Wiki Posts
Search

TA05 Steering Integrity

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 03:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TA05 Steering Integrity

Hi All,

For the most part I'm very happy with my TA05 but I find that it doesn't take much of a knock to the front end to make the steering go awry, thus requiring constant correction and/or trim tab adjustment. This can be unnerving during a race.

I'm using the metal geared servo that came with my Spektrum DX3 after trying out a Hitec 475HB and still I'm having tracking problems after a minor brush with a board or another competitor.

Has anyone else noticed this issue with their TA05s? My suspicion is that the stock servo saver is too stiff, which means that the steering links are bearing the brunt of impacts. Should I consider switching to another type of servo saver and/or titanium turnbuckles with heftier ball cups?

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Balance1973
Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am not farmiliar with that servo, I use a S9550 and I have no issues
Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Need more information. Are you saying your steering links have bent? Change them for Ti ones. Double check that the swing rack assembly is tight. I had the same problem with my 05, and found it was the servo moving on the mounts (actually broke the servo tab in the first lap of a A final )
This was my own fault tho, as im using a high speed Hitec MG with the alloy servo horn, and no saver lol.

Apart from the above, double check that your ball cups are snug, make sure your ball joints are tightened, and if its still loose in the steering, u can put the orange o rings over the balls before you put the ball cup on... this takes out the slop in the ball cup joints. Dont use the black o rings as they are too hard and will bind the steering. Mine is rock solid now... i love it.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Balance1973
Hi All,

For the most part I'm very happy with my TA05 but I find that it doesn't take much of a knock to the front end to make the steering go awry, thus requiring constant correction and/or trim tab adjustment. This can be unnerving during a race.

I'm using the metal geared servo that came with my Spektrum DX3 after trying out a Hitec 475HB and still I'm having tracking problems after a minor brush with a board or another competitor.

Has anyone else noticed this issue with their TA05s? My suspicion is that the stock servo saver is too stiff, which means that the steering links are bearing the brunt of impacts. Should I consider switching to another type of servo saver and/or titanium turnbuckles with heftier ball cups?

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Balance1973
Get rid of the crap servo saver, use a kimbrough instead.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The stock servo saver has a lot of play in it, and it will stick slightly off center when you tap something or even when going thru a high speed sweeper.
Get yourself a Kimbrough servo saver, the black hard one, well worth the $5. investment.
In the mean time you can stick a piece of a plastic parts bag in between the spring gap on the stock one.
Fred
Old 12-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Agreed, Cojone's done you right. GET RID OF THAT SERVO SAVER!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default TA05 Steering Woes

Servo Saver it is!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I had a sneaking suspicion that you'd mention Kimbrough servo savers. I've used them in the past and had NO problems whatsoever with them. I think I'll be investing in one VERY soon.

Regards,

Balance1973
Old 12-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dsrbltoys
Agreed, Cojone's done you right. GET RID OF THAT SERVO SAVER!!!!!!
Kevin deserves the credit for that, after all he is the one that "steered me strait"
Old 12-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Tech Rookie

I went out earlier today and got hold of a Kimbrough #201. I fitted it to the car whilst doing a stripdown and rebuild in preparation for a race meet out at Templestowe tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Regards,

Balance1973
Old 12-11-2005, 03:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys,

The news is all good - I didn't have to touch the trim tabs or re-adjust the steering servo ONCE during racing out at Templestowe earlier today. The car tracked straight and true for the entire day. This was despite having altercations with a couple of rival cars and launching the TA05 off some plow discs.

The steering integrity allowed me to concentrate wholly and solely on driving the car, and as a result I obtained some really good consistency scores.

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas!

Balance1973