 coil-over dampers and twin ARBs like we do.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bet you they have a clear set of instructions based upon conditions as to how much the damper is 'damped' so to speak
It kinda depends which concept your talking about...The original mass damper concept was a totally separate system that got banned. It wasn't linked to the suspension, just was a suspended weight which was utilised to help damp out tyre frequency movement, due to the big sidewalls used on F1 cars.
After that system was banned, teams utilised rotating weights with worm gears in damper bodies (so called inertia dampers) in the third damper position to help replicate a similar effect, whilst linking it to actual suspension movement

A lot of that has been replaced with interlinked hydraulic systems these days though (which on a side note linking front to rear - FRIC - is now not allowed... although linking left to right is still possible).

I would be surprised if it's a mass/interia damper on the Serpent though. Suspect it's simply a damper to damp the roll movement, independent from the pitch movement. Think of it like a 12th pod, where you have separate roll and centre dampers.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
A kind of snake. Surprise! After all it's a car from... wait for it... Serpent.
Yup. same as all their other current cars. Natrix, cobra, viper....
Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by daleburr
Different things. The mass-dampers used in F1 weren't really part of the suspension. They were separate dampers, with a mass (weight) attached, tuned to damp out the undamped vibrations from the tyres, which move a huge amount on an F1 car.
To me it looks like they have moved the flex into a suspension thing but now with springs and damping more controlable.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

4-X End of AUG Release

www.facebook.com/rcmarkethk/
Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

interesting
Old 09-21-2016, 03:31 PM
LKF
Tech Apprentice

here are some pics of pre production car of german stock frontrunner thomas stenger and more information about release of 4x

http://mikanews.de/2016/09/17/chassi...homas-stenger/